The "It's a lot nicer than I thought" thread

zhelfrich

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
the only thing i find myself not liking is its too light i actually like the heft of the 920 it feels durable and solid its my favorite windows phone and if verizon offered it i would own it no question i can no longer stay with at&t after hurricane sandy left me with no att service when i needed it most and my girlfriends verizon iphone didnt skip a beat so i came to verizon. i was originally going to go for the 8x being it was the flagship the hiring res screen and the beats audio seemed interesting but in the end my inability to find one in store and the 822 being there compiled with the nokia exclusive apps convinced me to try. so im still hoping to try an 8x but im pretty happy with the 822

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
the only thing i find myself not liking is its too light.

I actually agree, I think it's too light and that's been my only dislike at the moment. The weight and texture (and size compared to the Trophy, I'm not used to this size) make it hard for me to hold. I'll get used to it, but I'm not there yet. Dropped it getting out of the car yesterday and dinged a corner already. :-\

zhelfrich

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I actually agree, I think it's too light and that's been my only dislike at the moment. The weight and texture (and size compared to the Trophy, I'm not used to this size) make it hard for me to hold. I'll get used to it, but I'm not there yet. Dropped it getting out of the car yesterday and dinged a corner already. :-\

that sucks my dog got tangled in the charger cable and ripped mine off my nightstand about 3 feet onto a hardwood floor but it was unscathed

rpm1984

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I was so bummed that the 920 wasn't coming to Verizon and I hated the look of the 822 on the net but I knew I wanted Nokia so I pre ordered the 822 anyway............I have never been more pleased with a phone. I haven't had any of the horror stories I am hearing everything I have tried to do so far has been successful. I have totally forgotten about the 920. Obviously I would still like to get that camera and bigger screen but the resolution of the screen is great for me. I did not think I would love this phone as much as I do. In my opinion it is a homerun! Especially considering I had a new every two $50 credit on my line so I got it for $50!

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I thought it looked like a bucket of puke. But now.... I'm quite fond of its appearance. I joke with my friends that I like it so much that I've had inappropriate relations with it! lol

Last edited:

Isror

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I thought it looked like a bucket of puke. But now.... I'm quite fond of its appearance. I joke with my friends that I like it so much that I've had inappropriate relations with! lol

Hardy har har...But seriously, I really like what Nokia and VZW brought to market with the 822. I don't know what else to say other than it just feels right for the device. Now that I own it, I can't imagine it any different.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Am I disappointed VZW didn't get the 920 or variant there of? Yes. But compared to what I had before, the 822 is loads better and I am happy anyway. I will have a line available for upgrade next year so if some wiz bang high end WP8 comes out by then I will have an option of using that upgrade for it. So I am good for now.

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
The phone feels solid, well built, and far from cheap. The body is plastic, with no soft coating, and the edges are a little sharper than I'm used to. The screen is great, and I don't think it's fair to compare it to another screen just based on a spec sheet. Numbers say its too big for its resolution, and has too low of a ppi, but that reality of it is much different. It must be seen, in person, to really be appreciated. It's bright, colorful, and looks great in sunlight.

The phone itself is light, but not so much as to make it feel like it's hollow, or that its going to blow away in a stiff breeze or anything. Design is subjective, but I happen to like it. Mine is black and is finished in matte so it's easy to hold. It's fairly plain, but has some nice lines to it. The VZW logo doesn't bother me, which is more than I can say for their decision to brand the home button on the Galaxy Note II. Perhaps it just looks out of place on that device, or because there isn't another version of the 822 without the brand to compare it to, but I find I take more offense to that, than to the logo on the 822. It's silly, but that's just my opinion on the subject.

Now, I like the phone quite a bit, but I'm not sure I'm sold on Windows Phone itself. I put up a more detailed opinion in the "Have you returned you WP8 device for an Android or iOS" thread in the WP8 section of this forum. I know this is a Windows Phone forum, and what the heck am I doing here if I don't like Windows Phone, but it's my first hands-on with the system and it hasn't yet grabbed me in 24 hours of solid use. That's not for this discussion though.

If I had to put a number on the L822, I'd give it a solid 8 or 9, easily. It's a well built, well designed, quality device and if I didn't have reservations about its software, I'd be very happy with it. I'm giving WP8 another week to make me enough of a believer to feel like I can be happy with it over a two year contract.

I originally had a Droid X and moved to the HTC Trophy (WP7) on VZW because I wanted to try something different. I immediately fell in love with it. The UI was so smooth and lag free and a joy to use. NO resets. ZERO problems. Then I decided to give the Trophy to my wife since her Droid 2 took a crap on her. She hated the D2 and constantly complained about it. But once I gave her the Trophy she stopped complaining. It just worked for her and she fell in love with it too. I went back to my DX and could hardly believe just how bad the lag was. It seemed almost unusable compared to the Trophy. I came to absolutely hate that phone with a passion because of constant issues I had (lag, reboots, and factory resets in hopes to solve problems). Now that WP8 is finally here, I am now enjoying the Nokia L822 and am stress free. That phone and its OS is simply amazing. (I know the marketplace is a bit young yet but I don't feel like I really missing out on anything when it comes to apps.) I will never go back to android. I hope this helps you decide.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I just got mine and can't get over the speed difference between the 822 and the Trophy. Also, the LTE is just incredible. I can use XBox music to download whole albums on LTE in less than 5 minutes!! Just incredible. Screen is AWESOME in full sunlight. Unbelievable really. Wow, just wow.

mountainman

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I am going to chime in - went to VzW to check out the HTC 8x - but like you guys/gals, I was drawn more to the 822. It just felt more substantial in hand. Plus, I like the removable battery and microSD.

I seriously almost bought it - I just did not like the way text looked on it. Up that screen res and I'm in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99