Battery life= amazing

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Nokia Drive is one of the apps that will run in the background. It seems to be a battery sucker even if it isn't doing anything. I just had launched it to download my state, but realized I was in a location with no WiFi so I just went back to the home screen and turned off the screen. I had a 2 hour meeting last night and afterwards my battery was down to like 13%... I don't know where I was before the meeting but it was in the 40-50% range I think.

I went into Settings, swiped over to Applications and selected 'background tasks' and sure enough it was still running so I killed it. It's hard to say 100% that is what was the cause, but I've yet to have the battery die that quick in the limited time with the device. Hopefully an app like GSAM Battery Monitor will come around and help with that stuff...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Battery Level for WP8 got an update yesterday, and now it shows you a graph of your battery level over time, which can be useful if you're trying to monitor or figure out if you've got a problem, or see if a certain app uses a lot of power. Worth checking out.

downstevedown

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Going to resurrect this thread for a moment to say that my phone has been off charger for 34 hours now with web, maps, email, text, Facebook access, and several phone calls.

I'm at 60%.

teardropcity

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
What's your screen on time? On Android, it shows how many hours and minutes the screen is on, which of course greatly affects battery life. Does WP8 tell you that?

downstevedown

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'll take a look, but I haven't seen that stat yet. For reference, I have WiFi and Bluetooth on, NFC off, no network joined where I am currently. I wouldn't say I'm using it heavily, but enough to be impressed in the latter half of the second day.

(and I'm even more impressed by the soft keyboard as I type this!)

ontapbjt

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am loving the battery life on this phone. I left my house this morning at 4:15 am. I listened to 3 hrs of podcasts, spent most of the day in an area with a very weak signal, surfed the web for a bit, played with maps for a while, made a few phone calls, sent a bunch of texts, played words with friends, searched for (about 30 mins) and downloaded some apps. It's 10:53 PM and I just plugged it in to the charger at 25%.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Unplugged at 3:30am. Moderate texting and Facebook chat. Half a dozen emails from office 365 that pushes as they come in, and 3 other emails that sync on the hour. 90minute total commute time with Nokia music on LTE. 20mins of Infinite Flight. 2 phone calls. 15 mins of shooting pics.

Down to 18% after a 19 hour work day. That's between varied use of LTE, WiFi, and Bluetooth

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't wanna hijack this thread, but I just wanted to check in and see if this was normal.
My phone drops 10% over night and the only apps that are allowed to run in the background are battery level and weather. I have WiFi on, bur Bluetooth and NFC off. 100% last night when I took it off the charger, 96% two hours later with minimal use, and then 87% when I woke up this morning. I feel like the battery is getting worse since I got it. When I got it, it seemed to only drop 2% over night. Is something wrong or do I have some setting messed up

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't wanna hijack this thread, but I just wanted to check in and see if this was normal.
My phone drops 10% over night and the only apps that are allowed to run in the background are battery level and weather. I have WiFi on, bur Bluetooth and NFC off. 100% last night when I took it off the charger, 96% two hours later with minimal use, and then 87% when I woke up this morning. I feel like the battery is getting worse since I got it. When I got it, it seemed to only drop 2% over night. Is something wrong or do I have some setting messed up
Do you have location turned on?

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yes I do, could that be affecting it alot? Is there a way to turn it off system wide or do you have to go in each individual app and turn it off?

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes I do, could that be affecting it alot? Is there a way to turn it off system wide or do you have to go in each individual app and turn it off?

I personally leave location off unless I need GPS. The Weather Channel app will use your location to personalize ad's. So I am guessing that it is grabbing your location even while running in the background. I could be wrong but it's something you can try.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
1 day and 9 hours in and I'm at 29%. I haven't been using that much, but it's still impressive to me. I've got NFC, Bluetooth, Location, and whatever else all on.

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just feel like mine dies so quick. Like 3 % an hour when its sitting in my pocket. I went to go exchange it today, and the sales clerk took out both batteries and laid them next to each other, and I think actually put the old battery back in the new phone, so if it was the battery that was bad, that didn't even get switched out.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I just feel like mine dies so quick. Like 3 % an hour when its sitting in my pocket. I went to go exchange it today, and the sales clerk took out both batteries and laid them next to each other, and I think actually put the old battery back in the new phone, so if it was the battery that was bad, that didn't even get switched out.

Do you have Skype or Whatsapp installed?

dm984

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm on my 6th day now and as of today my battery life has significantly improved. Last week I would hit battery saver mode after about 11 hours being off the charger and now I'm at 55% remaining after 10 hours off the charger (with more usage). I'm in an LTE area but usually only one or two signal bars. In the beginning the estimated time remaining would say about 14hrs immediately after removing from the charger on a full charge, but this morning it said 3 days. I understand this is a software estimate, but I'd like to think that its at least telling of improvement.

I did the following:
-disabled all background tasks, nfc, location, wifi, & bluetooth
-pull email at 1hr intervals
-changed cellular from Global to LTE & CDMA only (don't know the details, I just read it somewhere)
-downloaded the Battery Discharger app and ran it a couple of times
-powered off the phone, turned back on & set to airplane mode for 30 minutes, then turned airplane mode off (read that on nokia's forums, just did that this morning)

I don't know the contribution of each of those things, but that's what I've done up until this point and I can say that my battery life is better. So, it might be worth a try to you others too.

(First post!)

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Hmm I'll try going from global to LTE and CDMA, that sounds promising perhaps. What's the deal with the airplane mode thing, thats kind of weird?

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Well I turned off the global and switched to lte cdma, and so far I've been off the charger for 6 hrs and I'm at 89% with what I would consider light use, little bit of Nokia music, email checking, and a little bit of browsing. Does this sound about average to everyone else?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos