Still trying to decide between the 8X and 810

jodahav

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
You folks who already have the L810 can really help me out here. Is the internal memory thing overblown, or are you filling up your phones pretty quickly? I've been to T-Mobile Stores and like the look and feel of each device. I'm leaning towards the L810, but if I'm going to be running up against my memory limit all the time... that's going to be a deal breaker.

Does Bing maps offer turn by turn navigation, or is Nokia Drive the only turn by turn navigation in Windows Phone?

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
The expandable memory thing is overblown ONLY if you don't use it. I have a 32GB card completely filled with music (read: "I've used up so much of the space that I couldn't add so much as a 10 second audio clip".) So, I intend to get a 64GB card ASAP. However, if you don't think you will desire that much data (music, videos, etc.) with you all the time then perhaps the 8X would be a better choice. The reason it's great that we have two options (yes, more would be better) is that we can each find what would work best for our needs. While 810 has expandable memory, 8X has its own advantages. Decide what you will use the device for, then determine which device fits your uses best. How can a forum decide for you?

Kebero

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Nokia Drive is the only solution that is free and pre-packaged. You can purchase other solutions, such as Navigon, from the Marketplace. The best way to decide which device is best would be to enumerate what you want/need from a device, then see which device is the better fit.

beej

May 5, 2011
Visit site
If I were staying on t-mobile, I'd most certainly go with the 8X. I really did like that phone, the screen is great, and if I remember correctly, the capacitive buttons at the bottom are further away from the screen, which should help to avoid more accidental button presses.

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Is the internal memory thing overblown, or are you filling up your phones pretty quickly?

I think it all depends on the person. From what I understand, the people with 30+ games are having problems. I've got quite a few apps on the phone, but most of them are 1-10 MB, and don't take up make space at all. Now, if you really love games, and love having 30+ games always loaded on your phone, then you're going to need that extra 8 GB of memory.

For me, I prefer having the option of an SD card to store music and movies. So, it really does depend on your preferences. What do you foresee putting on the phone? Give us a clue, and we could probably provide some better advice.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same boat in regards to the 8X vs the 810. Every time I pick up an 8X it feels really nice in my hand and I think that this is the one for me.

However, the Nokia exclusive apps and Nokia's support make me think otherwise and tell me to stay with a Nokia product.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Expandable memory on the 810 is great. I have a few photos and currently 790 songs on my card and still have more than 24GB of free storage. Nokia is awesome, too. You get plenty of support with the 810 that you won't get from HTC with an 8X.

89caps

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
If you read this site and are pissed everytime you see a great Nokia exclusive app that you cannot have, then go with the Nokia. There are certainly advantages of both, but Nokia seems to be on top of supporting their devices.

jodahav

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
For me, I prefer having the option of an SD card to store music and movies. So, it really does depend on your preferences. What do you foresee putting on the phone? Give us a clue, and we could probably provide some better advice.

I don't really have a lot of games. I do take a lot of pictures of my kids- which are great to store on a card or in the cloud. I just have kind of normal apps (or at least I think so) like ESPN, Scorecenter, a generic weather app, kindle, and maybe a couple of games. Sounds like the 8GB will probably work for me, and I would hate to lose out on all the Nokia exclusives.

If T-Mobile would have scored the red 8X, I probably wouldn't have been able to help myself. I just hope Nokia can keep afloat so you/(probably me) can continue to receive the incredible device support...
Thanks everyone

kbagrows

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, for your situation, a microSD would definitely do it. Sounds like we have the same apps - ESPN, weather, Kindle, etc. Frankly, I REALLY like the Nokia exclusive apps. Despite its bad reviews, I've found Nokia Maps to be fantastic, as is Nokia Drive.

I too take a lot of pics of the kids ...... and both phones will have plenty of memory to handle pics.

For me it came down to Nokia exclusive apps vs. form factor vs. camera. I actually went to an AT&T store and shot a ton of pics with the 820, 8x, and 920 ...... maybe my eyesight is getting bad, but I had a hard time differentiating between any of them - they all looked great. Did the same with the 810 and 8x at a T-mobile store.

Regarding form factor, I'm an attorney - I can't see pulling out a blue/purple phone in court. Black is just more professional - I can't believe the 8x wasn't also released in black on TMo. Oh well, the form factor and exclusive apps did it for me. But, both phones are awesome - this is a great problem to have, two great WP8 phones to choose from!

Raylz

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes, for your situation, a microSD would definitely do it. Sounds like we have the same apps - ESPN, weather, Kindle, etc. Frankly, I REALLY like the Nokia exclusive apps. Despite its bad reviews, I've found Nokia Maps to be fantastic, as is Nokia Drive.

I too take a lot of pics of the kids ...... and both phones will have plenty of memory to handle pics.

For me it came down to Nokia exclusive apps vs. form factor vs. camera. I actually went to an AT&T store and shot a ton of pics with the 820, 8x, and 920 ...... maybe my eyesight is getting bad, but I had a hard time differentiating between any of them - they all looked great. Did the same with the 810 and 8x at a T-mobile store.

Regarding form factor, I'm an attorney - I can't see pulling out a blue/purple phone in court. Black is just more professional - I can't believe the 8x wasn't also released in black on TMo. Oh well, the form factor and exclusive apps did it for me. But, both phones are awesome - this is a great problem to have, two great WP8 phones to choose from!
red and black was snagged by Verizon so blame them for the 8x

Dr. Impossible

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Like kbagrows said, having a difficult choice is a great thing to have. I feel your pain, as I was convinced I'd be getting an unlocked Limelight 8X which then turned into being sure the 810 was my horse and now I'm figuring that if I'm going to spend the money, might as well get a 920 and pissed it's out of stock and pissed it's out of stock in yellow everywhere and pissed....

Thanks

-Doc

scrannel

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Remember, though both phones can be SIM unlocked, the 810's APNs are locked and cannot be changed. So if running a different carrier's SIM is important (like when you travel overseas) with the 810 you would only be able to text and talk.

sixsevenco

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I am lucky enough to own both. (got the 810 with my subsidy and the 8x free from HTC). I love the feel of the 8x. I feels awesome. I have a discerning eye, and don't see a noticeable difference between resolutions of the phones. Everything looks smooth and crisp. While I want the 8x, I am probably going to stick with the 810 for the apps.

xilammalix

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

xilammalix

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

I feel you on the color. I'm a sales rep at T-Mobile and found out that Verizon bought the rights to the red and black (the color I wanted). HHowever, I've played with both and the 8X is more elegant, smoother, lighter and built better. I got the 810 for a day, did a master reset and bricked it. That kind of set me off on the 810. Im still looking for a solution to get it to un-brick.

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the 8X before returning it and going with the 810.

8X:

Pros:

Great feel and great look. I got a ton of compliments about the way it looked. Screen was fantastic and it fits great in the hand. A wee bit lighter than the 810.

Cons:

The corners got discolored (there's a thread about this) and my battery was absolutely horrible (there's another thread about this. However, this issue seems to have been fixed with the Portico update). The phone itself doesn't seem to be as well built as it looks like it should be. Light bleeding out from the bottom and it seems to be slightly flimsy.

Lumia 810:

Pros: Screen is also good (not as good as the 8x but just by a hair...). The "inky black" look is actually pretty cool and I seem to notice a cool effect with text when swiping (it seems to fade a bit differently...can't explain it haha). The battery is AMAZING on it and I really hope the Portico update improves it. The Nokia exclusive apps are pretty cool even if a couple of them are a bit gimmicky. Nokia love! Nokia is WP only whereas HTC is juggling Android and WP8, so I definitely feel better trying to contact Nokia about issues. The design is very minimalist. I happen to like the design. The phone itself feels like a tank. I'd feel much more comfortable dropping an 810 than an 8x. Expandable memory doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me but for others it seems to.

Cons:

Minimalist design turns some people off. Definitely a bit wider and not as comfortable as the 8x. That being said, it's still fine to hold...although maybe not for smaller hands. 8GB only for apps! This might be a deal breaker for some people that play tons of games or something. It's not that big of a deal for me since it has expandable memory to put all of my photos and videos on. The touch buttons are not as accurate as the 8X. When I'm pressing back, sometimes I miss it and my 8x would still recognize it. However, I have gotten used to it.

Hopefully that helps!

markdotinc

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
To me, the internal memory 'issue' is way overblown. I have about 70 apps (including pre-installed ones) but I don't have many games, generally (7 atm).
Meanwhile, I've got 3500 songs on my SD card =).

The people complaining about internal memory are really the crazy kids with 20-30 games on their phone at any time. Don't be that guy.

Optimus82

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the 8X before returning it and going with the 810.

Hopefully that helps!

nice lil review. its all preference but i prefer the more pin-point accuracy of the 810 capacitive buttons. prone to less accidental button taps.

as far as the htc build quality.. ive noticed on almost all of their handsets including android is that the build quality will be great overall but there are some parts such as volume rocker, sim cover, other small things that arent implemented so well it takes away from the rest of the build quality.

the 810 does feel premium. even though it has a removable battery cover the phone feels really solid. no creaking whatsoever

as far as memory... if you keep your photos, videos and music on sd card you shouldnt run into any memory problems. ive noticed that there are some rogue apps that will take up more of the "other" in the phone memory.

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I think you made the right choice, for me it was an easy choice I need the SD slot because I put a lot of HD video on my phone. I like watching while I'm stuck in traffic really helps pass the time. The L920 and 8X with it's embedded memory just wasn't going to cut it for my needs, and to depend on Skydrive is just to iffy. I like having the option to remove the SD card and battery but that's just me. The L920's screen is shorter than the 810's screen and the 920's design to me is a little flimsy compared to the solid feel of the 810. I think the 810's and 822's are the better choice and consider these to be more higher end than the 8X and 920.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6