Trading an HTC One X for a Lumia 900 - Yes, really

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Beauty they say is in the eye of the beholder. The One X, while most often being described as an HTC 'flagship' device is certainly a swank looking piece of equipment I hastily left my Lumia 900 for it. One does not simply leave Windows Phone after migrating from Android and go back to Android.

At the end of August I signed up for AT&T and purchased a Lumia 900 new on contract. (glossy white) To say a Windows Phone is user-friendly does not do the OS justice. It's slick, doesn't lock up on you and works when you need it to. Its minimalistic, out of your way and you aren't fighting with your phone with various tweaks and add-ons. The One X tries too hard to make things more accessbile, and in the end it isn't this thing of beauty I thought it would be.

Pros - Camera
Cons - Multi-tasking. Otherwise known as "What was I just doing? Shoot, just reopen the program"

Think I'm crazy?

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
The two One X I had were pos. That is why people should be wary of the 8x. I have no idea why there are so many HTC fans to be honest.

Go Ativ or Lumia 920 for sure. Unless you are coming from a GS3 like me, then the Ativ is kind of redundant.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I have owned the Eris, Incredible, Incredible 2 and now the One X. I barely got to use the Incredbile 2 as it had an issue during the rooting process and the device was essentially bricked. I have used non-HTC Android devices from Samsung and Motorola and can safely say that HTC makes the cleanest looking devices but not the best operating. Found a local guy with an unlocked Lumia 900 that he paid full retail for and received the unlock code from AT&T. I'm verifying it at a store tomorrow on my lunch.

karmamule

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I was using an HTC One X and really really liked it. I decided I wanted to develop Windows Phone apps so decided to add a second line for a Lumia 900 that I got used via Craigslist.

I ended up liking the Lumia so much that I ended up selling the HTC One X and getting a second Lumia 900. The new line is upgrade eligible so I'll end up with one Lumia 900 and one Lumia 920 by the end of the year.

So, no I don't think you're crazy at all! :)

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I was using an HTC One X and really really liked it. I decided I wanted to develop Windows Phone apps so decided to add a second line for a Lumia 900 that I got used via Craigslist.

I ended up liking the Lumia so much that I ended up selling the HTC One X and getting a second Lumia 900. The new line is upgrade eligible so I'll end up with one Lumia 900 and one Lumia 920 by the end of the year.

So, no I don't think you're crazy at all! :)

Well the trade was a bust. I didn't trust two of the three I had been emailing and went with the third. This guy was also a real winner. People, don't tell me that your phone is in excellent condition with scratches and dents on it. "Oh no, I didn't drop it"

Oh yeah? How about this over here?

Well that's just....that's just....

My phone has a flawless appearance. "Aren't you just going to put a case on it anyway?"

I don't know about you guys, but I'm happier if I put the scratches and dents on a phone as opposed to buying it that way.

Edit:

AT&T came through when they techincally did not have to. I never wanted something for nothing - I would pay a fee or whatever to switch back but I wasn't going to pay full retail to get a Lumia when I'm already on contract.

My local store is facilitating the return and I'll be rocking a Lumia again by this afternoon.

If I have an option on color should I go with Cyan or Black? I had the glossy white and I thought it was going to get scratched to ****.

Last edited:

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Beauty they say is in the eye of the beholder. The One X, while most often being described as an HTC 'flagship' device is certainly a swank looking piece of equipment I hastily left my Lumia 900 for it. One does not simply leave Windows Phone after migrating from Android and go back to Android.

At the end of August I signed up for AT&T and purchased a Lumia 900 new on contract. (glossy white) To say a Windows Phone is user-friendly does not do the OS justice. It's slick, doesn't lock up on you and works when you need it to. Its minimalistic, out of your way and you aren't fighting with your phone with various tweaks and add-ons. The One X tries too hard to make things more accessbile, and in the end it isn't this thing of beauty I thought it would be.

Pros - Camera
Cons - Multi-tasking. Otherwise known as "What was I just doing? Shoot, just reopen the program"

Think I'm crazy?

So, my wife and I are having the opposite experience from you. We each had a Lumia 900 and I also had the HTC Titan II. I recently switch to an HTC One X. Im my experience, there are alot of pros to an Android phone IF....and I repeat IF you android phone isn't all buggy. One glaring difference that I noticed after not using an Android for so long is the QUALITY (NOT QUANTITY) quality of apps. Before when I was using android, there were alot of apps that would force close quit a bit. Now, it seems the apps are of more quality and more reliable. I will download the same apps as I had on my Windows Phone and there quality and functionality of the apps are really different. And thats what drew me away. Especially with the new wave of WP8 devices coming out. Almost starting from scratch to develop the apps for those things...I told myself I'd wait a year. I really like windows phones, I do. I kind of miss it, but there was always something missing...and it was the quality of apps.

Some people use their phones differently. Some folks aren't app driven and some folks are. Some folks are more information driven rather than app driven. And there is nothing wrong with that. I like the dual purpose of a Windows tile: Information at a glance and an application opener. Android doesn't have that. There are pros and cons to each and at the moment I am with the pros of the HTC One X and GS3.

One thing I did hate is that Nokia was limiting their devices to only ATT. I don't know how that helps them. So I was going to get the 8X, but I am just sitting this round of Windows phone 8 out. I'm still on the forums though keeping up with the info though because I genuinely want them to succeed. I want back in, but not yet. Not on these terms. MSFT also messed up by giving the Xbox live and skydrive apps to Android as well. Those were two of my factors right there. You will say that Android wont have smartglass or whatever, but that wont be a huge end all be all ya know.

I really hope the App situation and the exclusivity situations evens out so more people can buy a top notch windows phone on every major US carrier and have the quality of apps they deserve.

Please don't ban me. I love you guys!

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
So, my wife and I are having the opposite experience from you. We each had a Lumia 900 and I also had the HTC Titan II. I recently switch to an HTC One X. Im my experience, there are alot of pros to an Android phone IF....and I repeat IF you android phone isn't all buggy. One glaring difference that I noticed after not using an Android for so long is the QUALITY (NOT QUANTITY) quality of apps. Before when I was using android, there were alot of apps that would force close quit a bit. Now, it seems the apps are of more quality and more reliable. I will download the same apps as I had on my Windows Phone and there quality and functionality of the apps are really different. And thats what drew me away. Especially with the new wave of WP8 devices coming out. Almost starting from scratch to develop the apps for those things...I told myself I'd wait a year. I really like windows phones, I do. I kind of miss it, but there was always something missing...and it was the quality of apps.

Some people use their phones differently. Some folks aren't app driven and some folks are. Some folks are more information driven rather than app driven. And there is nothing wrong with that. I like the dual purpose of a Windows tile: Information at a glance and an application opener. Android doesn't have that. There are pros and cons to each and at the moment I am with the pros of the HTC One X and GS3.

One thing I did hate is that Nokia was limiting their devices to only ATT. I don't know how that helps them. So I was going to get the 8X, but I am just sitting this round of Windows phone 8 out. I'm still on the forums though keeping up with the info though because I genuinely want them to succeed. I want back in, but not yet. Not on these terms. MSFT also messed up by giving the Xbox live and skydrive apps to Android as well. Those were two of my factors right there. You will say that Android wont have smartglass or whatever, but that wont be a huge end all be all ya know.

I really hope the App situation and the exclusivity situations evens out so more people can buy a top notch windows phone on every major US carrier and have the quality of apps they deserve.

Please don't ban me. I love you guys!
Eris - this was huge. Native Google Apps on a phone without the need to connect and link multiple services together in order to take your Google ecosystem on the go. The camera was subpar and the device was rather limited in many respects compared to the Motorola Droid that it launched with but it had the right form factor. Once the device was opened up and stable 2.2 AOSP roms were loaded onto it I did enjoy using it more. Eventually I went back to Palm and had a Pre for about 6 months before going back to HTC and Android.

Incredible - I was out of contract. I didn't have to do anything other than sit on my fat fanny and wait it out. The Pre I had eventually couldn't hold a charge while I was at a Blues hockey game and I had to give it up. Not using the phone and it heats up and dies. Not fun. Incredible had a great camera but was mucked up by Sense. I rooted the sucker and was running Cyanogenmod for a while but I gamed the system to get an Incredible 2.

Incredible 2 - the end of Verizon. Device would have been fine but I botched rooting it. I should have kept this and taken my replacement phone whenever that would have been. Instead I negotiated out of contract and switched to Sprint.

Nexus S 4G - Pure Android, crippled by the fact it wouldn't perform smoothly beyond Gingerbread. Bugless Beast 2.3.7 on this was incredible. Even Google Wallet worked after the updates to allow people to use any credit card, but sadly it was limited to the prepaid card that is no longer an option. The plastic feel to it was kind of a bummer though as the device felt cheap. The 5MP shooter was actually pretty decent.

Photon 4G - My wife had this and hated every second of every day with it. I thought it had to be her phone so to prove it I swapped out my phone for a Photon. It wasn't fun trying to root it and that was botched, so I managed to get a replacement device and used that for a while. The camera was lackluster. Battery life was OK and Gingerbread wasn't bad on this. The MotoBlur / NinjaBlur / so annoying I can't stand it Blur was a bummer. I had this for all of two months and switched back to the Nexus.

I had the Nexus S until I terminated my contract with Sprint for lack of coverage in my area due to their work on 4G LTE in our area. A tower was not fully operational so I was being given monthly credits until the situation was resolved. They let me get out of contract and go with another company provided I return the phone.

Lumia 900 - The camera was the only thing I didn't like about this phone. I still don't love it, but at the core of everything it performed better than the One X.

Nokia has demonstrated good support on the Lumia 900, so I'm not worried about topping off at 7.8 as far as software upgrades are concerned. Jellybean on the One X might be nice, as would root but the dedicated image sensor on the One X would have to play nice with a custom ROM. I'm not sure any do and I don't want to keep sense just for the camera to function 100%.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Eris - this was huge. Native Google Apps on a phone without the need to connect and link multiple services together in order to take your Google ecosystem on the go. The camera was subpar and the device was rather limited in many respects compared to the Motorola Droid that it launched with but it had the right form factor. Once the device was opened up and stable 2.2 AOSP roms were loaded onto it I did enjoy using it more. Eventually I went back to Palm and had a Pre for about 6 months before going back to HTC and Android.

Incredible - I was out of contract. I didn't have to do anything other than sit on my fat fanny and wait it out. The Pre I had eventually couldn't hold a charge while I was at a Blues hockey game and I had to give it up. Not using the phone and it heats up and dies. Not fun. Incredible had a great camera but was mucked up by Sense. I rooted the sucker and was running Cyanogenmod for a while but I gamed the system to get an Incredible 2.

Incredible 2 - the end of Verizon. Device would have been fine but I botched rooting it. I should have kept this and taken my replacement phone whenever that would have been. Instead I negotiated out of contract and switched to Sprint.

Nexus S 4G - Pure Android, crippled by the fact it wouldn't perform smoothly beyond Gingerbread. Bugless Beast 2.3.7 on this was incredible. Even Google Wallet worked after the updates to allow people to use any credit card, but sadly it was limited to the prepaid card that is no longer an option. The plastic feel to it was kind of a bummer though as the device felt cheap. The 5MP shooter was actually pretty decent.

Photon 4G - My wife had this and hated every second of every day with it. I thought it had to be her phone so to prove it I swapped out my phone for a Photon. It wasn't fun trying to root it and that was botched, so I managed to get a replacement device and used that for a while. The camera was lackluster. Battery life was OK and Gingerbread wasn't bad on this. The MotoBlur / NinjaBlur / so annoying I can't stand it Blur was a bummer. I had this for all of two months and switched back to the Nexus.

I had the Nexus S until I terminated my contract with Sprint for lack of coverage in my area due to their work on 4G LTE in our area. A tower was not fully operational so I was being given monthly credits until the situation was resolved. They let me get out of contract and go with another company provided I return the phone.

Lumia 900 - The camera was the only thing I didn't like about this phone. I still don't love it, but at the core of everything it performed better than the One X.

Nokia has demonstrated good support on the Lumia 900, so I'm not worried about topping off at 7.8 as far as software upgrades are concerned. Jellybean on the One X might be nice, as would root but the dedicated image sensor on the One X would have to play nice with a custom ROM. I'm not sure any do and I don't want to keep sense just for the camera to function 100%.

I love the HTC One X. I love the lumia as well. The One X for me performs better than my GS3 that I have now. The HTC One X just didn't have the battery life or the storage space needed. But it performs about as buttery as the Lumia or Titan II. Now I hear the One X+ is coming out...smh. But this is not about Android, it's about Window phones. The major OEMs on the platform really need to spread their top phones out onto the big carriers (yes, I mean you Nokia). I'm thinking they are depending on international sales to save them. which is cool, but why keep the good to just ATT customers stateside when ATT isn't the biggest player? I know Verizon was foolish to shun WP7/Nokia in the beginning, but now they are ready for the big leagues and Nokia should get as much play as possible.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

the Nokia firmware update that came with Tango resolved much of the camera issues. Low light shots are tolerable, although they will never be as good as BSI equipped cameras.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
the Nokia firmware update that came with Tango resolved much of the camera issues. Low light shots are tolerable, although they will never be as good as BSI equipped cameras.
Well I got the cyan Lumia yesterday. I loved the reaction of people in the store - you are trading that for that?

One sales rep was all hot and heavy on the One X. Out of respect for his sale, I tried to move the rep that was chatting with me in the middle of the store to the register but he didn't care. I said OK........then I went into how much I hated the phone. The lady then moved on to the Galaxy S III much to the dismay of the other rep that was more than likely working off an incentive to push the One X as much as possible.

On the way home from work I snapped some pictures and grumbled about the quality. Then I realized I still have the film on the bezel. I moved it down to uncover the lens and tried again. Much better. And yes, I cannot complain much about the camera as my outdoor pics were fine. I took an inside shot and while it was noisy it wasn't outrageous. I've had One X photos appear just as noisy and that is debately the better camera. But then I did my favorite test - I loaded a picture of my son playing flag football that was taken on a high end DSLR - very crisp. One X not so much and Galaxy S 3 a little muted. I forgot how much I loved this display.

The cyan is louder than I thought it was before. Then again, it will be a conversation piece.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs