My thoughts on 810 so far...

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I just got mine earlier today and am liking it. However, is anyone else having problems with their phone? When I receive a text message, there is no notification. As in, there is no sound or any indication that I have a text message unread.

That's happened to me not with the regular texts but with the HeyWire text app at times.

I'm noticing alerts for Words with Friends all the time, though.

intoxicated662

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Overall, i'm disappointed with the phone and am thinking of returning it. After installing about 35 of my Windows Phone games that I purchased, i'm already down to 84mb and that is because i've only installed a couple of other Apps all which are 15mb or less each. I couldn't send a text message earlier because I was "on low space" so I had to restart my phone and when I did, it didn't recognize my micro sim so I had to restart my phone again for it to work properly. I don't see much of a point of having the Micro SD card slot since we can't save apps, games or other stuff to it other than just our music & videos. I spent $460 for the phone and another $45 for the micro sd 64gb card and am regretting the purchase now.

Anyone else feeling similar? I kinda miss how my Samsung Focus was. 8gb+32gb micro sim and I still had 12gb left for various things. Also, on that Samsung Focus I could save games or anything to the overall memory. Thus, out of about 39gb I still had 12gb left. As for the upgrade, feels more like a limitation and downgrade.

Currently, when I go to Settings>Phone Storage>Phone this is what shows up:

music+videos=0 bytes
pictures=2.21 mb
apps=3.67 gb
other=1.75 gb
system=1.90 gb
free space=89.06 mb

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Overall, i'm disappointed with the phone and am thinking of returning it. After installing about 35 of my Windows Phone games that I purchased, i'm already down to 84mb and that is because i've only installed a couple of other Apps all which are 15mb or less each. I couldn't send a text message earlier because I was "on low space" so I had to restart my phone and when I did, it didn't recognize my micro sim so I had to restart my phone again for it to work properly. I don't see much of a point of having the Micro SD card slot since we can't save apps, games or other stuff to it other than just our music & videos. I spent $460 for the phone and another $45 for the micro sd 64gb card and am regretting the purchase now.

Anyone else feeling similar? I kinda miss how my Samsung Focus was. 8gb+32gb micro sim and I still had 12gb left for various things. Also, on that Samsung Focus I could save games or anything to the overall memory. Thus, out of about 39gb I still had 12gb left. As for the upgrade, feels more like a limitation and downgrade.

Currently, when I go to Settings>Phone Storage>Phone this is what shows up:

music+videos=0 bytes
pictures=2.21 mb
apps=3.67 gb
other=1.75 gb
system=1.90 gb
free space=89.06 mb

same thing with me, I bought 64gb card thinking I can install apps on it. I have very few and limited apps installed. I can't install all the apps that I purchases on my dell venue pro.

intoxicated662

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, exactly. What was Nokia thinking when they did this mess? Even my couple of years old Samsung Focus is ahead of this new NL 810 phone in some ways and i'm baffled. I just realized that I can't return it to the MS Store unless it's defective. I'm sure I could talk to them on the phone and reason, but just going to go the Craigslist route. Lots of apps I purchased on my WP7 aren't available also now on the 810 or i'm being asked to purchase it again (hey dj! is an example). I don't know where most of my space is going to other than games, I already deleted all the Nokia apps and stuff that game pre-installed on the phone and i'm still dying of space. Micro Sd card feels pointless in a sense..

intoxicated662

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Good question, unfortunately I have no answer for that and tried googling it but no luck. I don't understand how a big company like Nokia can go in a reverse direction when it comes to something like Storage (memory/space) and if an older phone like mine can do it then why didn't they do it with this phone? Storage is a deciding factor for me since I buy lots of Windows Phone games and that is the sole purpose of getting it (aside from music & videos which I store on an SD Card anyways). I can't even download and play all the games I purchased nor use apps either and we're limited.

intoxicated662

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I just uninstalled all of my Windows Phone games and got back 4gb but I lost out on about 37 games I paid for. So then, i'll have to limit myself as to what games I can install and play at a time. I feel like i'm back in the 90's and took a step back. Just going to sell the phone and try to recoup what I spent & stay with my older WP7. It now states:

music+videos=0 mb
pictures=2.21 mb
apps=42.45 mb
other=1.32 gb
system=1.90 gb
free space=4.14 gb

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Mine has been sitting in the UPS warehouse since Wednesday, and I'm going to return it. The phone I'm typing on now, the HD7, can be upgraded to 64Gb...I'm going to stick with it because 8GB for just apps is a deal breaker.

intoxicated662

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Mine has been sitting in the UPS warehouse since Wednesday, and I'm going to return it. The phone I'm typing on now, the HD7, can be upgraded to 64Gb...I'm going to stick with it because 8GB for just apps is a deal breaker.

Word of advice, stay with what you currently have or had before. If memory/storage isn't a big issue for you then get a WP8. I don't see how Nokia let this slip and happen, it is unacceptable. It makes no sense and I regret my purchase now. I deleted all of the Apps that the phone came with it and I was still on low storage space. I had to uninstall all 37 of my WP games to get 4gb back that defeats the purpose of having a new, upgraded phone.

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
I just uninstalled all of my Windows Phone games and got back 4gb but I lost out on about 37 games I paid for. So then, i'll have to limit myself as to what games I can install and play at a time. I feel like i'm back in the 90's and took a step back. Just going to sell the phone and try to recoup what I spent & stay with my older WP7. It now states:music+videos=0 mbpictures=2.21 mbapps=42.45 mbother=1.32 gbsystem=1.90 gbfree space=4.14 gb
Guys, forgive me. But, I don't understand your grievances here. Did you not research the phone prior to purchasing it? For me the decision came down to 8X vs 810. I researched both thoroughly and decided on the 810. I was well aware that it only had 8GB of internal storage which is less than both the 8X and my Venue Pro.My DVP has over 8GB of apps/games currently installed and I knew that I wouldn't be able to install them all onto the 810 as apps/games can only be installed to internal memory and not an SD card. I made the decision that I could live with that. Otherwise, I would've chosen the 8X.If you did research the phone prior to purchasing, what's your complaint? The information that the SD card could only store music, videos, and documents has been out. Which means, if you had more than 7.5GB worth of apps/games you wanted on your phone, this wasn't the phone for you.To have researched the phone's capabilities, purchase the phone and then complain about those same capabilities seems irrational to me. And, to have not researched the capabilities, or lack thereof, of the phone, purchase it and then complain about its lack of capabilities also seems irrational. I'm just trying to understand here. You all clearly made a decision of your own volition, yet somehow this is Nokia's fault? That's like needing to have a vehicle with a large trunk/boot and then deciding to go out and purchase a roadster then getting mad because it can only accommodate one bag.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand you thinking someone blamed Nokia. No, I did not know you can only use the internal storage for just apps, and yes, I'm returning it....question?

intoxicated662

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
Prior to purchasing it, since it was new all the reviews I saw failed to mention the limited storage capacity and how you cannot install Apps to the Micro SD Card which makes it useless and just a basic phone. Lots of people like myself were looking to upgrade, not downgrade. I still see lots of reviews going around, but no one is mentioning the lack of space and I only noticed it now on a random site I found through google where a person who commented stated that you really only have about 4gb left after the OS installs fresh and all. My Samsung Focus lets me use a Micro SD Card and allocate space in total overall, thus letting me install Apps to the Micro SD Card. Which part of that didn't you get? Nokia took a step backwards. Nowhere on the Nokia website nor T-Mobile website state you are that limited to space and that you cannot save/install Apps to a micro sd card and what not. If anything, I feel like the phone now is more of a (photo) digital camera.

Clancynobi

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I went from the 8GB DVP to the 810 so it was an upgrade for me, I use the Micro SD for Music which is exactly what the expectation was when I bought the phone. When I do not need an App I Uninstall it, there are plenty of games I look at and have not touched in a year so why keep them on the phone? I figure MS will release an update that will allow you to use the SIM then they will get flooded with people complaining Apps are to slow.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I know I haven't been around here that long, but one thing that I've noticed is that you can't voice your opinion without someone who sounds like a fan getting upset like they will be punished if someone else doesn't like or choose what they like. To some of you, the storage isn't a factor...to others, it is. Congrats to all that has this phone, but it isn't the one for me at this point...and I hope that the hardest of the hardcore can understand that.

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Prior to purchasing it, since it was new all the reviews I saw failed to mention the limited storage capacity and how you cannot install Apps to the Micro SD Card which makes it useless and just a basic phone. Lots of people like myself were looking to upgrade, not downgrade. I still see lots of reviews going around, but no one is mentioning the lack of space and I only noticed it now on a random site I found through google where a person who commented stated that you really only have about 4gb left after the OS installs fresh and all. My Samsung Focus lets me use a Micro SD Card and allocate space in total overall, thus letting me install Apps to the Micro SD Card. Which part of that didn't you get? Nokia took a step backwards. Nowhere on the Nokia website nor T-Mobile website state you are that limited to space and that you cannot save/install Apps to a micro sd card and what not. If anything, I feel like the phone now is more of a (photo) digital camera.

Now, I can certainly understand if you couldn't find the information. It was out there, but I suppose it certainly could've been missed. Fortunately, I did find the info before purchasing the phone and decided to go ahead anyway. And, trust me... I debated on whether or not I could manage with just 8GB of storage. I realize that most of my storage was taken up by games that I didn't play anymore. I still had Star Wars: Battle of Hoth on my DVP. That game was pulled from the market over a year and a half ago.

So, now I have all the apps I need and games that I do play. If I beat a game, I'll uninstall it.I can live with the storage until I see what Nokia comes out with this Spring and what's gonna hit Tmo. Again, I was just trying to understand why people would purchase a phone that didn't suit their needs provided the information was available. Daniel even posted that the SD card couldn't be used for apps. But, if you missed it, you missed it. Grab the 8X or something else that works better for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster