Didn't get my 810; FURIOUS w/T-Mobile!

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
So, I went to a T-Mobile near me nearly two hours ago, expecting to walk out with my new Lumia 810. Didn't happen... The customer service rep told me that I had to upgrade my data plan because I have a grandfathered plan that no longer exists. Had she told me I could get the 2GB plan, I would have been perfectly fine with it as that would have only been $5 more per month than what I'm already paying. But no! She said because my plan is "old," I have to get the 5GB plan, which is $35. This would have meant I would have been paying $80 per month instead of the $54 I've been paying for the last two years. I tried to compromise, but no dice. I walked out of there utterly furious. I've been with T-Mobile since January 28, 2002 and that's how they're going to treat me?! :mad:

All that being said, I'm NOT getting an 810 after all. I walked over to the same AT&T I visited on Monday at the mall. Asked a rep about their cheapest plan and their prepaid plan as well. They both sound decent, but I didn't like that the 5000 minutes you get after 9pm and on weekends are only to other AT&T customers. That does nothing for me because most of the people I talk with regularly are on T-Mobile. :(

In any case, I'm going to get that yellow Lumia 920 I've been wanting lately. I'll probably finish out the rest of my actual T-Mobile contract (expires officially on January 17th) and look into going with Straight Talk. I've had a good run with T-Mo, but this is ridiculous and the last straw. :mad:

Last edited:

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I heard the same thing from an in-store rep. Didn't make sense, so I called customer service. To make a long story short, they offered me the 810 upgrade without having to change my plan. If you really want to stay with TMo, I'd suggest you call customer service. On the other hand, if you've been thinking about a yellow 920 .....

falsehopess

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
wow sorry to hear that I have a 2gb unlimited plan on their value plan and they didnt even bat an eye they gave me my phone and i was out the door in less than 5 mintues

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm really sorry to hear about that :(

Here's a tip though: Call retentions. Dial 611, say "Cancel service" and the tell the next rep you speak to that you want to upgrade your phone but stay on your same plan and not change a thing. They can do it for you.

The very last time I made some account changes and lowered some prices a bit, I was told by the retentions/cancellation rep at the time (I know who to talk to when I need my grandfathered plan serviced) that I will have problems in the store and that I will probably need to call "someone like him" (a.k.a. save loyalty/retentions).

So, three options (if you even care anymore): Go to another store (not the same one, preferably) and tell them your situation, tell them you will need to get a loyalty rep on the phone so they can properly put the upgrade in the system - make sure they let you talk to the loyalty/retentions rep so you can ensure nothing on your account gets changed.

OR you can call retentions/loyalty from home and let them ship you the upgrade, they won't change the account.

Finally, if you go to my.t-mobile.com and upgrade you should be able to get the phone without changing anything on your plan - I have read of lots of people having success with that. LOTS of us grandfathered people still exist and order through loyalty or online without any problems.

T-Mobile higher ups should have given the stores the power to deal with older plans, but the fact is - they didn't. The people in store actually have no power on their systems to be able to work with your plan. The most they can do in store is do what they just did with me - transfer service from sim to microsim without touching the plan.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I heard the same thing from an in-store rep. Didn't make sense, so I called customer service. To make a long story short, they offered me the 810 upgrade without having to change my plan. If you really want to stay with TMo, I'd suggest you call customer service. On the other hand, if you've been thinking about a yellow 920 .....

Did you tell the customer service rep you spoke with on the phone that in the store, they tried to make you change your plan? I want to take your advice and call, but I don't want to end up hearing the same nonsense about my data that I was handed in the store.

KLinCHI

May 10, 2012
Visit site
Did you tell the customer service rep you spoke with on the phone that in the store, they tried to make you change your plan? I want to take your advice and call, but I don't want to end up hearing the same nonsense about my data that I was handed in the store.
Actually, like Mystictrust posted, if you call, say "cancel service" and talk to someone in retention, not a regular customer service person. The reps in retention are typically better at being able to help people with grandfathered plans. Heck, I got my $10 data plan from them a year after T-Mobile "officially" stopped offering it.

And no, don't bother mentioning your store experience, since it won't help. But your mileage may vary from rep to rep.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm really sorry to hear about that :(

Here's a tip though: Call retentions. Dial 611, say "Cancel service" and the tell the next rep you speak to that you want to upgrade your phone but stay on your same plan and not change a thing. They can do it for you.

The very last time I made some account changes and lowered some prices a bit, I was told by the retentions/cancellation rep at the time (I know who to talk to when I need my grandfathered plan serviced) that I will have problems in the store and that I will probably need to call "someone like him" (a.k.a. save loyalty/retentions).

So, three options (if you even care anymore): Go to another store (not the same one, preferably) and tell them your situation, tell them you will need to get a loyalty rep on the phone so they can properly put the upgrade in the system - make sure they let you talk to the loyalty/retentions rep so you can ensure nothing on your account gets changed.

OR you can call retentions/loyalty from home and let them ship you the upgrade, they won't change the account.

Finally, if you go to my.t-mobile.com and upgrade you should be able to get the phone without changing anything on your plan - I have read of lots of people having success with that. LOTS of us grandfathered people still exist and order through loyalty or online without any problems.

T-Mobile higher ups should have given the stores the power to deal with older plans, but the fact is - they didn't. The people in store actually have no power on their systems to be able to work with your plan. The most they can do in store is do what they just did with me - transfer service from sim to microsim without touching the plan.

Thanks so much for all the advice. I have only ever once ordered a phone not at a store while with T-Mobile - I ordered one over the phone in 2003, but the shipment got lost. :confused: I'm attempting to order the 810 online as we speak. Looks like the website isn't making me change anything on my plan, thank goodness.

But I can't believe the B.S. I had to deal with at the store. Unbelievable! :mad:

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I did. Told my whole story. The CS rep quickly responded "you won't need to change your plan."

In full disclosure, I didn't actually go through with the purchase. Am still debating between the 810 and 8x, but plan to make the purchase soon. I just wanted to confirm whether I would have to change plans to upgrade. Rep on phone reviewed everything and was prepared to upgrade me to a 810 immediately.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I just got off the phone with T-Mo...been having issues with my HD7. The rep tried telling me the L810 and L920 were the same minues the .02" screen (we all know they are night and day). Long story short, I really don't like AT&T or thier plans, but after really thinking about it, why should I pay T-Mo $150 for the mid range phone when I can get the high end model $50 cheaper and a free charging plate? I'm waiting on CS to see what they'll do to keep me, but I'm thinking of jumping ship...(they offered to replace my HD7 with a Galaxy Blaze lmfao)...

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh well... I already ordered it directly from T-Mobile's website earlier. I definitely would have ordered it from Target via the link you left had I been a bit more patient. Again, oh well. But thanks anyway! :)

You are better off with what you ordered instead of may be going thru the same with Target. ..

Anyway i was very interested in your review of 810... so i need to wait for 2 more days:)

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh well... I already ordered it directly from T-Mobile's website earlier. I definitely would have ordered it from Target via the link you left had I been a bit more patient. Again, oh well. But thanks anyway! :)

I ordered mine this morning at tmobile.com too :) I'm crossing my finger that they don't change my data plan since i have the 24.99 android plus 400 text grandfathered plan. So far the status is "SHIPPED" :-D

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I just got off the phone with T-Mo...been having issues with my HD7. The rep tried telling me the L810 and L920 were the same minues the .02" screen (we all know they are night and day). Long story short, I really don't like AT&T or thier plans, but after really thinking about it, why should I pay T-Mo $150 for the mid range phone when I can get the high end model $50 cheaper and a free charging plate? I'm waiting on CS to see what they'll do to keep me, but I'm thinking of jumping ship...(they offered to replace my HD7 with a Galaxy Blaze lmfao)...

I know that the price of L920 and the free wireless charger sounds tempting, but you should hold back and think which carrier will save you more money in the long run. At&t plan is just high compare to T-mobile.

falsehopess

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Glad to hear you got your phone ordered. You will be happy when you get it. Still going through some software pains trying to get my music loaded with album art lets hope this second sync works out better. Otherwise the phone is fantastic. The cinemagraph is hilarious I can see all kinds of funny things to do with that. The screen really is nice and the phone feels nice and zippy. Been messing with it all day. Dont know if I will do a full on review but I have enjoyed it so far.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I noticed last night when I signed back into T-Mobile's website that it said my phone has shipped. Got a text message saying the same this morning. So, I'm hoping the phone gets to me by tomorrow or Saturday instead of Monday, which is the date showing up for estimated delivery on the UPS' website. :p

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I noticed last night when I signed back into T-Mobile's website that it said my phone has shipped. Got a text message saying the same this morning. So, I'm hoping the phone gets to me by tomorrow or Saturday instead of Monday, which is the date showing up for estimated delivery on the UPS' website. :p

I ordered yesterday and got the tracking number last night. UPS estimated time of delivery is 11/19 eventhough it still shows 11/22 on tmobile site. :)

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I just ordered one through retentions, let's hope everything goes smoothly....goodbye HD7...I will miss all 32GB of you, but you'll still be my Garmin :).

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Believe it or not, I still don't have my 810, even though the UPS tracking page claims I should be getting it today by "end of day." Really quite annoying how getting this phone is like pulling teeth for me. :mad:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb