Does the 8S provide full WP8 experience?

josepmanel1983

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I heard the guys from the wpcentral podcast say that some functions may not be available on this phone due to hardware limitations such as no front-facing camera, 512mb RAM or no NFC, kind of like the Lumia 610 is limited. Does anyone know anything about this? Also, I'm worried about the screen resolution, do you think there will be exclusive apps for higher res handsets?

Sent from my 7 Mozart using Board Express

Last edited:

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Also, I'm worried about the screen resolution, do you think there will be exclusive apps for higher res handsets?

That's a great question and I am wondering that myself. I would bet that that question will only be able to be answered in the future since we don't even have the SDK.

As for the other questions, FFC and NFC will only limit face chat and anything that needs NFC. If you don't have it then you obviously can't use it. Ram will be a limit for applications that require more, It follows along the same line as the resolution question.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I suspect it'll be like the low end Nokia WP7 devices. It'll give 90% of the experience, but you'll find some apps (like Skype of WP7) don't work, or are unbareably slow.

Still think its a very good phone, as it'll be stupidly cheap, and a great base for developers, who can pick up a really cheap phone, and write well optimised apps, that should run like rockets on the higher end phones.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much. I doubt that screen resolution will be an issue. The Lumia 820 is the same resolution, and that's supposed to be a midrange phone. I don't think they'd cripple the experience for anyone not using a high end phone. Obviously you won't be able to use apps that require a front camera or NFC.

The only thing that I could see possibly being an issue is the RAM. Current devices with 256 MB of RAM can't do fast app switching. There are some apps that also won't run on 256 MB, but I don't think there are many of those at all. That threshold might be raised for WP8, but that's just speculation. We won't know until MS pulls back the curtain on WP8.

josepmanel1983

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
So, would you recommend that I get the 8S over the 8X? I'm pretty worried about the RAM issue because I don't want my next phone to be limited beyond Skype (I've never used Skype on my current Mozart) but 200? are a lot of money so if I could save them and still get a decent WP8 experience...

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
So, would you recommend that I get the 8S over the 8X? I'm pretty worried about the RAM issue because I don't want my next phone to be limited beyond Skype (I've never used Skype on my current Mozart) but 200? are a lot of money so if I could save them and still get a decent WP8 experience...

I'd say you should probably wait a bit longer before you make your decision. Everything I said is just my own speculation. I'm sure that things will be more clear once the official announcements come.

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site

I'd look into & pick Lumia820 over 8s regarding specs (better processor, ram, front camera) if prices are comparable.

Between HTC & Nokia I rank phones in order: 920, 8x, 820, 8s. It sounds like 8x may be cheaper than the 920 which may put the 8x in my price range. If not I will either have to settle for 820 (which spec wise isn't really an upgrade over my Lumia 900) or wait for price drops.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs