Using Nokia Lumia 810 on another carrier

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to try and use the Nokia 810 on another carrier. I heard T-mobile is potentially giving out the unlock dodes.
I need some opinions.....

If i stick with T-mobile based carriers i am going to try
1. Simple Mobile(40 bucks is half of what i am paying with t-mobile)
2. Straight Talk
3. T-mobile Prepaid(50 dollar plan)

If I can get the the unlock code, I am going to try
1. Straighttalk(Att sim)
2. H20
3. Red pocket

my questions are
1. Idk if any of these companies are good or not. Any info on them?
2. If I can get the Unlock code, how do i unlock the phone to use on a NON-T-mobile Sim? Are there any settings i need to change and if so how?

scrannel

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
If you are a T-Mo customer, my experience is they will give you the unlock code... theoretically after being a customer for a given, not sure what, period of time. You will get instructions on entering the code, but basically, the first time you try another SIM it will ask for the code. I do not know these other services, but you can see if they have forums etc. that should let you know if customers are happy. BUT... do they match the frequency of the T-Mo phones? I know that Rogers of Canada and Cincinnati Bell do, but I presume these other services are "piggy-backing" off larger carriers? For instance, if one of them uses an ATT Sim, I would assume it would require ATT frequencies for data. You should get 2G and regular GSM no matter. Make sure.

gasanpride

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the 810 yet, but there were reports that yes you can unlock it and would be able to insert another carrier's sim. But you won't be able to enter the other carrier's APN. They reported the field is grayed out or disabled. So you will be limited to phone only but no data using the network.
But I'd think that should be automatic. Once you insert a foreign sim and you have a data plan on that carrier, phone should right away recognized that you have a data plan on it.

GNCSA

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I can confirm that unless you receive the APN settings OTA, you will not be able to access them from the phone. They are not available at all.

I am having this problem right now, so I will be returning the phone once I get back to the USA.

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I would go with simple mobile. or one of Tmobile's value plans if you already have the phone. My gf has simple mobile and pays 40. that's it. No taxes or fees on top of that. She's really content with the service. The first 250mb are 4g and anything after that is unlimited 3g. You get the same great Tmobile service at a cheaper price. Simple mobile also has unlimited 4g at 50 bucks a year now too.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Dude that is ridiculous. It looks like I may have to drop Windows Phone, as I was going to buy an 810 for $200 bucks from someone. Now that I know I can't use Straight Talk with internet on it, it looks like I'll stick with my 900. This, along with no solution to using NFC with prepaid carriers, is making me not even take a 2nd look at Windows Phone 8. I should NOT be forced into a signing a contract with a carrier to use all the features of the phone...NOW...if I already have internet on my phone with my 900 and simply want to insert my SIM into the 810 (after getting the unlock code) and it just WORKS then fine. But how would you be able to enter the MMS APN?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Dude that is ridiculous. It looks like I may have to drop Windows Phone, as I was going to buy an 810 for $200 bucks from someone. Now that I know I can't use Straight Talk with internet on it, it looks like I'll stick with my 900. This, along with no solution to using NFC with prepaid carriers, is making me not even take a 2nd look at Windows Phone 8. I should NOT be forced into a signing a contract with a carrier to use all the features of the phone...NOW...if I already have internet on my phone with my 900 and simply want to insert my SIM into the 810 (after getting the unlock code) and it just WORKS then fine. But how would you be able to enter the MMS APN?

Well if you really want a WP8 that is unlocked for cheap then better buy the 8X from TMobile or Verizon (this is a bit tricky), 8X can be unlocked and the APN can be changed, though the Verizon version comes unlocked dont know if Verizon will patch the APN settings in another OTA update.

Dr. Impossible

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I think it's important to reiterate that according to an article I read this week, TMo will be going all prepaid/month2month next year. Idk if that helps or not, made me raise a curious eyebrow tho.

Thanks

-Doc

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to try and use the Nokia 810 on another carrier. I heard T-mobile is potentially giving out the unlock dodes.
I need some opinions.....

If i stick with T-mobile based carriers i am going to try
1. Simple Mobile(40 bucks is half of what i am paying with t-mobile)
2. Straight Talk
3. T-mobile Prepaid(50 dollar plan)

If I can get the the unlock code, I am going to try
1. Straighttalk(Att sim)
2. H20
3. Red pocket

my questions are
1. Idk if any of these companies are good or not. Any info on them?
2. If I can get the Unlock code, how do i unlock the phone to use on a NON-T-mobile Sim? Are there any settings i need to change and if so how?

BTW Nokia has released the Access Point app which will now let you edit your APNs and use it on other carriers....

harry911us

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Same APN setting problem with me, I just buy Nokia Lumia 810 T-mobile (US) and unlock code both from Ebay and using on WIND/Mobilicity (Canadian AWS Carriers) it works great but cannot access my network data, because there is no APN editing setting like on my HTC hd7, :cry:

AUCLABruin

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
T-Mobile has a $30 plan for 5 GB's. The catch is only 100 minutes. So if you don't talk a lot on the phone, you can buy the 810 and just pop in a prepaid SIM for a really low price each month.

AUCLABruin

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

Is Straight Talk the only option to consider? The 810 should get full internet access with Simple Mobile- a T-Mobile MVNO. And at $40 for all unlimited (with a soft cap of 250 MB of 4G data) it isn't too bad. But if you want data, and don't talk too much, you can get the $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan I recommended to the author of this thread.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Same APN setting problem with me, I just buy Nokia Lumia 810 T-mobile (US) and unlock code both from Ebay and using on WIND/Mobilicity (Canadian AWS Carriers) it works great but cannot access my network data, because there is no APN editing setting like on my HTC hd7, :cry:
Just download the Nokia Access Point app. If you can't find it, someone in another thread posted a way to download by way of QR code:

Here and here you can find a list of standard apps. Search for "access points" app, scan the code, download and install the app. From then you should have a proper option in the Settings.

kelistanoto

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the QR code hyperlink. I tried another from another forum but it apparently wasn't right because it kept saying QR doesn't exist. But this worked great! Now t-mo cant keep me tied down to an expensive contract with no more upgrades!!! Your awesome!!! Many thanks again. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans