May just stick with my "S" a little longer...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Now, let's be clear here: I want a WP8. I think the upgrades in performance and the growth potential are so large, there has to be a point we all move on.

But I have two choices: Pay out of pocket or stick with my "S" until November 2013. Now do I think I will make it to late 2013? Nah, no chance. I am a mobile nut, and these are my toys. But, I may wait a while yet because:

1) The 7.8 update will be a nice refresh which will add some flair. It will be fun to play around with a new couple of features for a little while.
2) The advantages of WP8 such as NFC, new apps, cross platform tools and some of the rumored future updates are months away from being truly developed.
3) The prices on this wave of WP8's may drop when the next wave of devices hit.
4) The next wave of devices may have the perfect one for me.
5) Dang it, my "S" is still a really, really good phone. Not sure I can dump it. Yes, the resale value will only drop, but I like my toy.

What do you all think? I asked this a few months ago, but now we know more. Am I alone?

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Now, let's be clear here: I want a WP8. I think the upgrades in performance and the growth potential are so large, there has to be a point we all move on.

But I have two choices: Pay out of pocket or stick with my "S" until November 2013. Now do I think I will make it to late 2013? Nah, no chance. I am a mobile nut, and these are my toys. But, I may wait a while yet because:

1) The 7.8 update will be a nice refresh which will add some flair. It will be fun to play around with a new couple of features for a little while.
2) The advantages of WP8 such as NFC, new apps, cross platform tools and some of the rumored future updates are months away from being truly developed.
3) The prices on this wave of WP8's may drop when the next wave of devices hit.
4) The next wave of devices may have the perfect one for me.
5) Dang it, my "S" is still a really, really good phone. Not sure I can dump it. Yes, the resale value will only drop, but I like my toy.

What do you all think? I asked this a few months ago, but now we know more. Am I alone?

Judging by the sheer number of issues that are being reported in the forums with WP8 and the new handsets my advice would be most DEFINITELY to wait until the second round of handsets. By then they should have ironed out the kinks and the ecosystem should be looking better.

I was all set to drop money on a 920 but after reading through all the issues I'm glad I didn't. I'll be sticking with my 4S a while longer as it really is an excellent phone.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Judging by the sheer number of issues that are being reported in the forums with WP8 and the new handsets my advice would be most DEFINITELY to wait until the second round of handsets. By then they should have ironed out the kinks and the ecosystem should be looking better.

Depends how you look at it. Nobody ever comes on the internet to talk about every works, so its very easy to think the world is about to end, when you only hear the minority of moaners, rather than the people who are happy. Look at Apple or Android forums, and its exactly the same, it always looks like the world is going to end.

Lets also not forget, a good percentage of the people moaning, are people coming from Android/iOS, who expect WP8 to act exactly the same way as the OS they've come from.

I was a pretty happy WP7 owner, but my HD7 was 2 years old, dodgy USB socket, dodgy power button, knackered battery so i needed an upgrade. WP8 & the 920 are just fabulous, the battery last forever, everything is sooooo quick, and theres a ton of new stuff i absolutely adore, especially kids corner. I'm now happy leaving my 2 year old with my phone, that is huge.

My only major frustration was the Windows Sync tool, and with a little trial and error, i've found a way round all my problems, i'm happy, and know things can only get better.

jbyron

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm with OP. I broke my iphone 3GS back in Feb of 2011, decided I had had it with Apple, and used (3, I kept breaking them out of frustration) 9.99 samsung flip phones from bestbuy all the way until the November release of the Focus S. It's been a year and my phone has been issue free and speedy as the day I bought it.

Nothing I have ever used works as well in real life as in the commercials, but Jesus, my WP has. I'm walking, tagging songs and dl-ing, bluetooth syncing in my car without taking my phone out of my pocket, local scouting while on the phone, and taking pictures in the blink of an eye. Everyone says I'm like a walking advertisement for the phone.

This is the longest I have ever, EVER gone with a phone without breaking it out of frustration. The phone has been so impressive thus far that even my long time Iphone using mother AND girlfriend both switched (mom is on a WP7.5 Titan, had it since 2011, gf is now on WP8 with a Lumia 920).

I just can't find any reason to upgrade, and 7.8 is just the icing on the cake

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Hope MS is sending you a small commission check!!

My Focus S is every bit the same performer. The downside is our forums have always been a tad more quiet.

Noticed you just joined WP Central, by the way. Glad you are with us.

sarlo100

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I've been eligible for an upgrade for the past few months. Had an old Galaxy S, but went to one of the "Smoked" challenges and wound up with an S. Traded an ancient iphone 2G for it. Their plan worked well, I quickly converted to WP. Was going to get a 920 on opening day, but AT&Terrible screwed the ordering up. Now, with what I'm reading, I'm sticking with the S for a while.

Primary reason? It works...flawlessly. I know exactly what I'm going to get, moment to moment. I have every app I need, and some I don't. They all work. The OS works. I never get angry at it. Believe me, that's a first.

Only thing is, I wish Samsung supported it a little better. Nokia and even HTC have much better apps supporting their phones. And I think I'm getting a Mugen battery for it, because my battery isn't cutting it. Otherwise, with all the potential issues with these little beasties - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
The longer I go posting around here, the more comfortable I am holding onto my "S". I am looking excitedly to the ATIV S launch, as well as seeing what Sammy and Verizon have cooked up with the ATIV Odyssey. Like how they have waited- it may be the smoothest running of the WP 8 devices as they have had some time to work out kinks.

Still fairly sure I will own a Nokia next, but I will give Sammy the chance to keep me. While it is tough to think that anything will top what Nokia offers as far as tools and support, I would love for Samsung to prove me wrong.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Nothing wrong with the Focus S. It would not have bothered me had I waited a while longer to upgrade.. I had a Focus v1.3 with the 7.8 ROM on it. I was very happy with that device. But with the early upgrade, the price being extremely low, and the extras the L920 was too good to pass up.

spd_rcr

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Well I wouldn't jump to WP8 just yet, my wife traded her Focus 1.3 for a Nokia 920 and it's had nothing but problems so far.

re. 1) I'm in the same boat itching to upgrade my Focus S, but I'm not too keen on paying full-retail for a new phone. The 7.8 upgrade could be nice if/when it ever comes to the Focus S. I've got the original Focus on my desk and it still hasn't been gifted with the Tango update. The 7.8 update won't make our current phones compatible with updated WP8 apps either so we can all suck it as our selection of apps decreases (already happening).

Just curious about point 5), what resale value are you talking about ? who's willing to pay for a used Windows Phone ? I'd seriously like to know.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, you might have seen me bashing small errors I see. But honestly, having used Lumia 800 and Titan, I know how refreshing 920 is. No, 7.8 won't do it for Sammy or HTC owners. Nokia looks promising with so many add ons in the update. What the update won't do is, give you the core and all the expansions it brings. The apps are switching rather quickly for WP8 now. Things will be ironed out as we go. An update (Portico) hitting our devices before end of 2012, fixes all or most bugs even the minority moans about in less than 2 months of handset launches. That is impressive knowing at least 4 handsets are out with WP8!

That said, WP8 is a huge improvement over WP7.x whereas Droid owners or iOS owners who jumped the ship will keep finding things that are different to what they have been used to. No one likes change.

jbyron

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow. Hope MS is sending you a small commission check!!

My Focus S is every bit the same performer. The downside is our forums have always been a tad more quiet.

Noticed you just joined WP Central, by the way. Glad you are with us.

haha no commission check. Have some bad news and some good news. I took my phone to Mexico in March on a trip and it got soaked. It seemed ok, but some water did get into the battery compartment. It worked fine until the next day, then it went into an infinite reboot cycle. I could occasionally get it to work for about 10 min until it would start again. I was heartbroken, but I had a backup Titan to use which I did for a while. I honestly could not get used to the Titan. It's button layout was different (top power instead of side), and it hung and lagged in random areas where the Focus S never did. Nobody could understand what I was saying with the phone (terrible voice quality). Also, if you brought up the Bing search, if music was playing it would switch to a weird low quality AM type sound (even with music files on the phone).

I didn't give up though, a few months later I found a broken screen-but functional Focus S on Ebay for $25 shipped. I swapped over the motherboard to my old chassis and it's been working flawlessly for the last couple months at 7.8. It was like slipping into an old pair of pajamas I freaking. love. this. phone.

PS I just preordered the yellow 1020 for my mom as a gift (she has a Titan at 7.8 right now). I'm due for an upgrade also, but #1 the 1020 after taxes and upgrade fees was $395 (!!) and I'm so happy with my Focus S that I will just wait until either it dies or the next gen comes out in November. I have never been so happy with a phone for so long

For the TLDR crowd:
1. Focus S died due to water damage
2. Replaced motherboard from cracked screen ebay find for $25
3. Phone working great at 7.8 and super happy once more
4. Love WPC check the site everyday

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
That is great!!

I do not know if you saw, but I posted I destroyed my beloved Focus S with a drop at work. One of , oh, about 100,000 over the life of my "S". It finally gave in, even with a case on it. I am now using a Titan 2 which I like, but do not enjoy even remotly as much. LOVE you saved your "S". I have been kicking around finding a used one to grab and get back to my most enjoyed device ever.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb