Should I Be Concerned About The 810's Memory?

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm with T-mobile, so my only options are the 8X and the 810. Both great phones, but each has its limitations. I keep going back and forth on which one - if any - I will get when my contract is up on Dec 15th.

I was set to get the 810 until I realized that less than 8GB is all the memory that will be available for apps. I know you can expand with an SD card, which is great, but you can't load apps on the card. I don't have a ton of apps, but I'm concerned that less than 8GB will be enough.

I'm coming from the 16GB HD7, which seems to be plenty, and I know that the 8X has 16GB, but I can't get over the narrow screen. I just feel like it's a step backwards.

Any thoughts? Anyone have the 810 and can comment on app space?

I'm starting to think that I might sit this round out and wait to see what comes next...

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have the 810, love it - have no problem with app space. But, you should let us know - how many apps and games do you have? While most apps seem pretty small, some of the games can top 100+ MB. If you have 40+ games and download every game in sight, this is not the phone for you. For me, I like to keep about 30 GB of my music collection on the phone, so it is perfect for me. So again, how much storage have you currently used on your HD7?

Yakko Warner

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I have it, and to be honest, I'm a little concerned. But I am coming from an HD7, and I was bumping up against the 16GB limit constantly -- and there's no way to add storage to that one. My music collection did eat up about half of that, which is why I took great interest in the 810's SD slot. (Why they don't include this on the 8X or 920, I don't understand. Maybe if they had better support for uploading your music and playing it from the cloud without having to re-purchase everything in Xbox Music....)

I've had the 810 just over a week now, and I'm down to 350MB free, and that's with not putting any music or videos on it yet (SD card is shipping).

Now, I'm one of those guys who likes to download a bunch of apps and games (games can be pretty hefty, like kbagrows said above), so I'm well aware that's my own fault. If I was better at playing the games that I have, or deleting games that I've "finished" and move on instead of keeping it installed "just in case I want to play it later", I'd be more comfortable. :wink:

AlexRodriguezNY

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I have it, and to be honest, I'm a little concerned. But I am coming from an HD7, and I was bumping up against the 16GB limit constantly -- and there's no way to add storage to that one. My music collection did eat up about half of that, which is why I took great interest in the 810's SD slot. (Why they don't include this on the 8X or 920, I don't understand. Maybe if they had better support for uploading your music and playing it from the cloud without having to re-purchase everything in Xbox Music....)

I've had the 810 just over a week now, and I'm down to 350MB free, and that's with not putting any music or videos on it yet (SD card is shipping).

Now, I'm one of those guys who likes to download a bunch of apps and games (games can be pretty hefty, like kbagrows said above), so I'm well aware that's my own fault. If I was better at playing the games that I have, or deleting games that I've "finished" and move on instead of keeping it installed "just in case I want to play it later", I'd be more comfortable. :wink:
There is a way to add memory to the HTC HD7 , it voids the warranty but is possible to replace the card that it comes with with one with more storage.You just have to google it. By the way the HD7 is the windows phone with more custom roms so far.It's is the Rom creators delight 😉

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I have the 810, love it - have no problem with app space. But, you should let us know - how many apps and games do you have? While most apps seem pretty small, some of the games can top 100+ MB. If you have 40+ games and download every game in sight, this is not the phone for you. For me, I like to keep about 30 GB of my music collection on the phone, so it is perfect for me. So again, how much storage have you currently used on your HD7?

I'm probably like most people -- I happily download apps and games up to the limit of my current memory capacity and then start deleting those that I don't really use. I think I currently have around 10GB of apps/games on my HD7, but I'm sure I could weed out quite a few that I don't use.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I think I'm swinging back toward the 810 again.

steve_w_7

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
There is a way to add memory to the HTC HD7 , it voids the warranty but is possible to replace the card that it comes with with one with more storage.You just have to google it. By the way the HD7 is the windows phone with more custom roms so far.It's is the Rom creators delight 

Do you think this would eventually be an option for the 810?

Kormiko

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm a little concerned myself now. So much so that to test it out... I removed my 16 GB micro SD card from my Focus and re-installed my most used apps/games onto its main 8 GB of storage (actually 7.39 GB, and a little over 7 GB usable). After I installed my apps/games, I found I had a little under 3 GB remaining. It's not great, but I can manage with that if I have a separate card for music/pics/videos.

But on a Lumia 810 unboxing video... it shows the total storage having 7.41 GB with a little over 5 GB being available for the user. Why do these Nokia and/or T-Mobile apps use 2.4 GB of storage? I imagine I can uninstall some of the T-Mobile ones I don't need, but what uses that much data? Does Nokia install some Maps automatically? Instead of having 3GB to play with, I would have less than 1GB... and that doesn't include my email, any ringtones, or space for internet browsing cache. Could it be the Voice Nav?

It kinda sucks that the 822 has 16 GB, while the 810 and 820 have only 8 GB. 16 GB is fine with the additional SD card slot.

scrannel

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm lurking here as considering the 810. But a question, can you "move" or install the apps to the SD card the way you can with Android? Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo