What class SD card for the 822?

mlcooper54

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting an 822. What class memory card is recommended for this phone? I'm coming from a 1st Gen Focus where a Class 10 microSD was recommended.

Thanks,
Mark

frail47

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Anything less than Class 10 has been a sub-par experience for me. Recommended especially if you plan to record video directly to the card.

mlcooper54

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
gapost and frail47 - Thanks for the input. Back in the focus days, they (Microsoft?) wanted certified for WP7 cards. That was really tough. I ended up with a Class 10, but not certified for WP7, card it worked great. My Lumia 822 is on order through our corporate account. I do want to put my music collection on the phone. At 32 GB I have to delete music (through Zune Pass) before I can download more music. I have a vast taste in music: jazz, classical, bluegrass, new age, etc. 64GB is the way to go for me.

Thanks,
Mark

Jmh89

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
I recently purchased a 'SanDisk 64GB Ultra microSDXC UHS-I'. The original plan was to insert it in my tablet, but after I received it, the tablet only accepts up to 32gb. (my bad) I know my phone (lumia 822) supports 64gb, but when I removed the 32gb i already had in it, and inserted the sandisk 64 gb, it wouldn't recognize it. I removed it, reformatted it, put it back in the phone, and it worked! Cool, one problem down. I then saved about 20gbs of music to the card, and when I went to the music player, it was terribly slow & laggy... I thought it was because it was trying to sort out all the music. This morning, about 8 hours later, it acts the same way. I'm going to let it go for now, to see if it gets better, but at this point, it seems my old 32gb sd (i think class 8??) worked a Whole lot better. Any ideas?

Optimus82

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Hey. I have a mobile 810 and not much people seem to notice the quick specs on the back of of the box.

For the T-Mobile version of the 820, it says it supports up to 32gb of expandable memory. You might want to double check yours....

Although official specs on Nokia site says the 822 and 810 support up to 64gb....

Crakeur

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I recently purchased a 'SanDisk 64GB Ultra microSDXC UHS-I'. The original plan was to insert it in my tablet, but after I received it, the tablet only accepts up to 32gb. (my bad) I know my phone (lumia 822) supports 64gb, but when I removed the 32gb i already had in it, and inserted the sandisk 64 gb, it wouldn't recognize it. I removed it, reformatted it, put it back in the phone, and it worked! Cool, one problem down. I then saved about 20gbs of music to the card, and when I went to the music player, it was terribly slow & laggy... I thought it was because it was trying to sort out all the music. This morning, about 8 hours later, it acts the same way. I'm going to let it go for now, to see if it gets better, but at this point, it seems my old 32gb sd (i think class 8??) worked a Whole lot better. Any ideas?

I've got the same card in my 822, tons of songs on it and nary a problem now that I've retooled the music selection. It was lagging like made as a result of the zune pass music on the phone. those songs don't work with xbox music and, as a result, the system ground to a halt. Also, I've found that the nokia music app has some issues wheras the xbox music app seems to work better. nokia's app was shutting itself off every time I tried to play a song. I restarted the device and it works fine now but, still, prefer the xbox version.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

I have the same Sandisk 64GB card, and I've had no problems with it, but it was the first and only card I put in the phone, and my 822 recognized it without problems. Maybe on yours the OS got confused by the card swap, or something went wrong in the reformatting? Have you tried rebooting the phone?

Jmh89

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Whenever I use WMP to sync music to it, it's crazy laggy. When I use the much hated Windows 8 app, it's actually not to bad! I tried to simply drag & drop music, and that seemed to work too. It seems to point to WMP. Any thoughts?

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I contacted Nokia about SD card compatibility...

"Thank you for emailing Nokia USA Careline.

We appreciate that you have chosen Nokia Lumia 822 as your preferred handset. In response to your concern about its supported memory card, please be advised that the said handset supports memory cards up to 64 GB. Here are the specific models that are supported:

? 1 GB MicroSD Card: MU-22
? 2 GB MicroSD Card: MU-37
? 4 GB MicroSD Card: MU-41
? 8 GB MicroSD Card: MU-43
? 16 GB MicroSD Card: MU-44
? 32 GB MicroSD Card: MU-45

We recommend that you purchase a memory card that is manufactured by Nokia to avoid compatibility issues"

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
has anyone had any positive experience with an SD card lower than class 10? just trying to minimize cost here if possible

I can appreciate trying to minimize cost, but given that so many of us have had troubles even with class 10 cards, I wouldn't recommend going lower than that. Just a thought.

SOMEnameItried

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
It depends on what you need.

If you don't care about connecting to the computer and transferring to your sd card that way (via the phone sync), then I had no problems with recording 1080p video on an old Patriot 16gb MicroSD HC Class 2 card. I could play music no problem too. If you have to connect to the pc with this card inserted in the phone, it will make your phone fail to connect.

I've actually thought about trying to compile a sd card list (in part because I'm getting tired of waiting for other WP8 devices w/ SD cards coming out for Verizon).

Hope that helps,
Kelly

SOMEnameItried

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I contacted Nokia about SD card compatibility...

"Thank you for emailing Nokia USA Careline.

We appreciate that you have chosen Nokia Lumia 822 as your preferred handset. In response to your concern about its supported memory card, please be advised that the said handset supports memory cards up to 64 GB. Here are the specific models that are supported:

• 1 GB MicroSD Card: MU-22
• 2 GB MicroSD Card: MU-37
• 4 GB MicroSD Card: MU-41
• 8 GB MicroSD Card: MU-43
• 16 GB MicroSD Card: MU-44
• 32 GB MicroSD Card: MU-45

We recommend that you purchase a memory card that is manufactured by Nokia to avoid compatibility issues"

So they don't have suggestions for a 64gb one? Also do you know of links to these cards on where to order these at?

Thanks,
Kelly

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
@SOMEname
I didn't get that either! "the Lumia supports up to 64gb but here is a list of sd cards up to 32gb that will work"...Really??
As far as links for the cards they are Nokia branded sd cards and after a short search I couldn't find any prices. I'm going to just buy a class 10 MicroSDXC from newegg and call it a day.

SOMEnameItried

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
@SOMEname
I didn't get that either! "the Lumia supports up to 64gb but here is a list of sd cards up to 32gb that will work"...Really??
As far as links for the cards they are Nokia branded sd cards and after a short search I couldn't find any prices. I'm going to just buy a class 10 MicroSDXC from newegg and call it a day.

What a shame they couldn't offer that up. I did do a quick search for a card by them too, and I was only able to find something across the pond (UK). It seems silly that I'd need to purchase a card from that far away. Anyway @Beast, I wish you the best of luck. If you find a good match (card works for 1080p video and syncing) would you please let me know? I'd be grateful.

Thanks,
Kelly

adamski777

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I have an 820 (assume should still work for 822) and use a Sandisk 64gb SDXC class 10 card - like most people had a nightmare porting my music over but it works fine and dandy now. Noticed as the card gets more full then taking 1080p videos directly onto the card causes skips, which when the card was empty it wasn't. so for the time being I take pics and videos on to the phone memory and move them over when time allows to free up space again. not ideal.

Doug Miller1

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
there are some other posts on here about compatibility of sd cards on this device. I still can't record video to my card after trying 2 different sandisk 64 gb cards. The videos skip something awful. Music and photos are fine. suggest u search forum for SD card....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb