APN Settings - going mental over here

Charkatak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that a hard reset would work, it didn't for me.
I've been trying to get access to APN settings on this device in so many ways, went as far as hex-edit the rom just to have a look: found the APN settings hardcoded, as well as a couple settings to hide the APN buttons in settings / cellular.

I guess our only options are an updated firmware that unlocks those settings, or the Network Setup app :(

I was able to locate hardcoded settings using hex editor, as well, but couldn't find where the apn setting would be hidden/disabled. Do you know on which line or where I can see it? Thanks

docteurvez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I was able to locate hardcoded settings using hex editor, as well, but couldn't find where the apn setting would be hidden/disabled. Do you know on which line or where I can see it? Thanks

With the tool NaviFirm+, you can download the OS image for the 810. I edited the image and this is what I found :

<Component ComponentName="Cellular Settings UX">
<SettingsGroup>
<Setting Name="HighestSpeed3G" Value="4G"/>
<Setting Name="HideHighestSpeed" Value="1"/>
<Setting Name="HighestSpeed4G" Value="LTE"/>
<Setting Name="HideHighestSpeed4G" Value="1"/>
<Setting Name="HideAPN" Value="1"/>
<Setting Name="HideMMSAPN" Value="1"/>
</SettingsGroup>
</Component>

Also, later in the image, you can find settings that look like Registry entries

<SettingMapping RegName="HideAPN" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideAPN"/>
<SettingMapping RegName="HideCDMAModeSelection" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideCDMAModeSelection"/>
<SettingMapping RegName="HideCDMASelection" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideCDMASelection"/>
<SettingMapping RegName="HideDataMMS" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideDataMMS"/>
<SettingMapping RegName="HideDataRoamMMS" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideDataRoamMMS"/>
<SettingMapping RegName="HideGSMNetworks" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideGSMNetworks"/>
<SettingMapping RegName="HideHighestSpeed" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideHighestSpeed"/>
<SettingMapping RegName="HideHighestSpeed2G" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideHighestSpeed2G"/>
<SettingMapping RegName="HideHighestSpeed4G" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideHighestSpeed4G"/>
<SettingMapping RegName="HideMMSAPN" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideMMSAPN"/>

Maybe with a "rogue" App, we can unset those values "on the fly".

Paul May

Lumia 950 & Surface Pro Champion
Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
For downloading the network setup app. You could try changing your regional settings to US instead of Canada and see if it will allow you to download it. I did this so I could download Nokia reader which is only available in Europe.

docteurvez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
For downloading the network setup app. You could try changing your regional settings to US instead of Canada and see if it will allow you to download it. I did this so I could download Nokia reader which is only available in Europe.

Sadly again, I also tried this option; when I click on "more info" on the reason why I can't download it, one of the reason is "...the app is exclusive to a different mobile provider..."
Even if I'm using my 810 on the Videotron network, inside the phone it's still written "T-Mobile" as the official operator.

Screwed big time you said ? Yep...

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Sadly again, I also tried this option; when I click on "more info" on the reason why I can't download it, one of the reason is "...the app is exclusive to a different mobile provider..."
Even if I'm using my 810 on the Videotron network, inside the phone it's still written "T-Mobile" as the official operator.

Screwed big time you said ? Yep...

The network setup app is currently not available for WP8. What you can try if you haven't yet is keeping your carrier SIM inserted, reset the phone and let it go through the initial setup. I am not sure whether it will let you edit the phone APN settings after that. After I reset my Lumia 900 tied to AT&T and inserted my T-Mobile SIM, the network setup app popped up as if it was already installed but hidden. Try it if you can afford to reset it...

I am actually in the same boat as you are since I have an international trip coming in the next 2 months...if I can't get this piece unlocked then I will have to sell it off and will get an unlocked WP8, mostly the 8X coz that's the only one which will work with the 1700MHz freq

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
With the tool NaviFirm+, you can download the OS image for the 810. I edited the image and this is what I found :

<SettingsGroup>
</SettingsGroup>
</Component>

<SettingMapping RegName="HideAPN" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideAPN"/>
<SettingMapping RegName="HideCDMAModeSelection" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideCDMAModeSelection"/>
<SettingMapping RegName="HideCDMASelection" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideCDMASelection"/>
<SettingMapping RegName="HideDataMMS" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideDataMMS"/>
<SettingMapping RegName="HideDataRoamMMS" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideDataRoamMMS"/>
<SettingMapping RegName="HideGSMNetworks" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideGSMNetworks"/>
<SettingMapping RegName="HideHighestSpeed" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideHighestSpeed"/>
<SettingMapping RegName="HideHighestSpeed2G" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideHighestSpeed2G"/>
<SettingMapping RegName="HideHighestSpeed4G" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideHighestSpeed4G"/>
<SettingMapping RegName="HideMMSAPN" RegType="REG_DWORD" RegKeyName="$(hklm.software)\Microsoft\Connectivity\CellUXOEMConfigurable" Name="HideMMSAPN"/>

I am not sure if a .reg file can be used to change these values since I know that Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 share the same folder structure. Just run the .reg file and the phone settings change.

Can anyone try this out? Or atleast create a .reg file?

docteurvez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
The network setup app is currently not available for WP8. What you can try if you haven't yet is keeping your carrier SIM inserted, reset the phone and let it go through the initial setup. I am not sure whether it will let you edit the phone APN settings after that. After I reset my Lumia 900 tied to AT&T and inserted my T-Mobile SIM, the network setup app popped up as if it was already installed but hidden. Try it if you can afford to reset it...

I am actually in the same boat as you are since I have an international trip coming in the next 2 months...if I can't get this piece unlocked then I will have to sell it off and will get an unlocked WP8, mostly the 8X coz that's the only one which will work with the 1700MHz freq

If this app is compiled as a WP7 executable, that would explain; but looking at the way T-Mo is trying to tied their customers... ;)

Just a warning for the HTC 8X, it's only the LTE band that is 1700, not the 3.5G as T-Mo, Wind and Videotron, look at the spec : HTC Windows Phone 8X - Full phone specifications

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
If this app is compiled as a WP7 executable, that would explain; but looking at the way T-Mo is trying to tied their customers... ;)

Just a warning for the HTC 8X, it's only the LTE band that is 1700, not the 3.5G as T-Mo, Wind and Videotron, look at the spec : HTC Windows Phone 8X - Full phone specifications

8X is currently available for T-Mobile so will get that one...also I think T-Mobile is not as bad as AT&T, atleast they give out the unlock codes.

docteurvez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure if a .reg file can be used to change these values since I know that Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 share the same folder structure. Just run the .reg file and the phone settings change.

Can anyone try this out? Or atleast create a .reg file?

I just did, but WP8 told me "there is no application associated with this file type."; there is probably no regedit app with WP8.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
You're right, I maybe just a bit angry (my French/Latin side...). ;)

Well even I am going to angry in the next 2 months if this issue still persists, BTW I emailed Jay Bennett, the WPCentral App Developer to check if he knows whether .reg files work on WP8 to toggle/update registry entries, I hope I get a positive reply...or atleast a reply :winktongue:

docteurvez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Well even I am going to angry in the next 2 months if this issue still persists, BTW I emailed Jay Bennett, the WPCentral App Developer to check if he knows whether .reg files work on WP8 to toggle/update registry entries, I hope I get a positive reply...or atleast a reply :winktongue:

That's cool, because my last hope would be to code a C++/C# app to get to this registry settings via the Win32 API available in the new WP8 SDK.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
All these talks of lawsuits are silly... Seriously, you bought a T-Mobile device and now you are complaining that T-Mobile won't let you take it to another carrier? I took my 810 to Solavei and have had everything work perfectly out of the box except for sending MMS messages... I can live with that for a few months until the exclusive period is over and they start allowing people to use them where ever. It bugs me a lot when people say you should be able to use a phone designed for a carrier on another network - even when purchased outright from the carrier. You bought a phone in a T-Mobile box for the T-Mobile network... Return it, get your refund and move along. You should have asked about using the device on other networks before you bought it. It's not like the Lumia 900 that is still locked to AT&T if you don't have an account with them... That's just wrong...

Charkatak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
Great! Thanks! Have you checked firmware form Lumia 820 (RM-825) I am about to check this product code 059Q961 which is CV RU. I am sure that these firmware files are from an unlocked phone. I would like to try and compare the anp settings with 810 and then may be it would be possible to just copy all the strings.... Before I had a nokia firmware cooker for *rofs files when they had symbian.
By the way, have you thought about flashing 820 firmware onto 810? There are couple of differences, that I can think of: front facing camera is 720p on 810 and VGA on 820. Also the antennas, but don't really think it would make a difference. I have flashed Lumia 710 which was t-mobile branded with unbranded 710. They had slightly different antenna bands and different RM-Types, but still it worked great and I do have that phone still.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
All these talks of lawsuits are silly... Seriously, you bought a T-Mobile device and now you are complaining that T-Mobile won't let you take it to another carrier? I took my 810 to Solavei and have had everything work perfectly out of the box except for sending MMS messages... I can live with that for a few months until the exclusive period is over and they start allowing people to use them where ever. It bugs me a lot when people say you should be able to use a phone designed for a carrier on another network - even when purchased outright from the carrier. You bought a phone in a T-Mobile box for the T-Mobile network... Return it, get your refund and move along. You should have asked about using the device on other networks before you bought it. It's not like the Lumia 900 that is still locked to AT&T if you don't have an account with them... That's just wrong...

I am not sure why are you advertising this Solavei all over the forum...

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I am not sure why are you advertising this Solavei all over the forum...
It's a personal referral link afaik. Since it looks like this company has some sort of referral share bonus thing or network that pays the more people that sign up, that's the reason - notice it's not just a link to the main website, but a link tagged with a referral code. Supposedly they pay you $20 for every three you sign up under you or your own referrals.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
Correct... I'm offering a service that works almost perfectly with the 810 out of the box, rather than telling everyone about the ones that don't - and threatening a class action suit... The biggest complaint that I have seen with the 810 so far is that the APN's aren't able to be edited - this is an MVNO solution that doesn't require it. Seems pretty relevant to the posts that I offered it in to me... I should have probably included the "Shameless Plug Disclaimer" though...

Anyway, sorry if it offended any, but I just wanted to let people know that it works ok on that service.

Charkatak

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site

<SettingsGroup>
</SettingsGroup>
</Component>

I just talked to T-Mobile Rep and requested an unlock code. While at that I mentioned the missing "add apn" option and some other things. So he said he will bring it up to his manager in the upcoming meeting(should be today) and see if they will be able to talk to nokia and enable that option. I really hope that it will go through and we will see a small OTA update for the network/apn!

docteurvez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I just talked to T-Mobile Rep and requested an unlock code. While at that I mentioned the missing "add apn" option and some other things. So he said he will bring it up to his manager in the upcoming meeting(should be today) and see if they will be able to talk to nokia and enable that option. I really hope that it will go through and we will see a small OTA update for the network/apn!

All fingers crossed ! Let's hope T-Mobile will see the light about this. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb