T-Mobile: Lumia 810 vs HTC 8X vs Lumia 920 (Unlocked)

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I decided to throw together an image comparing features between all the WP8 devices on T-Mobile. I just listed out some of the main/differentiating features that might help someone with matching the right WP8 for them.

rc60rq.jpg

Last edited:

Guakala

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the comparison image. I'm really leaning towards the 810 on this one, just because of SD support and Nokia's apps. I wish it had a higher resolution screen but oh well...

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the comparison image. I'm really leaning towards the 810 on this one, just because of SD support and Nokia's apps. I wish it had a higher resolution screen but oh well...

Completely agree. would also be nice if the built in were more that 8GB.

Guakala

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Here's something to think about, Nokia says that the "Maximum memory card size" supported is 64Gb and then lists the "Card type" as MicroSD. To my knowledge the only cards that have a 64Gb capacity are the MicroSDXC. Will the 810 support the SDXC?

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Here's something to think about, Nokia says that the "Maximum memory card size" supported is 64Gb and then lists the "Card type" as MicroSD. To my knowledge the only cards that have a 64Gb capacity are the MicroSDXC. Will the 810 support the SDXC?
Yep. The 32 GB cards are technically "SDHC" yet you're not seeing SDHC anywhere, either.

64 GB is also listed on the Lumia 810 spec page at Nokia.com, as well as on their Conversations blog, so you're good :)

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Nice graphic! Definitely breaks down the individual specs of each phone more easily for us. ;) I've also been thinking it's too bad the 810 doesn't have a better screen since I'm coming from the iPhone 4's Retina display. 16GB of internal storage would be nice as well, and I realize that the 822 has it. Then again, I don't expect to download a ton of apps. I have a lot of games for my iPhone, most of which aren't available for WP yet, so I'll probably go a bit lighter with the games on the 810 when I get it.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a lot of games for my iPhone, most of which aren't available for WP yet, so I'll probably go a bit lighter with the games on the 810 when I get it.
And then maybe by the time you get your 920, more developers will have jumped on the Windows Phone native code bandwagon and ported all their games over :p

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Odd that in the Developer site Nokia lists the limit as 32Gb :(

Device Details -- Nokia Lumia 810
Well, the main (non-developer) specs page used to also show 32 GB, but it got updated way more recently than the developer specs page. I'm also going to have to trust the Nokia Conversations blog with the 64 GB which was posted just a few days ago.

Just a few more days to wait though and someone out there will use a 64 GB card in theirs. I should be picking up the phone this coming Wednesday, and I'll take a picture of the manual if it's stated in there :D

Guakala

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
Well, the main (non-developer) specs page used to also show 32 GB, but it got updated way more recently than the developer specs page. I'm also going to have to trust the Nokia Conversations blog with the 64 GB which was posted just a few days ago.

Just a few more days to wait though and someone out there will use a 64 GB card in theirs. I should be picking up the phone this coming Wednesday, and I'll take a picture of the manual if it's stated in there :D

Awesome!

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site

Guys don't be disappointed by the screen it is beautiful. I wrote this earlier in the general discussion forum and I will copy it here:

"I was at an AT&T store this morning comparing the 820 and the 920 and although the 920 did have higher resolution you really have to stare at it to notice the improvement. I was totally unimpressed with the screen on the 920. It did not look as impressive as the HTC One X. Side by side I found the 820 display more pleasing to look at overall. It had vibrant punchy colors and it is way brighter than the 920 at the same brightness. The 920 looked very dark even at the highest setting but don't take my word for it. Go to your local AT&T store and see for yourself. I want to remind you that I am a current AT&T customer, I am eligible for upgrade, and I can afford anything I want and I will not be getting the 920. I will be switching to T-Mobile to get the 810 and today's display comparison made my mind up for me. The display on the 820 was beautiful, vibrant, punchy, and bright with no noticable pixellation. I think it's my preference for AMOLED screens over LCD that made me enjoy the overall experience. Remember the 810/820 have RGB Stripe screens not PenTile so that is why I couldn't notice any pixellation. This morning the 820 looked almost HD to me. Go to AT&T and see for yourself. Don't purchase on specs purchase on experience."

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
TJWINS, I read elsewhere in this forum that the resolution and display is VERY noticeable with text in a browser, just not on the tiles and settings menus. Did you happen to check the browser?

That being said, I'm very surprised with your experience in brightness - the 920 is supposed to be the brightest. I was going to wait until Wednesday to visually compare the 920 and 810, but I think I'll head over to the Microsoft Store right now and compare the 820 and 920 like you did. The techie in me needs to see it in person!

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
TJWINS, I read elsewhere in this forum that the resolution and display is VERY noticeable with text in a browser, just not on the tiles and settings menus. Did you happen to check the browser?

That being said, I'm very surprised with your experience in brightness - the 920 is supposed to be the brightest. I was going to wait until Wednesday to visually compare the 920 and 810, but I think I'll head over to the Microsoft Store right now and compare the 820 and 920 like you did. The techie in me needs to see it in person!

I did not compare text in a browser so I can't comment there. I will check next time I go but you have to remember the 920 is a better than HD resolution so it should be sharper. My main point is that the 820 does not disappoint. Regarding brightness the 820 blew the 920 away. Not even close.

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
By contrast I felt the difference between the Focus 2 (800x480 pentile) and the 820 (800x480 RGB Stripe) was 10 times greater than the difference between the 920 and the 820. It goes to show you that specs are just numbers sometimes. The technology is more important than the numbers.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
OMFG I want a Lumia 920!! My fault for checking it out today.

I always do my tech demos by playing dumb - I usually end up finding out awesome new things I didn't know about that way (same thing happened with the Surface), and I wasn't disappointed with the 920 demonstration I got at the Microsoft Store. The weight was VERY noticeable when compared against one of the employee's personal Lumia 900's. Not as noticeable by itself, but on my belt clip I don't know how it would feel. My belt clip is FAR too small to fit this massive phone so no way to test :p

I was too excited to go web browsing and compare the resolution to that of the 900 (there was no 820) - I just plain forgot :( . The image stabilization is absolutely KILLER and the phone looks amazing (I saw both a white and a cyan. Any other colors were all boxed up) - the screen felt great against my fingers (unlike my current Android, which REQUIRES a screen protector for smooth browsing)

Either way, on T-Mobile with a killer grandfathered plan, I'm not leaving. My only option is to have my aunt buy me a Rogers Lumia 920 from Canada and ship it to me (and lose the option to wifi tether, which is important), or pay $750+ for a dev unlocked model on ebay that probably won't be "new, unopened in box". Ugh. Hopefully when I play with the 810 next Wednesday I will have the exact same reaction and will be just fine with the camera :) I know I'll be fine with the weight.

OH! I compared GPS with both 920 and 900... the 920 got a super quick indoor lock on location and easily showed me all nearby "chinese food" locations :p The 900 failed to get a GPS lock indoors (and I couldn't test it outdoors). So, my next question: Was that due to the assistance of GLONASS as well, or did Nokia/Microsoft improve GPS for WP8 devices? HMMM. Next test: 810.

EDIT: Nokia City Lens is kickass!

Last edited:

TJWINS

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I was a hurricane Sandy victim and without power for days the mobile hotspot feature was a Godsend. I charged my phone in my car and had a power inverter to charge my laptop but never missed a beat getting stuff done because I always had internet. Can't live without mobile hotspot. I am also a presenter and use hotspot during my presentations to get online. That being said I think your reaction to the 810 will be the same as your reaction to the 920.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I was a hurricane Sandy victim and without power for days the mobile hotspot feature was a Godsend. I charged my phone in my car and had a power inverter to charge my laptop but never missed a beat getting stuff done because I always had internet. Can't live without mobile hotspot. I am also a presenter and use hotspot during my presentations to get online. That being said I think your reaction to the 810 will be the same as your reaction to the 920.
Tethering on Rogers phones might work after all! Stumbled upon this from a link a WPCentral member posted, and here's what I found:

"For anyone wondering, my dad figured out the tethering. Oddly enough, he installed the Spanish keyboard and Internet sharing turned on. Weirdest thing ever but he claims it worked. You can change it back to English after"

Apparently, it worked for someone else who read that as well. The people this works for had the dev phone version, which I guess is also having this issue, and they are speculating is the exact same version as the Rogers one... except I doubt it has the Rogers logo upon boot :p.

Last edited:

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I am so torn between these three phones at the moment. The 920 is my initial choice, but there is no concrete evidence that it would be compatible with AWS networks yet.

The 8X is a good compromise to the 920 and we know it will be compatible with T-Mo. I am just worried about the lack of Nokia apps and future updates as HTC tends to be lazy in that department.

The 810 is a nice looking phone. I like the slab design, and aside from the screen res the specs are fine for me. I am really tempted to buy one but I know in a few months i will wish I got a 920 instead.

jabz9

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
How can you concur that the Lumia 810 has a better battery life

Im not sure what to lean onto more so i was wondering but if the lumia 810 has a better better life i may go with it on it.

but it hasn't been release yet so how do you know the battery life would be the best??

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Im not sure what to lean onto more so i was wondering but if the lumia 810 has a better better life i may go with it on it.

but it hasn't been release yet so how do you know the battery life would be the best??
Because the stated battery life at nokia.com and T-Mobile.com (Talk time on 3G)is 10.2 and 10.6 hours respectively, which is higher than the stated battery life of any other Windows Phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo