822's data usage?

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Just introducing myself to the WP forums everyone. I will be coming over to WP from a Blackberry. My 822 is being shipped as I type and I will have it in a couple of days. Since I decided to keep my unlimited data package with Verizon I'm curious, how's the data usage on the Lumia? Does it go trough it faster since it's a 4G phone? I came close to changing my plan and can always later.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Welcome!

I've had my 822 less than a week, and this has been a light month for me, so I can't really say, especially since in the beginning with setting up a new phone, I'll be using more data than usual... But as far as going through it faster, that's up to you. You'll get your data faster, since it's 4G. I tested and got 10Mbps down and 6Mbps up at work, so will getting your data faster cause you to use more data? ;)

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
A blackberry will use less data normally and so far for me I am pretty much on track for the month so I don't see any increase yet!

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Something else to keep in mind, DataSense will compress data in the cloud, thereby allowing you to use less data. Not sure if it has actually started working yet, but during the launch event, I think it was Joe Belfiore said that Verizon would be the first carrier to support it.

rebornempowered

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Even with having the new phone to set up I seem to be on pace for my normal data usage. I connect to Wi-Fi whenever possible so that obviously helps.

I like Data Sense a lot. I forfeited my unlimited plan to get a subsidized phone (I rarely would use more than 500 MB of data) so I have been doing things on Wi-Fi and then going into Data Sense to see how much data it consumed. I find this to be quite helpful. I was surprised to find out that watching an entire episode of MASH using Plex used up less than 35 MB.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
You might have a tendency to use more data than usual when you first get your device, since you'll probably be playing with it more and downloading new apps.

I'd suggest giving it a couple weeks to a month to tell what your more normal data usage will be like.

Another thing to keep in mind is how much you'll use WiFi vs LTE. I have an LTE device, and I've turned off WiFi in a lot of public places such as coffee houses. The WiFi was so slow compared to LTE that I couldn't stand it. Here's an example.

A127302.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium