T-mobile's wifi calling

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
There might be some confusion to how T-Mobile's Wi-Fi calling actually works... Their current Wi-Fi Apps are not the same as the hardware based UMA connections they used to use. The App simply routes the call to T-Mobile's network over an internet connection rather than a cellular connection. T-Mobile's backhaul receives the signal from the internet and processes it through the system like a cellular call. This is why you have serious problems with hand-offs from Wi-Fi calling to cellular calling usually. It is also why MMS won't work over Wi-Fi calling (since MMS requires a secure data connection to the servers to send/receive messages).

There's no magical hardware needed to send a signal to the T-Mobile's servers. UMA is a hardware based system, but that is not what T-Mobile is deploying on Windows Phone or Android devices. The solution they have is completely software based.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
look at the reviews in ms store for all the wp apps they have developed and you will know your answer :p

I haven't got time to look at all the apps -seriously.
All but only 2 apps of the 108 apps I've added since I purchased my Lumia 810 work just fine,
The 2 that don't are two that I was pretty sure didn't work before I installed them and that was Wi-Fi Calling and Lumia storage check beta.
So I don't get your comment if you mean that most of the apps were developed for some unnamed phone that I have to find by
"look(ing) at the reviews in ms store for all the wp apps"
Because other than those 2 the other 106 work just fine no complaints, I guess I have to try all of the thousands of apps to find more that don't work but I don't use
all the apps I have -yet ( lots of photography apps) so I'll get back with a report in a year or two -but probably never. But if you want to answer your question that would be great
if not then... because I'm not gonna read all the reviews for all the wp apps just to find out :wink:

ssapre

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I haven't got time to look at all the apps -seriously.
All but only 2 apps of the 108 apps I've added since I purchased my Lumia 810 work just fine,
The 2 that don't are two that I was pretty sure didn't work before I installed them and that was Wi-Fi Calling and Lumia storage check beta.
So I don't get your comment if you mean that most of the apps were developed for some unnamed phone that I have to find by
"look(ing) at the reviews in ms store for all the wp apps"
Because other than those 2 the other 106 work just fine no complaints, I guess I have to try all of the thousands of apps to find more that don't work but I don't use
all the apps I have -yet ( lots of photography apps) so I'll get back with a report in a year or two -but probably never. But if you want to answer your question that would be great
if not then... because I'm not gonna read all the reviews for all the wp apps just to find out :wink:

I believe he meant to look at the reviews for 'what all apps TMO has developed for WP' .. I would totally agree without seeing all reviews though :grin:

mschmi02

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
it works ok on my 925... I use it at work, where I work in a radiation shielded building that gets no cel coverage. However, it does drop calls if I'm talking and I move out of wifi coverage which is kind of annoying.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Uh.

So, I just read through this thread. This couldn't be more confusing.

Simple question:

Wifi on 810 possible now or no?

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I believe he meant to look at the reviews for 'what all apps TMO has developed for WP' .. I would totally agree without seeing all reviews though :grin:

And is there a filter to look for Made by T Mobile or do I still have to search through all the apps :smile:

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Scroll down down on that link and you will see more from tmous
I know what you are talking about but on my page (USA) it says 0

T-Mobile USA

Download size
1 MB
Report concern to Microsoft

Last updated
11/26/2012

Version

Works with
Windows Phone 8

App requires

phone identity
owner identity
data services
push notification service
HD720P (720x1280)
WVGA (480x800)
WXGA (768x1280)
What's this?

Supported languages (1)

English (United States)

Download and install manually

Learn more

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
There's no magical hardware needed to send a signal to the T-Mobile's servers. UMA is a hardware based system, but that is not what T-Mobile is deploying on Windows Phone or Android devices. The solution they have is completely software based.

Wrong. UMA/Wifi Calling may be either hardware or software based. Originally, just hardware. The Nokia 6086, maybe the first TM UMA phone, was the UMA version of the 6085. My E73 Nokia is the hardware UMA based version of the E72. Then along came Kineto, a company that allowed a change in the kernel of Androids after maybe 2.3?. Those and similar are software based. Unless Nokia has a bit of hardware lurking to be activated for UMA with the new upgrade, it will be software based.

You can tell the difference easily. When on wifi/UMA walk to where you don't have the wifi signal. If the call drops, your phone is software based. If it doesn't, it has switched to cellular and is hardware based. I've found that on my Android, it took a stronger signal to succeed than my hardware based phones.

(Been Hotspot@Home/UMA/Wifi Calling since it came to TM in 2007)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers