Battery Dead after 1 year

p.jgordon

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
My battery life has deteriorated drastically for the past few days. My phone charges fine but after a couple of minutes of running apps the phone simply dies. I turn it back on to see that the battery has been drained. I plug the phone back in to see the battery % jump back up to the mid 50s. This is very strange behavior and I was wondering if anyone has been experiencing the same issue.

I already ordered a replacement battery from ATT in hopes that it fixes my problem.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
My battery has it day's has well, past two days battery below 50% after 7 hours of music, nothing else, cellular data turned off, no apps running in background..Two days before that it was 75% after 7 hours of music.

I did notice that "Find my phone" was saying it was disconnected, even though I setup it a long time ago.

Do you have very many apps running in background, did you upgrade to Tango/Firmware a couple of months ago..?

Have you tried draining battery till it dies and then let it fully recharge, how many hours does it say after a full charge that you have left estimated of course?

How long have you had your phone. Maybe time for replacement battery if over a year and you use phone heavily.

p.jgordon

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I turned off all my background tasks about two weeks ago when I started noticing this behavior but it has had minimal impact on the battery life.

I'm currently running 8107.79, havent updated to the latest Tango because I have no computer to do it at.

Right now I am carrying around my charger cable with me at all times to charge my phone back to life whenever it dies on me. The most common scenario is when I am either on internet explorer or playing a game and I get an incoming call.

I am patiently waiting for ATT to send me a replacement battery. It just seems odd that the battery would go bad after a little bit over a year of usage.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I turned off all my background tasks about two weeks ago when I started noticing this behavior

It just seems odd that the battery would go bad after a little bit over a year of usage.

Where u charging the battery every day or more. It is older than a year. Are u a heavy user do alot with it. It could be that you have used it so much. That the battery is at its eol.

p.jgordon

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Yea charging the battery every day. My laptop died about three months ago and I've relied on my phone for pretty much everything. I didn't know batteries lasted that little time...

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
sucks laptop died , so using your phone has main tool.

From what I understand our Batteries should last about 1 1/2 years then start having problems. it depends on usage and after so many charges the battery start to lose how much it can hold. etc..

I would ask when was last time you hard reset your phone, but, since your laptop died, you do not have a zune backup to restore from in case something goes wrong..If new battery does not help, then could be something else. perhaps contact Samsung or AT&T if still under contract if new battery does not help.

You could check the battery itself through diag if want to know let me know I will give you diag codes to get to those screen?

p.jgordon

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
UPDATE: Everything is back to normal after using the new battery. Getting around 15+hours of usage.

In conclusion: don't expect batteries to last over a year.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It is better to frequently charge the battery, even if it is partially discharged. Completely draining lithium batteries will kill them faster than frequent partial discharges.
Similar to a mechanical device that wears out faster with heavy use, so also does the depth of discharge (DoD) determine the cycle count. The shorter the discharge (low DoD), the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid full discharges and charge the battery more often between uses. Partial discharge on Li-ion is fine; there is no memory and the battery does not need periodic full discharge cycles to prolong life, other than to calibrate the fuel gauge on a smart battery once in a while.
Source: How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

LAPSrj

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I had this problem too and my phone is almost 1 year old. With my normal use the battery used to last util 8pm, but 2 or 3 months ago it started to die in the afternoon(I don't know if it's related to a battery problem or if it was because I moved to a 3G+(4G in USA) plan). In November the battery was dying around midday and I realize it began to inflate, also it sometimes went from 70% to 0 in seconds. The solution was get a new battery, now I have a day of battery again.

So, i think that if you are a regular smartphone user the battery will last a year.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6