Just wanted to give the 822 some love!

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Had the phone for a week and a half now, just wanted to give it some props now that I have had some time to really sit down with it. Really only had one major issue with it and it's losing data connection when it says I have full LTE. A restart ususally fixes it and it happens about once a week so not too bad.

Just loving the phone, the apps I have, how easy email is, the browser, data sense... you know. I actually considered trading the phone in for the 8X because of the data issue but I just love the 822 too much. Is it weird to "love" a phone? Seriously though, it's fantastic!

Lets hear it for the 822!!!

What all do you people like about it?

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I've also had mine for a week now, and still love everything about it. My 822 is encased in the Otterbox which really makes it large, but I also wear a rather large G-Shock watch because I play hard, so the 822 in it's Otterbox looks awesome. The Otterbox also prevents accidental pressing of the buttons, particularly the camera button.

I've rearranged the tiles about a half dozen times so far, and toyed with several different themes, but the cobalt blue looks the best.

Battery life is about the same as my Trophy was, so nothing spectacular there.....it's down to about 70% of moderate use after about 10 hours. I just give it a quick charge and it's good for the rest of the day.

Sound quality on calls and for music really is fantastic.

My wife and daughter are now seriously considering a change from their iPhones when their contracts are up.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
I love mine so far it has been almost flawless in performance. I think Nokia has a winner with the new Lumia series of devices.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Came from the Trophy and the 822 is a significant step up. Super fast. The programs that were slow on my Trophy, like Sky Wallet, are so fast now. Screen is beautiful and I like that it dims down a lot lower than the Trophy. Battery life is much better than my Trophy, which means a whole day without charging. Feels good and yes, I think I'm in love.

Covfam

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
ive had some issues here and there but most are minor software issues, mostly wish some of the developers werent so lazy, for example the "new for windows phone 8" kindle reader app is missing 3/4ths of the ios and android app features, the slacker app, is missing most of the features of the android & ios app, basicly only playing the preset channels, not make your own channels or playlists and its unstable. plus id like it if they sped up the camera from the button push, it feels like i have to hold it forever compared to my other smartphones... but i will say it does take a better picture than any of my previous phones! i love the tile system and nokia's map & drive, its no navigon but again i aint paying for it!

marantaz

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
OK, before my new 822 get activated, I have some questions...

I've noticed everyone using a Nokia phones is commenting on some music app, like XBox Music or Slacker etc., not working or not being available... is anyone using Nokia Music? If not, why not? I thought it'd be great to have free music, especially since Zune is no more on WP8. What's up with that?

If any of you came from WP7 (I'm sure most of you did), how'd the transfer of your data (contacts, mail, and all that) work for you? Any suggestions on the best way to get that done, or is it so simple it's not a concern?

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
Had a 822. Returned it. Missed it. Now going to get another one. Actually 5. One for me, my better half, my nephew, and my parents. I figure it's the perfect fit for my parents since it's their first smartphones.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site

I've noticed everyone using a Nokia phones is commenting on some music app, like XBox Music or Slacker etc., not working or not being available... is anyone using Nokia Music? If not, why not? I thought it'd be great to have free music, especially since Zune is no more on WP8. What's up with that?

If any of you came from WP7 (I'm sure most of you did), how'd the transfer of your data (contacts, mail, and all that) work for you? Any suggestions on the best way to get that done, or is it so simple it's not a concern?
Transferring contacts is really simple. Verizon can do this for you, or you can back them up to your live id.

marantaz

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
GRRRRR! on that $100 gift card! I ordered before they offered that, and since the phone is already free, it'd be tacky of me to ask them to give me a gift card now! oh well...

db4williams

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site

My daughter and I have been using the Nokia Music service. I find it quite similar in use to Pandora. I will say that it is extremely responsive. For example, when you want to skip to the next song, it is near instant. No lag or buffering at all. Quite surprising really that it is that quick. Plus 0 ads is really cool. There is still a limit to how many songs you can skip an hour, but this is a minor issue. Overall I think I like it better than Pandora.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site

Music works. If you have a subscription to XBox Music, you can download just like you did with WP7. You can put your music on your phone with the Windows Phone software or just drag and drop. If you drag and drop, you probably will not get all the art that goes with the music. Some people have commented about playlist issues, but I don't use them much so I can't. You can use Nokia Music and it works fine as a Pandora substitute.

Contacts, email, etc will need to be set up. If you are using Google or Outlook.com or Hotmail, etc, you will just sign in to your account and you will have your contacts/mail.

frail47

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Mine has some quirks and annoyances but WP8 is a breath of fresh air after using iOS and Android for so long. It's a keeper.

Covfam

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
im currently using nukia music, and certain channels are fine, but some are not populated well, for example my wifes 90's country station is great but my 80's hair metal station spends more than half the time playing obscure 60's hippy rock. but my 90's metal station does just fine and so does the grunge station. but the arena rock (70's hard rock) consistantly plays the beetles, cream,elvis) instead of yes,toto,rush,deep purple,reo speedwagon. as for stability i find it is smoother and loads faster than the xboxlive music on my 822, and since ive had 4 crashes with it ive not had much chance to test the stations. my wife and i love slacker on our adnroid and ios devices and have a premium account. but the windows phone 8 version of slacker is locked into free mode and is missing all the premium features and some of the free features from the other Operating systems. and ive had it crash twice in 4 days. and i have 984 songs atm on itunes from over the year's and after installing the windows phone app on my pc and plugged my phone it i was able to easily sync all my music and playlists onto the 32gig micro sd card i put in my phone easy. i use the nokia music app to play my itunes library as well since for me its the most stable of the music apps at the moment.

as for transfering my contacts? they moved over smoothly all i did was link my gmail and my hotmail accounts and used the build in contract transfer tool and it automaticly set mine. but i dont have tons so it wasnt too hard.

marantaz

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Mine is active, and it's cooooool! Contacts came over with the Microsoft ID, so that was as many of you said, not a worry at all. And thanks for the info on the music, too. I also think I'm in love with this phone! It's smooth inside and out, can't wait to show it to the wife! Going to give the Trophy to my son, and see what that 7.8 looks like, if it works on the Trophy. And all those Nokia apps! Wow! I'm very impressed!

StillCrazy

Jan 28, 2006
Visit site

Nokia Music works Ok but I'm not really thrilled with their mixes. I have a 50gigs of music on a 64 gig card and use xbox music to smart dj that . Also have a Xbox music subscription so I can do downloads and mix stuff from the store into smart mix . I have been very happy with that usage.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
My daughter and I have been using the Nokia Music service. I find it quite similar in use to Pandora. I will say that it is extremely responsive. For example, when you want to skip to the next song, it is near instant. No lag or buffering at all. Quite surprising really that it is that quick. Plus 0 ads is really cool. There is still a limit to how many songs you can skip an hour, but this is a minor issue. Overall I think I like it better than Pandora.

Thats good to hear, i will have to check that out later.

marantaz

Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
More love for the 822! The screen is so sensitive set at max! Everything just flows! I thought I'd try reducing it, but that wasn't good enough, so it's back to max. Coming from a Trophy, which I had no trouble with, this is definitely a step or two up! I have no trouble with the screen res, the colors are great, the text is fine ( without my glasses, I'm practically blind to any text more than an arms length away! ). The phone size is just right, not to big, not too small. No regrets about this, I was leaning hard on getting the 8X. The Nokia apps are awesome, too!

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site

Nokia music is really good. I dismissed it as a stupid freebie expecting to hear one hit song and a bunch of garbage. I couldn't have been more wrong, it's actually outstanding. You can create your own mixes and save some of the existing mixes for offline play.

I'm actually wondering how they do this for free, it must be costing them something, but screw it, it's free to me :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05