WP8 RAM Limitations

josepmanel1983

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Hey there, I was kind of pissed when I saw the following on the Windows Phone 8 official page: "Some apps and features won't work on phones with less than 1 GB of RAM". Does anyone know what this will imply for our future 8Ss? I might even consider not getting this phone if it's too limited because of its 512 Mb of RAM, despite its ridiculously low price... What do you guys reckon?

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
That's very sad the 8s is as watered down as it is. MS should really have let bottom be 1gb ram. Im still floored by the 4gb capacity, this isn't 2007.

I know you can use a micro sd card, but the average user isnt always savvy enough to figure out how to store files where, and go out and get one.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I was considering this as my backup phone, behind the white 920 I've been scrambling to acquire. The styling is just TOO good to ignore... If I had to venture a guess, I would say the multitasking increase to 8 apps would be first on the chopping block, along with some other, more resource-intensive background processes, like perhaps background GPS navigation... I don't know...

The Last Byte

May 19, 2012
Visit site
If a normal silverlight app needs more than 512MB of RAM...you shouldn't be making apps.
That's how much RAM is in a Xbox 360.

The only thing I realistically see limited is those Big 3D DirectX games that are supposed to be coming out.

Nothing more.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
If a normal silverlight app needs more than 512MB of RAM...you shouldn't be making apps.
That's how much RAM is in a Xbox 360.

The only thing I realistically see limited is those Big 3D DirectX games that are supposed to be coming out.

Nothing more.

An Xbox 360 doesn't have to simultaneously run resource-hogging phone functions & runs a lean dedicated OS. Either way I hope you're right... :)

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
This may be a shot in the dark but I cant imagine there would be any limitations. Ive got an iPhone 4 that I want to get shot of for an 8S and both have 512MB memory and all the time I've had the iPhone over 2 year its run every app I've downloaded. I know iOS and WP8 are totally different OS's but I cant imagine there would be apps that couldn't be run on 512MB of memory

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo