Upgrade to Lumia 900?

Morty2264

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone!

I am a very happy and proud owner of a BlackBerry Bold 9780, but I am always fascinated by other platforms and am constantly playing around with phones in stores. My contract is nowhere near being over (I still have less than 2 years with Rogers until I can upgrade), but I am still considering my next device and perhaps upgrading in half that time - maybe a year or so. I've been considering a Samsung Galaxy S2, but the phone that I have researched and have tried out in stores the most has been the Nokia Lumia 900.

Since I know that many of the users who post here are Nokia Lumia 900 owners, I would like to know the benefits of using this phone. I've watched YouTube unboxing and reviews and even an in-depth review of the phone; and have tried it out myself in stores (but there's only so much you can do with a phone that's wired into the table or one that's turned off).

I understand that this is not a BlackBerry forum, but I'm a little worried that the Lumia might not match up with my experiences with BlackBerry. For instance, I love my LED light and how I can customize ringtones for certain contacts when they call or text me. Can the 900 perform these functions? I'm quite sure there is no LED light, but I could be wrong. I have a keyboard on my phone so transferring over to touchscreen might be hard, but I'm assuming that it would be just an adjustment process and not a huge concern. This phone does have landscape mode, correct? How customizeable are the phone's sound profiles? Could I make my own profiles (different sounds for calls, texts, and emails) as I can with my BlackBerry? I'm assuming I can still transfer my SIM card to the Lumia and have my contacts displayed and pictures; but I'm assuming my texts would be gone.

However, I love the "People" hub that the Lumia has, its sleek design, and the camera in my opinion is awesome. I like how I can sync my Hotmail account to it as I can with my BlackBerry, and I know I can get similar browsing experiences and can probably learn how the phone works if and when I do decide to get one. I suppose that I would just like some general comments about how the phone is for day-to-day use, and if anyone can answer those other questions, I would truly appreciate it! I really love my BlackBerry, so if I were to choose an upgrade that wasn't a BlackBerry, I'd prefer to know as much about it as possible. :) Thank you so much for taking the time to read this topic!

DeWize1

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
First off, if your on Roger's, wait for the Lumia 920, that's the phone to get.

Now onto features and answering your questions.

Sound profiles are indeed customisable, to a degree. You can change the text and email tones, but only between the preset tones avaliable. The ringtones are however fully customisable, (if you figure out how to get them on your phone, there is a tutorial on WPCentral). These cannot be set per person though, these are merely general tones for everyone (as of WP 7.5, we don't know for sure yet for WP8)

Your contacts wil be transferred, but you will lose all your texts.

any other questions feel free to ask.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia 900 cannot do all those things, but maybe the 920 will. Either way, wait for the 920. Do NOT buy the 900 right now. The 920 is so much better and will be out next month. The hardware difference is a 2-3 year jump, and maybe some of the features you want will be in Windows Phone 8 which the 920, and not the 900, will have.

Morty2264

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I can't believe all the responses to this thread! Thank you so much!
That's great that you can at least set different tones for each notification, but I'm assuming I can't change the text tones per contact?

I've actually haven't heard much about the 920. I'm not really into the newest phones out there, but it seems like I should still do some research on this newer phone to see what is has in store. Wow, a 2-3 year jump in hardware? That kind of freaks me out, lol. I will be sure to not buy anything until I know more about the 920. Is battery life generally okay for the 900? I usually have to charge my BlackBerry every day, but I really don't mind; as long as the phone doesn't die in 6 hours.

I really love the LED light that my BlackBerry has, but my Nokia C3 didn't have one and I'd just press a button to see if I had any messages, and I really liked that phone. Either way, I won't be upgrading for a while, so I will wait and see what happens. And by the way, I'm a girl lol. :)

What is everyone's experience with the "People" feature? It seems very interesting, and I tried it today with the phone in the store and it looked pretty good. Thank you again for your help with my questions! :)

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
The People hub is much better than facebook or twitter individually because you can post to facebook and twitter and even windows(Live) in one response.

nzrocketman

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Still if you don't want to get the L920. I would still wait til its release as the L900 would most probably drop in price after the Lumia 920 is on sale

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
If you could manage to get the Lumia 900 for a reasonable price used and off contract it isn't a bad phone. As others have said, the 920 is coming soon. You might be happier with it.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
The people hub is an excellent feature, I love it! I can visualize and interact with multiple social networks in one place with never opening one of those apps.

Important things to note about the 920 is the camera using pureview technology and pure motion HD screen with Gorilla glass 2 <-- certainly look into these features. There is tons and tons of comparisons still photos and videos out there that show you how superior the 920 camera is and why. (the photos auto upload to skydrive to! that are available near instantly on any internet connected device that can utilize a web browser.. I could go on and on about just the camera and the companion apps alone or the built in GPS voice guided app from nokia(best in the biz)...GL with your phone adventure, just dont let it lead you to a 900 - and dont forget to look at the other HTC wp8 phones or the samsung ativ as they to bring some street cred to the game as well, im just a biased nokia 920 guy because of the build quality, exclusive apps, and oem support past and present.

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
If you manage to get a Lumia 900 off-contract and pay between $100 / $150 for it then it isn't a bad deal.

If someone is outright selling their Lumia for more than this it is likely they know the 920 is coming around the corner and they are either paying their term fee or putting together the funds to purchase it off contract themselves. After the Lumia 920 is out for several months I will see if it is worth me finding it somewhere locally or online off-contract since I'm lockd in a two-year agreement with AT&T and I have no intention [yet] of adding a line to my account for this purpose.

The thing that I have come to appreciate with Windows Phone is that things just work. Sure you can't really tweak things to the extent you can with Android devices but that isn't the point - you shouldn't have to. Why do you need to install 10-12 different apps to augment/enhance what should be basic features? No smartphone is immune to this, unfortunately, as the race to distinguish oneself in the marketplace is more important than keeping things user-friendly. Carriers also like to remove capabilities that limit their ways to monetize the use of data-munching devices like the Lumia.

If you got a Lumia 900 cheap, its a great phone to own. I have issues with the Windows Phone OS (I can't make Nokia Drive and Maps default applications? Really?) and a few with the Lumia hardware but overall its nothing compared to what I dealt with on other devices and operating systems.

Morty2264

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate all of the advice surrounding waiting for the 920 to come out; since then the 900 might drop in price and I could see what the 920 has to offer. I'm not too into the very best models out there (which is why I'm looking primarily at S2's instead of S3's); not just because they would cost me less but also because I don't need the most up-to-date features. Still, is the hardware jump from the 900 to the 920 really that big? That is one thing that is making me nervous about jumping ship; especially since Rogers only does so much if your hardware malfunctions.

I'm sure this is probably too much to ask, but has anyone here moved from a BlackBerry device to this phone? I'd be interested in hearing how the adjustment period went. I think I just might have to try it out thoroughly in the store and just ask a whole bunch of questions (not that you all haven't been extremely helpful - it's just so that I can figure out what my carrier will do for me and what it has to offer in terms of pricing). I don't think there is an LED feature on this phone, correct? I really don't need a lot of apps, so I'm sure their app store will be perfectly fine. I love the OS as far as I can see with regards to how the menu is laid out and how easy it is to jump from one thing to the next. It looks like a great phone! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster