Rogers Unlocked Lumia 900 Internet Tethering Working

tomcahill

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I thought I would share that I was able to get internet sharing working on my unlocked Lumia 900 (originally from Rogers) running on the Bell network.

It was a total fluke, but here is what I did.

I had already downloaded and played with the Nokia Care Suite. I frequently use Data package Manager to see if there is an update available. Tonight when I did this a new package was listed. Nokia 900 RM-808 Telcel MX MX Black V1 with SW Version 2175.2302.8779.12310. I thought, what could it hurt to load this and see what happens. In the back of my mind I was thinking if I brick my phone then I have an excuse to go grab a Galaxy SIII of Kijiji.

I downloaded the package and then launched Product Support Tool For Store from the Care Suite. I used that in Recovery mode to install the Telcel SW onto my phone. After about 2 minutes I stupidly moved my phone and the cable disconected and it wouldn't boot up. I thought I was pooched. However, when re-connecting the phone, the support tool recognized it in flash mode and I was able to re-flash the phone with the SW and it worked.

The phone booted up in Italian, but I was able tochange the language to English.

I went through the setup, then I checked what came pre-loaded on the phone. I have heard that European ROMS come with Network Setup pre-loaded so I was hopeful I would have it, but I didn't. Then I thought, what about internet sharing? I added the Bell APN, then went to internet sharing and turned it on. Voila! It worked! I was able to configure the SSID and password. Then just to be sure I grabbed my laptop and connected to the hotspot, and it worked. Very well! I went to speedtest.net and it showed 10Mbps down and almost 4Mpbs up, and this was in my basement with 3 bars.

Everything else seems to be working. I have re-setup my email. Downloaded apps. Setup facebook, etc...

Voicemail doesn't work right away, it is set to dial *86, but I quickly googled how to change the voicemail number (Phone -> call settings ->voicemail number) and I got that sorted out.

MMS still doesn't work because Network Setup isn't available in Canada, but I was more interested in the internet sharing anyhow.

Hopefully this will help others using a Rogers Lumia 900 on other networks. Obviously you do this at your own risk, if you brick your phone it's your problem, not mine :D

iop777

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
How'd you get your data work on Bell? I also have a unlocked 900 on Bell and when I try to browse or even use the people app trough data it wont load. I have Bell's APN in.

tomcahill

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Huge update!

I noticed today there was another new ROM available. This was another TelCel package but it said LTE Variant. (or something close to that)

I flashed my phone with that ROM, hoping I would have 4G displayed and not H and/or Network Setup App would be part of the ROM.

Well, no 4G, it says H. However I have been testing speeds with the Bandwidth App and my 4G speeds are the same as I got when it said H so I was not too worried about that anymore.

Here is the awesome part. I am able to send and receive MMS now!

No network setup app. It just works. It must actually be getting the settings from my SIM. I didn't need to add a data APN either.

This confirms that Nokia has been correct all along, the phone SHOULD be able to get the settings from your SIM. It also confirms that Rogers and AT&T are disabling this auto-configuration in their ROMS. Very shady on their parts.

So now, I have a Lumia 900, unlocked, running on Bell, with working internet sharing and MMS. I am very, very happy!

g4mb10r

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
Telcel how?

How did you get a Tecel ROM on a Rogers phone? They have different product codes. Nokia Tool for Store won;t let you do that.

hellomiggy

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
How did you get a Tecel ROM on a Rogers phone? They have different product codes. Nokia Tool for Store won;t let you do that.

You just change the product codes, you get the one from the last update. On the downloads you look for the product codes from Telcel and switch them and refresh from Nokia's Tool Suite and it'll catch it as Bell's. It'll update. At least, something to that nature.

tomcahill

Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
TelCel on Rogers phone

Actually, I opened Product Support Tool For Store, then clicked on File -> Open Product, put Rm-808 in the filter and selected that then clicked Open.

Then I clicked on Programming, and Recovery.

From there I could flash the phone with the TelCel ROM. However, this was not an update. It was a recovery, all my settings, etc... were gone and I had to re-setup my phone. It was totally worth it though and 90% of my setting are tied to my Microsoft Account so it's really just putting in that and my email settings and re-downloading any apps I had. You don't have to re-buy them, just click on buy and it says you already bought it do you want to re-install, say yes.

slayerx

Jun 3, 2012
Visit site
I noticed today there was another new ROM available. This was another TelCel package but it said LTE Variant. (or something close to that)

I flashed my phone with that ROM, hoping I would have 4G displayed and not H and/or Network Setup App would be part of the ROM.

Well, no 4G, it says H. However I have been testing speeds with the Bandwidth App and my 4G speeds are the same as I got when it said H so I was not too worried about that anymore.

Here is the awesome part. I am able to send and receive MMS now!

No network setup app. It just works. It must actually be getting the settings from my SIM. I didn't need to add a data APN either.

This confirms that Nokia has been correct all along, the phone SHOULD be able to get the settings from your SIM. It also confirms that Rogers and AT&T are disabling this auto-configuration in their ROMS. Very shady on their parts.

So now, I have a Lumia 900, unlocked, running on Bell, with working internet sharing and MMS. I am very, very happy!
yes, this totally works. Big Thanks!!

i had some initial problems, and found after i reloaded/reset, that i couldn't load the MS account in until after the system finished installing the apps. then i went back and added it, and it worked great.
MMS and tethering

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I think there is a way to get this working just by messing with the network Setup option. I have an ATT 900 and I was mucking with it, trying the Bell setting above. Instead of getting that piss me off ATT message about tethering I got a message that cellular data wasn't enabled. This makes me think that you can make this work with Straight Talk if you can get the right settings to establish a cellular data connection.

RPG951S

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
@tomcahill

Thank you!!!! This worked perfectly for me as well.
I have a Rogers Lumia 900 on Telus.

Internet Sharing and MMS working straight out-of-the-box with no configuration required.

It's a dream come true!

plinkytx

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Any luck with AT&T 900s? Been trying with Care Suite, but it keeps springing up an error code when I try anything other than an AT&T rom.

waqqas31

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I have a Lumia 710, but the only packages available for Telcel are:

Telcel MX .. V5
Telcel MX .. V2
white/black

So there's no Telcel LTE Variant (which makes sense since the 710 doesn't support LTE).

Has anyone tried any of these or does anyone know of a firmware for the 710 that will automatically pick up MMS settings?

mdram

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Tom's steps worked for me as well. Haven't tested MMS but ICS works so far on Bell. Oh, I couldn't find that TELCEL LTE ROM you were talking about but I used the first one you mentioned. I'm getting an H in the top bar instead of 4G now, but I'm not able to access LTE on Bell anyway. I will run speed tests when I go into town to make sure the HSPA+ speeds are still there.

flame l

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I thought I would share that I was able to get internet sharing working on my unlocked Lumia 900 (originally from Rogers) running on the Bell network.

It was a total fluke, but here is what I did.

I had already downloaded and played with the Nokia Care Suite. I frequently use Data package Manager to see if there is an update available. Tonight when I did this a new package was listed. Nokia 900 RM-808 Telcel MX MX Black V1 with SW Version 2175.2302.8779.12310. I thought, what could it hurt to load this and see what happens. In the back of my mind I was thinking if I brick my phone then I have an excuse to go grab a Galaxy SIII of Kijiji.

I downloaded the package and then launched Product Support Tool For Store from the Care Suite. I used that in Recovery mode to install the Telcel SW onto my phone. After about 2 minutes I stupidly moved my phone and the cable disconected and it wouldn't boot up. I thought I was pooched. However, when re-connecting the phone, the support tool recognized it in flash mode and I was able to re-flash the phone with the SW and it worked.

The phone booted up in Italian, but I was able tochange the language to English.

I went through the setup, then I checked what came pre-loaded on the phone. I have heard that European ROMS come with Network Setup pre-loaded so I was hopeful I would have it, but I didn't. Then I thought, what about internet sharing? I added the Bell APN, then went to internet sharing and turned it on. Voila! It worked! I was able to configure the SSID and password. Then just to be sure I grabbed my laptop and connected to the hotspot, and it worked. Very well! I went to speedtest.net and it showed 10Mbps down and almost 4Mpbs up, and this was in my basement with 3 bars.

Everything else seems to be working. I have re-setup my email. Downloaded apps. Setup facebook, etc...

Voicemail doesn't work right away, it is set to dial *86, but I quickly googled how to change the voicemail number (Phone -> call settings ->voicemail number) and I got that sorted out.

MMS still doesn't work because Network Setup isn't available in Canada, but I was more interested in the internet sharing anyhow.

Hopefully this will help others using a Rogers Lumia 900 on other networks. Obviously you do this at your own risk, if you brick your phone it's your problem, not mine :D

HI, can you check if you can find wind mobile in manual network scan.
Thanks,

fpalomino

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Re: TelCel on Rogers phone

I have an unlocked at&t Lumia 900 product code 059L6S0, I tried to do this procedure many times with different RM-808 versions like Telcel and others when flashing starts the tool shows the message: Recovery Failes. ERROR: OSBL reported an error! Code: 0x300FF. and the process stop. At the beginning y thougth the problem was the product code but I tried to flash with different at&t versions with different product codes and they works. Do you know any way to solve the problem?

Last edited:

jusdis

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Would you mind explaining to me how you changed the product code. I have tried everything I can think of and it stil doesnt show up. Thank you :)

vinscg

Jul 2, 2012
Visit site
all i had to do to get my unlocked rogers L900 to tether is: call my carrier activate tethering, reset your phone in about/settings section ..et voila! work

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes