My thoughts on 810 so far...

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
woot woot metalchick!

glad you're loving the phone - i was going to mention the built-in calendar is awesome...i absolutely love it and that's saying a lot for a blackberry guy! so textplus is in the marketplace but it just doesn't work? i haven't installed it but that's because i have no need...but used to use it "back in the day"

i'm really glad there are so many people impressed with the 810...for all the negativity it got, i think it's really proving people wrong. a solid device, very well rounded. now we get to wear them out! :D

textPlus is indeed available for WP. Sadly, though, it seems to only work in WP7. It wouldn't load at all on my phone.

The phone is way better looking in person! I originally liked he design of the 820 better, but it's a really great looking phone and I can see it being a top seller for T-Mobile. :D Reminds me, I have to leave a review on T-Mo's website later. ;)

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to the Windows Phone Mobile! I have the original Samsung Focus from launch which is 8gb and added a 32gb micro sd card. I love my phone and am getting the Nokia Lumia 810 soon as well. I am glad you made the change and I too was a former iPhone user (4 & 4s). Social integration is way better on WP among other things. Don't forget about Nokia Music. I'd recommend MetroRadio Pro if you're into Pandora, that is a 3rd party unofficial app and worth the price for no ads. Baconit is an app I recommend for Reddit, it's free. Hey DJ! is a good music app too.

These are some other apps I recommend:

iHeartRadio *free* radio stations
Keep Alive *free* keeps wifi signal alive
Last.Fm *free* radio stations
Marketplace Deals *free* let's you know of price drops and recent apps gone free
MetroTube Youtube video player
My Notes similar to that of the phone 4's built in app, saves Notes
Myxer *free* ringtones for your phone
Photo Lock requires password for users to see photos you have moved there for privacy
Radio Controlled *free* Pandora app from 3rd party with ads
Reinstaller *free* will reinstall your apps for you
ShopSavvy *free* price comparisons and such
SoundHound Music identifier similar to shazam
Stop the music! will stop any music playing from showing up on the top of the screen without having to restart phone
Yellowpages *free*
WPCentral

Thanks for the welcome and all the recommendations! :D I've downloaded a few of those already. I'm still mulling over iHeartRadio because it refuses to play custom stations on my best friend's Lumia 710. I'm worried it would do the same on my phone. Stop the Music has been on my list! I have yet to play music so far other than accidentally when I was adding it, lol, but that looks to be a good app to have. :)

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Here's something funny, I was at lunch and had my 810 on the table. A friend stopped and looked at me and the phone and said "You got an iPhone5? I thought you hated Apple?" I just looked at them and said, "Naaa... I got something better." and hit the wake/power button and handed it to them. First thing they said was "WOW! That's a cool lock screen." (set to Bing) It took them a bit to figure out how to unlock, then they freaked out. "Holy s*&t, what is this?" and they started hitting tiles and exploring. I kept saying "It's a Windows phone" but they kept interrupting with "Whoaa... that's neat."

They completely lost it with the "Nokia City Lens". They kept asking how they can get it on their Android phone. Hehehehe.

As for the Camera. Hate to say it, but the "Auto" settings are weak. I get better images when I go in and set the ISO, and shutter manually.

LOL, classic! :D I have an iPhone 4 but don't see how they would think it looks like an iPhone.

CityLens is incredible! I played with it on a Lumia 920 at an AT&T store last week and was really blown away! Can't wait to use it on my 810! :D

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
That's awesome that you finally got your 810. I really want to see it in person. Went to a T-Mo store on Saturday but they were closed. Will have to try again another day.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully a patch is coming to allow that. I have a brand new 64GB card, but I'm thinking of putting that in my HD7, and using the 32GB card from that.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
How do you feel about the thickness of the device compared to other smartphones you have owned?

It's a lot thinner than I expected. Mostly everyone who's reviewed the 810 has claimed it's a "brick" or whatnot, but I don't see it that way. I'm of course coming from an iPhone 4, but I always used it with a case, first two different battery cases and then a slimmer rubbery one. The 810 is definitely thinner than my iPhone with its thinnest case, so I have no complaints. :)

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
How I wish we can install the apps on SD card . I have 59gb free on my card but 2.73gb free on the 810.
I don't think anyone else has found this bit of info:

How do I install apps from an SD card?[windowsphone.com]

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like a great way to side load apps. If it works, I feel sorry for the people who kept telling me "You don't need a microSD card, you have cloud storage."

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
LOL, classic! :D I have an iPhone 4 but don't see how they would think it looks like an iPhone.
If you see it out of the corner of you eye, it kinda does. At least I did when I first saw the 810.

One second thought, I shouldn't have said that. Now Apple will sue Nokia. (If you can't innovate, litigate!!)

Rhoyz

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't think anyone else has found this bit of info:

How do I install apps from an SD card?[windowsphone.com]

I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like a great way to side load apps. If it works, I feel sorry for the people who kept telling me "You don't need a microSD card, you have cloud storage."

thanks,but I really need to install app to an SD card not from the SD card. I can't even install all the apps and games I previously had on my dell venue pro.

wprob

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
How do you feel about the thickness of the device compared to other smartphones you have owned?

it's certainly not as thick as it looks - i think the shape or the fact that the design doesn't taper on the back makes it look more like a "brick." that was my very first impression as well upon seeing PHOTOS when the phone was announced, but once in my hand, it was almost as though it was a different phone entirely - if that makes any sense at all. :)

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
thanks,but I really need to install app to an SD card not from the SD card. I can't even install all the apps and games I previously had on my dell venue pro.
Ya, I know. This was the only thing I find. But I do wonder if you fill up the onboard memory, will it start using the microSD.

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site

We're in the same boat. I just left off installing some of the games I had previously as those take up the most space. Many I didn't even play. So, I'm dealing. But, I knew this before I purchased the phone and decided I could live with it.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I don't have mine yet, it's bought and in a box but it's going under the tree to replace my wife L710 but I did get to spend some time with it live at the store. I didn't think it was heavy so i'm not so sure on all the comments that this phone is a brick, then I got thinking that many folks say the L920 is heavy to heavy well if they think or are having problems lifting Mobile phones how the heck do they lift anything else? or that perhaps they should put there "heavy" mobile devices up and start doing curls with it.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
it's certainly not as thick as it looks - i think the shape or the fact that the design doesn't taper on the back makes it look more like a "brick." that was my very first impression as well upon seeing PHOTOS when the phone was announced, but once in my hand, it was almost as though it was a different phone entirely - if that makes any sense at all. :)

I think I get what you are saying. I went through the same situation with the 710. The pictures of the 710 made it look like it was cheap and chunky, but when I held it in my hand it looked a lot better. Plus seeing from other angles made it look a lot more pleasing than what the standard pictures showed.

Also, when I got my cyan cover for my 710 the two-tone appearance made it look really nice. I expect the 810 would look just as good with a black front and blue back.

intoxicated662

Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
I just got mine earlier today and am liking it. However, is anyone else having problems with their phone? When I receive a text message, there is no notification. As in, there is no sound or any indication that I have a text message unread.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb