Battery life= amazing

madisonjar

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else seeing this? I unplugged at 3:45 pm and you know I played with the phone a lot in between 4 and 10, my kids played games, I kept checking score of the nfl game...also I have 3 email accounts syncing (2 at every half an hour, one at as they arrive). I am in a LTE area, I did plug it in for 10 minutes and thats it as I took it out to the couch to watch espn and mess around on the phone and fell asleep out in the living room not the bedroom where the charger is...this morning I was expecting around 50% or less....nope 70% that changed to 69% as I looked at it, that to me is INCREDIBLE...yes I was on wifi from 6:00 pm on, but still to me this phone has sick battery life!

speedfreak228

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Do y'all have a lot of live tiles? I don't have many and my battery isn't very good. Any way to see how much I have been using my phone? I would get 5-6 hours usage on my iPhone 5.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
My battery struggle but when I put on battery saver much much better.

Remember to close your apps by spamming the back button until it stays on the home screen. It's a crappy way to manage apps but meh. Background apps do not get suspended in WP8 so they will drain the battery. Battery saver essentially does the same thing though.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I have pretty much been allowing any location and crap from any apps I install just to get a feel for everything... I'm guessing my battery is gonna get hammered but I expect it the first week or so until I can figure out what is what.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Gave it a full charge when I first got it yesterday. Took it off the charger at about 1pm. It's now 4pm (the next day) and it has 52% left!!! Ive downloaded about 4 apps off of charger, done some web browsing, texted a whole bunch, checked out maps... etc.

VERY impressed with the battery life.

However I do leave location off, don't use wifi that much, no bluetooth, don't send annoymous data to Microsoft, turned off ALL background tasks... Pretty much anything that eats battery when I am not actually on the phone is off.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Remember to close your apps by spamming the back button until it stays on the home screen. It's a crappy way to manage apps but meh. Background apps do not get suspended in WP8 so they will drain the battery. Battery saver essentially does the same thing though.

This is NOT correct. Windows Phone DOES suspend apps. If an app is not in the foreground, it is not doing any processing. Background tasks are a separate process than suspended apps. Battery saver will disable the background tasks, though, but don't confuse background tasks with suspended tasks.

Suspended tasks are those which you see when you tap/hold the back button.

Background tasks, or Periodic tasks, which would be a better way to describe them, are run on a periodic basis in the background. The time between the periods that they run varies, but is based on when the phone is going to be turning the radio on due to tasks that the OS will be doing for its own purposes, because the act of powering up the radio is quite power-intensive, and Microsoft does this to conserve as much battery as possible.

Developers cannot predict with precision greater than a half an hour, and some recommend not planning for their tasks to run more frequently than every hour, and in fact you can't plan on it running at all, because as you can see from the threads, users can disable them completely, so you have to write the app so that it works without the background task at all - the background task in that case would be an enhancement.

This being said, this is how it works in Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango). I have not had time to dig into the Windows Phone 8 SDK, so I can't really say much about it, other than to say that I've heard word that developers can have a bit more control over when their background tasks run. I'm only using background tasks in one of my apps, and all I'm doing with it is checking to see if it is a new day, and if so, updating the live tile. The app I'm doing that in is a Weight Watchers points tracker, PlusPoints, and the tile shows the number of points that the user has left for the day, so at midnight I want it to reset to be their daily allowed number. My ratings are much higher than the official Weight Watchers app, BTW... ;)

As for my battery, I've let the grandson sit here and play Angry Birds Star Wars for about two hours maybe, and that in addition to the other use I've had all day, which was probably a low day for me (though I do have quite a few live tiles), and that's left me at about 50%. For those who want to keep an eye on their battery use with better precision, here's an app for you:
Battery Level for WP8 And when you use it - keep in mind that the number on the tile comes from a background task - so it runs periodically - it is not instantaneous. So if you want up to the minute status, tap it.

downstevedown

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Off charger at 5PM yesterday, 68%/17:46 left at 7AM. E-mail, a little surfing, some texts, couple of calls, and some Fruit Ninja. If this is a break-in charge, I think I'll be very happy when it's fully broken in!

atrau1

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
My battery life is amazing after 2 cycles. It was horrible the first 2 days and then i let it die completely and charged it and i had great battery life. I did it again and my phone is going on 17 hours with a charge and i still have 40% left. wow!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok,I did a little test on my drive to work. I started with 100%, and used no power from the car. Used Nokia Drive on the way to work, streamed Nokia Music the whole way, and also downloaded the mix I was listening to.

So, for 35 minutes (light traffic - it usually takes 45-60), the screen was on, the GPS radio was inconstant use, and the LTE radio was in constant use.

How did it end up when I got to work? 72%. Good? I don't know. I've never done a test like this before. But I've also not completely cycled my battery yet. I don't think I've gotten it much below 50% yet, but today I intend to run it to the point of shutting down. Then I'll repeat this little test.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
One thing I noticed is the 822 has a 1800mah battery and the 820 has a 1650 may battery . At least Verizon put a bigger battery in the Lumia then ATT did.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That doesn't sound good. Bluetooth on or off? Just curious

I never turn my Bluetooth off and it is paired with my car stereo for headset. Playing the music was through the cable, as the car is new enough to have the hands free protocol but not the streaming audio protocol. I find it too handy to just get into the car and motto have to do anything and have them pair, and in my situation in never far from being able to charge. I sit at a desk all day, I have (normally) close to an hour commute, and of course at home I can charge if need be but after an hour in the car that is rare.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Did the same experiment, same conditions, on my way home from work. I'd run the battery dead at work, but only got it charged back up to 96%. It took 50 minutes to get home, and I was down to 74% when I got home. So it improved, by 6%, even without taking into consideration the fact that it took me 15 minutes longer - nearly 50% longer - to get home.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
My battery has been pretty solid, way better than my Trophy, which doesn't say much. I haven't paid much attention to usage but it's more than normal obviously. Been going all day and still got 20%.

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I just wish Verizon would ship my lumia 822. I ordered Thursday with the free 2 day shipping and it still doesn't say that they have even shipped it yet. I was hoping to have it today but it's looking like I won't even get it this week because of thanksgiving. Glad I didn't pay for next day

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I just wish Verizon would ship my lumia 822. I ordered Thursday with the free 2 day shipping and it still doesn't say that they have even shipped it yet. I was hoping to have it today but it's looking like I won't even get it this week because of thanksgiving. Glad I didn't pay for next day

What color you get?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)