Sound quality

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
The community has pretty much eased my concerns regarding the camera. Now I am reading that the sound quality is distorted and less than optimal. I am not expecting perfection but I am hoping that it is at least the equal of my Trophy.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I would say the Trophy's sound quality while playing music is better. I find the loudspeaker on the 822 to be harsher. Nothing wrong with the call quality, though.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how anyone could say that Trophy's sound quality is better.... Myself, I think a 12" speaker that has three 4" tears in it, with a hand full of sand and gravel on it, being driven by a 1952 amp with three burned-out tubes sounds better than Trophy, but that's just me.... And I was only the first chair cellist in my high school orchestra, so I don't have much of an ear for sound......

Seriously, though, the loudspeaker on this thing easily outdoes my old Trophy (and my wife's Trophy was the one with the bad speaker - mine was fine), but when you plug in something to the headset jack, be it speakers, headset, or a cable to the aux input of the car stereo, the graphic equalizer and dolby settings come alive in the settings (dumb place to hide them), and now you're rockin'. And yes, they make a HUGE difference. I use it in the car, hooked to the stereo listening to podcasts mostly, and occasionally music, and at work, playing more quietly, listening to music in the background (office setting), plugged into a set of computer speakers. Sound quality is just fine.

Talking on the phone, with it on speaker - yeah, if you crank it all the way up, it'll distort. So don't crank it all the way up.

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
on a somewhat related note, how is the audio quality when connecting through headphones? I have Beats and just want to make sure this device is at least average before making my purchase

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Using the headphones that came with my trophy the 822 sounds so much better it's no comparison. I am very pleased with the sound from my 822 via loudspeaker and headphones.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure how anyone could say that Trophy's sound quality is better.... Myself, I think a 12" speaker that has three 4" tears in it, with a hand full of sand and gravel on it, being driven by a 1952 amp with three burned-out tubes sounds better than Trophy, but that's just me.... And I was only the first chair cellist in my high school orchestra, so I don't have much of an ear for sound......

Seriously, though, the loudspeaker on this thing easily outdoes my old Trophy (and my wife's Trophy was the one with the bad speaker - mine was fine), but when you plug in something to the headset jack, be it speakers, headset, or a cable to the aux input of the car stereo, the graphic equalizer and dolby settings come alive in the settings (dumb place to hide them), and now you're rockin'. And yes, they make a HUGE difference. I use it in the car, hooked to the stereo listening to podcasts mostly, and occasionally music, and at work, playing more quietly, listening to music in the background (office setting), plugged into a set of computer speakers. Sound quality is just fine.

Talking on the phone, with it on speaker - yeah, if you crank it all the way up, it'll distort. So don't crank it all the way up.

And I don't know how anyone would think the 822's loudspeaker is better than the Trophy's. Neither is very good, but the 822's loudspeaker gets really harsh over 15/30 and I'm not the only one to notice this. I also compared them side by side with the same song file.

TaliZorah

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
The loudspeaker on thr 823 is nothing special, but its not the worst. I watch videos and play music all the time on loudspeaker. No issues.

No issues at all with the call speaker either.

odoggyfresh

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I finally bought my 822 over the weekend. noticed that the sound coming out when connected to my Beats headphones or in my car stereo when connected with an AUX cable sounded kind of flat. luckily the equalizer on the phone allows for pretty good tinkering and I was able to get it sounding pretty good. I did not like any of the preset equalizer settings, so I had to use the "custom" feature and do it myself. just making sure everyone was aware that there is a way to adjust it if needed!

mountainman

Oct 31, 2011
Visit site
I finally bought my 822 over the weekend. noticed that the sound coming out when connected to my Beats headphones or in my car stereo when connected with an AUX cable sounded kind of flat. luckily the equalizer on the phone allows for pretty good tinkering and I was able to get it sounding pretty good. I did not like any of the preset equalizer settings, so I had to use the "custom" feature and do it myself. just making sure everyone was aware that there is a way to adjust it if needed!
I totally agree about the preset equalizer settings -- they are horrible. Now that I set up a custom one, I am much happier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb