Checked Out The 822 and HTC 8X In Person Today...

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Are u guys serious about complaining about the screen resolution on the 822? Side by side its BARELY even noticeable. The 822 is thicker and wider and the 8x is taller it definitely made me feel better about getting the 822.

Its not even close the screen resolution is minor but the battery life and removable storage is reason enough to go with the 822

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I saw the 822 in person and was blown away by how much better it looked in person than a picture on the internet. It made my choice of getting it so much easier that and how tall the 8x is.

ironsoulreaver

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
When I looked at the 8x/822 side by side the first thing I noticed was how much better the 822 screen looked. It made the 8x screen look like old outdated technology. The 8x's screen looks darker and the colors were muted. I was a little surprised. The only thing I could think was maybe the brightness on the 8x was turned all the way down. Then I went to an At&t store and saw the same thing happening there with the 820/920/8x.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
The 822's screen definitely doesn't look bad, but when I compared the 8x and the 822 side by side I could definitely see the difference that the higher resolution makes, especially when reading text in the browser.

As for the colors, I guess it's a matter of personal preference but I felt like the 822 was, for for lack of a better word, oversaturated. The colors seemed unnaturally bright, to the point where I was seeing faint blues and greens in pictures where I didn't expect to see them. I preferred the 8X screen, it seemed a bit more realistic to me in terms of color reproduction.

Overall though, I was impressed with the 822 and like many here, I was surprised by how nice it is compared to the pictures. I think I actually like it better than the 920, strange as that may seem. I think I still like the 8x a bit better though, mostly because I'm in love with the design, although I'm leaning towards skipping WP8 altogether until it gets an update.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I've seen people say they can see that the fonts on the 822 aren't really sharp and have jagged edges. REALLY??? lol

They aren't jagged edges, they are softer edges. I can see it, but it doesn't make the text look terrible, the letters are just not quite as sharp. Everything is still quite legible and the sharpness increases as the text size does.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
When I checked them out the 8X's screen was noticeably better, mainly in clarity and brightness, and whites were much better (to be expected in an LCD versus AMOLED). I checked to make sure both were at their brightest, and they were. The 822 was definitely better than I thought it would be, and other than the slightly boring design and the screen it seems to be an excellent phone. The 8X is way too tall for me to even consider.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
The 822 by far has the better looking screen in my opinion! I am also not a big fan of HTC devices and their support for their devices. It seems that the 8X has more complaints in the forums than the 822 does.

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I actually thought they looked about equal. The camera was the one area where the 8x won handily for it's instant focus compared to the 822's super sluggish camera. Other than that the 822 wins out in my book. From the message boards the 822 seems to have the least problems of any of the wp8's! If I was up for a new phone I would get it today!

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm getting the 822 and my only complaint is Verizon messed my order up. They took my money and then canceled my order because some online orders didn't pay the upgrade fee so they cancelled every 822 order. I should have got it Monday now I don't get it until next Monday.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I checked these phones out in the Best Buy mobile in my local mall. Well technically i checked out the 8x dumby phone, but i thought the design of it was incredible! a little awkward to hold but lovely looking device! The 822 blew me away when i saw it! thought it was great looking!

Unfortunately the dumby unit doesnt have a screen and the bestbuy guy pulled an 822 out of the box and didnt turn it on. But lovely phones, im excited for WP8!

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
My wife just got an iPhone 5 and in store I compared the screen to 822. Difference was minimal at best and you had to look really close to see the better font. Overrated issue for my purposes.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
for a UI that heavily geared towards typography, it's pretty much the only thing. But while we're at it an IPS display also displays more natural colors

As long as it is legible, average user doesn't care. For most the higher res display and lack of expandability are not worth $100 more than the 822. If the 8X and 822 were the same price then there'd be a discussion, but the 822 has the same processor, same amount of memory, same amount of internal storage, and is noticeably faster due to the lower resolution. The 820/822 is quicker than the 920 or the 8X and it is the lower amount of power required of the GPU to refresh the display that helps greatly here.

The best display will be the HD AMOLED on the Samsung Odyssey.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I hate to disagree with you peeps but the 822 has an amazing screen. The ppi alone make it beautiful when browsing the web and playing games.

That said I have no issues with the 822 or it's resolution. In fact I love the smaller resolution because all apps work with it. Apparently some of the larger resolution WP's arent backwards compatible because of it OR they get black bars. Plus I just like the wider phone, better battery life, expandable storage... etc. and everything else people are talking about here.

But when it comes to JUST screens... the 8X is much more beautiful!

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
As long as it is legible, average user doesn't care. For most the higher res display and lack of expandability are not worth $100 more than the 822. If the 8X and 822 were the same price then there'd be a discussion, but the 822 has the same processor, same amount of memory, same amount of internal storage, and is noticeably faster due to the lower resolution. The 820/822 is quicker than the 920 or the 8X and it is the lower amount of power required of the GPU to refresh the display that helps greatly here.

The best display will be the HD AMOLED on the Samsung Odyssey.

I really wish people would stop speaking for the mythical average user and drop the "most people think" comments. The only thing about which you can be assured when it comes to the subject of what most people think is that they are not you. You are speaking about what YOU THINK and no one else....

toolage

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
My eyes must be great after my recent LASIK or something, but unfortunately I can tell a pretty significant difference in the displays between the 8X and 822. I had every intention of swapping to the 822 after reading the positive notes on it, but after using the 8X for the last week and then looking at the 822's screen, I can't do it. Performance and Battery life have been great, just worried about storage down the road....

822 appears to be a great device though..makes the decision hard!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb