MicroSD As Removable Drive

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
All of my Windows Mobile phones had the ability to use the MicroSD card as a removable drive (Windows gives it a drive letter).
I have an HTC 8X and am very disappointed that I can't map the internal memory as a removable drive (it mounts under Windows Phone, but no ability to map to the files).
Since the 822 has a MicroSD card, can I mount it as a removable drive, like in the WinMo days?
I'm considering making the 8X / 822 switch, only for the card (I'm really starting to hate the paltry 16GB on the 8X).
JJ

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Yes the 822 can be seen as a flash drive on the computer. I put some music on the sd card of my 822 via drag and drop with the phone hooked to the computer. As was mentioned above the sd card is only for media.

Doug Miller1

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
i am having an issue with 822 with recording videos. One thing i have seen, is that i cannot record videos to the microsd card without it being very bad quality. I have a class 10 card and the video is horrbile. Is anyone else having this problem???

argenys

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
i am having an issue with 822 with recording videos. One thing i have seen, is that i cannot record videos to the microsd card without it being very bad quality. I have a class 10 card and the video is horrbile. Is anyone else having this problem???

I have also run into this issue, class 10 64 GB and the videos turn out extremely bad.

Doug Miller1

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
The other issue is, even when the settings/phone storage is set to record video to phone, it still records to sd card. the only option for recording video is remove the sd card, or under the phone storage options, is to select remove card, and then the phone does not recognize it as being installed. Then you can record to video to phone, with the card still physically in the phone.

SOMEnameItried

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm a little late on this one, and can reproduce it...

Basically you can record to your sd card if you do 720p w/ a more modern microSD card (class 10). It will fail if you attempt with 1080p with the same modern card. The card size I used is 32gb BTW.

I've done these same tests with my older 16gb class 2 card, which is recording both 720p and 1080p the phone records no problem with no crashes.

I've talked to Nokia support about this. We went through about an hour of testing different scenarios.

The reason I went back n forth on this is also related to sync issues. My struggles were this:
  • old class 2 card kept device from connecting
  • new class 10 card connected

So as you can see the phone works for recording with the older class type and fails to connect with the older class type, while the newer card doesn't record high quality format and connects to sync the machine (note, transferring is a different discussion that doesn't work correctly either).

Note... I did try the update (something +touch) that came out today, and there is no change in symptoms.

Hopefully this helps others...

Last edited:

fusioncept

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Slightly off topic, but with regards to the Class 10 SD cards, so would a workaround for 1080p video just be record it onto the phone and just transfer it over to the SD later? Or is there a different way...

SOMEnameItried

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Yea. I've tried what Doug stated, and you can't get around that SD Card. @SomethingSomethingDarkSide, I think you got lucky with your phone. :) I haven't seen many people say it works, so your Lumia is a rare collectors item! hehe.

Grey NK 822

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Same problem here with video quality. I also have a Sandisk class 10 64gb card, but it does not matter if the video is saved to the phone or card. Very choppy playback & skips most of what you record. Does not matter if I record in 720 or 1080. Watch and see if you all are duplicating music, phots & videos as well I have 10+ copies on the same song & pictures showing up. Get up to 3 copies of the videos.

jdefuria

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I think there may be some problems with these phones and the sd slot. Either a bad batch of hardware or the firmware needs some updates. My phone would not recognize any SD card I threw at it. Including a class 10 64 GB and a class 4 16 gb. I'm getting a new phone sent for an exchange. I'll let you like know how it turns out...

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
My phone didn't have any problem with recognizing the card, but today was the first time I've tried video, and I'm not happy with it. First, while in-phone, it seems to know whether the intended view is landscape or portrait (portrait in this case), on the PC, it was sideways. Second, playback in the phone was terrible, but I figured that would be forgiven if it was good in the computer. Well, it was better in the computer, almost skip-free, but it was not skip-free, and I see no excuse for a 720p video to be having skips in it, when it's being played on a computer with an i7, 8GB RAM, a good video card (don't remember off hand what it is).... There's just no excuse.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Does the MicroSD card feature act as a "Removable Drive" in that it functions when you swap in and out different MicroSD cards into the phone? Has anyone tried to insert a MicroSD card that has never been in the phone previously and has photos and music on it. Does the phone "see" the photos and music? Then, has anyone switched the MicroSD card with another one with different photos and music on it? Any problems or thoughts? I will be trying this later this week when my Sandisk 64 GB MicroSD class 10 cards arrive. I haven't been able to find any information regarding the formatting of the card. I'm hoping I will be able to swap the chip between MicroSD card readers and the phone for easier transfering of media files.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Does the MicroSD card feature act as a "Removable Drive" in that it functions when you swap in and out different MicroSD cards into the phone? Has anyone tried to insert a MicroSD card that has never been in the phone previously and has photos and music on it. Does the phone "see" the photos and music? Then, has anyone switched the MicroSD card with another one with different photos and music on it? Any problems or thoughts? I will be trying this later this week when my Sandisk 64 GB MicroSD class 10 cards arrive. I haven't been able to find any information regarding the formatting of the card. I'm hoping I will be able to swap the chip between MicroSD card readers and the phone for easier transfering of media files.
Just an educated guess here, as I have not tried it, but if the card hasn't been in the phone before, and doesn't have the same folder structure, I'm guessing you're not going to see the pictures. Reason being that there is no file explorer in the phone, and since pictures won't be where they're expected to be (Photos (or is it Pictures?) folder), the Pictures Hub won't find them. Of course, the phone could be smart enough to find them anyway, but I wouldn't recommend putting a card in with pictures on it unless you have a backup of the pictures, until you know from testing how it will respond.

RichHowerton

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I tried using a SANDISK 64gb class 10 card, and the video was jumpy and skipping. I switched to a Samsung 32gb class 10 card, and it records video just fine. There must be an issue with these Sandisk 64gb ultra SDXC class 10 cards :(

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720