About to leave WP8, please stop me.

Zach Lindner

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys -- Just got the Lumia 822 last night. And after using it for a while, I think I made the wrong choice. There are some major issues I have right now. Does anybody have any workarounds? I

Nokia Maps: It doesn't show multiple routes. I'm in NYC, and this is absolutely necessary.
Facebook: There are some issues with Facebook that are just making me mad - f I get sent an event invite, there is no info on the "info" page!! - is anybody else having this issue??
Yelp: Yelp doesn't allow you to log in and do normal activity (see bookmarks, etc)

2. No blinking notification light or reminder that I have missed a text or an email. I find it unacceptable that I constantly have to pick up my phone and press a button to see that I have missed something.

Help??

Eric Hon

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Hey Zach, are you new to the platform? Just wondering because Yelp has never allowed log-in yet since its incarnation on the platform and I understand your pain. As for Nokia, I'm not familiar with the LED notification light since I've never used Nokia before (currently owner of 1st gen HTC Trophy). My HTC does have the blinking lights when there's a missed call. As for facebook, there's been issues with it lately, so it's not a phone issue. As for Nokia maps, I can't chime in on that either.

Guakala

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
No clue on Yelp and Facebook. While it is true that Nokia Drive doesn't offer multiple routes other applications do, like Navigon. The notification issue is something you should have looked at before making your purchase as it isn't something that WP8 lacks but rather Nokia in this case. The HTC 8X does have a notification light although I'm not sure of what it notifies.

Genserik

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'd say look at it this way. No notification light means more battery. 😃 I noticed the same thing yesterday though - overlooking it though 😥

mpelti

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Nokia Maps: It doesn't show multiple routes. I'm in NYC, and this is absolutely necessary.
Yelp: Yelp doesn't allow you to log in and do normal activity (see bookmarks, etc)

2. No blinking notification light or reminder that I have missed a text or an email. I find it unacceptable that I constantly have to pick up my phone and press a button to see that I have missed something.

Help??

1a Hoping Waze comes to WP8. My favorite nav on Android.
1c Yeah, yelps app is basically just a placeholder so they have a search result in the app store. I have a lot of friends on yelp, so those checkins are bigger than foursquare for me. I'd also love to have the same messaging options as the ios version, but I'm not holding my breath.

2 one of the biggest things I'll miss from android. It's a trade-off.

Zach Lindner

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Yes -- I'm new to the platform...I'm going to try and give this phone a week or so.

The notifications are a killer though. I looked at the phone and saw an LED and assumed for some reason that it would actually be USED...I didn't even think to check if it wasn't part of the functionality. It's so hard having this beautiful phone that doesn't have the apps and functionality that I used to have...and it hurts. I really don't like iPhone, but I may just make the switch so that I can have access to all the apps...however many WP8 has, it definitely isn't enough. I don't want to have to pay $50 for a better map app that was free before!

Genserik

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Maybe we can get windows phone hacker to develop a 'Notification' light on the phone....where it keeps the screen black except for a portion of the front screen. Or maybe to flash the backlight under the back arrow/home/search key.

schartzr

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Yes -- I'm new to the platform...I'm going to try and give this phone a week or so.

The notifications are a killer though. I looked at the phone and saw an LED and assumed for some reason that it would actually be USED...I didn't even think to check if it wasn't part of the functionality. It's so hard having this beautiful phone that doesn't have the apps and functionality that I used to have...and it hurts. I really don't like iPhone, but I may just make the switch so that I can have access to all the apps...however many WP8 has, it definitely isn't enough. I don't want to have to pay $50 for a better map app that was free before!

UMMMM iPhone dose not have notification lights so you would still have to press a button to see it as well and the new Apple Maps does not provide alternate route. I speak from experience. Only android and that is just recently.

And you say ALL the apps what apps do you need that WP8 doesnt have right now. One thing people need to remember is that iPhones didnt have a ton of apps starting out. IT has taken them 6 years to get where they are. The growth rater of WP is actually faster than that of iPhone or Android. And besides how many FART apps does one app store really need. LOL

Bspain

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
How many map apps on iPhone are there that are free and work better than Nokia Drive? Genuinely asking here as a point of interest. I'll still be buying a Nokia 820 regardless.

eastbayrae

Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
-Nokia Maps/Drive is total garbage. Lock-ups, freeezing, forgetting where I am, map stops moving BUT voice keeps updating, etc. YES I know it's FREE and in BETA. Still, it's unsat that they both have so MANY bugs/issues. I have been trying in vain to use both the past two weeks while in Germany. If you switch between apps while Drive is active the map stops moving when it finally, it takes minutes AND can lock up the phone, resumes.

-Facebook: no problem here.

-Blink light: my phone is generally in my pocket so I don't mind not having the indicator.

Colin Perkins

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Is there really a comment here about no notification light....wtf....get a grip of yourself......how bloody lazy!

you should be rejoicing you haven't got a mini disco on the top of your phone!!!!

Eric Hon

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
On the HTC, notification light (green) blinks when there's a missed call/new voicemail message. That's it, has nothing to do with 3rd party apps. I just noticed that the Lumia 920 seems to be lacking this feature.

Etyrnus

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
That notification light is an HTC thing. They are the main ones on the WP and Android platforms that use them, to varying degrees. My old surround had one. So if that is a feature you're seeking, look to HTC. Really minor item to have such stress over.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The only thing the led on an HTC windows phone does is blink when you have a missed call. I miss that from android, but WP has other strengths that make up for that in my use.

sinlessearth

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I think the only device that has an LED notification is a Blackberry. I will say that when I switched from my blackberry about 2 years ago that was one of the biggest things I missed but I got over it quick because I was actually able to use the real internet on my WP. Someone said the LED is lazy. I know that the LED flashing does not kill the battery as fast as always flashing the screen and everytime the screen comes on then it is searching for WIFI. There are advantages to the flashing LED. The GPS issue. If you want all the features of GPS navigation buy a real GPS.

konner920

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
I think the only device that has an LED notification is a Blackberry. I will say that when I switched from my blackberry about 2 years ago that was one of the biggest things I missed but I got over it quick because I was actually able to use the real internet on my WP. Someone said the LED is lazy. I know that the LED flashing does not kill the battery as fast as always flashing the screen and everytime the screen comes on then it is searching for WIFI. There are advantages to the flashing LED. The GPS issue. If you want all the features of GPS navigation buy a real GPS.

The nexus 4 and galaxy nexus has a notification light. When I woke up every morning I looked to my side when I had my galaxy nexus to see the blinking green light letting me know people actually wanted to talk to me. Aka I had a text.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Looking at the big picture of what you want and are NOT getting, perhaps Windows Phone is not the platform for you. My question is, do the other platforms deliver exactly what you need?

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Get the HTC 8X then. It is also on Verizon. It does have a notification light.

And since when do people use a LED flash as a notification light?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster