Cyan Wireless Charging Shell - Review + Pictures!

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Just bought a cyan wireless charging shell for $25.97 after tax at T-Mobile (used a 30% off accessories code) and thought I would do a mini-review here.

The cyan shell feels great. If you currently have or have felt the back of the stock Lumia 810 shell, then you know that it has a bit of a soft touch finish and attracts fingerprints/grease just a little bit. IMHO, it also felt to me like the stock shell could scratch easy (even if it's not the case) simply because of the softness I could "dig into". The cyan shell is very solid and "matte" in every way - just one smooth, solid shell that feels like it may even have a bit more grip than the stock shell, and it's much harder to see fingerprints, too

I was expecting more weight thanks to the wireless charging cells in there but if there is any added weight I haven't been able to tell. As for added thickness... it's a very slight increase. I actually couldn't even tell that my phone was any thicker until I removed the cyan shell and compared it side by side with the stock shell.

Looks wise, I think it's impressive and really makes the phone stand out. It took me a couple of minutes to adjust to the color change once it got swapped out at the store, and I wasn't sure about how "two tone" it looked (you can't see the color when looking directly dead on at the screen)... but the initial shock value wore off and I LOVE it. I really hope Nokia does come out with future colors for the 810, I'll collect 'em all!

cyan_lumia810_hold.jpg
cyan_lumia810_back.jpg
cyan_lumia810_tabled.jpg

Ignore the dust on the screen and, umm, I still have the stock screen protector on there, too (I know!). That dulls the colors and brightness just a bit. I'm waiting on a protector to come in the mail. Also, if my camera looks funny on the back, that's because I cut down a piece of the camera protector and stuck it to the inside back of the shell. I'm not a fan of cleaning fingerprints off of that tiny camera :p

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I will give you my address so you can mail me your phone :D

The two-tone really made the 710 look great and it looks like it does the same for the 810 as well.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
Verrrry nice! :)

I haven't bought any shells yet but plan to get a ruggedised one in orange as soon as they come out.

That Bing Maps icon is nice too....

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Looks pretty nice. Do you know where the accessory coupon codes come from? I heard they are delivered with monthly statements???

EDIT: Also, were they selling wireless chargers yet?

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Looks pretty nice. Do you know where the accessory coupon codes come from? I heard they are delivered with monthly statements???

EDIT: Also, were they selling wireless chargers yet?
They're in the emails that T-Mobile sends out every other month or so. Funny thing is, I couldn't get the right side of the stupid graphic to load, and the T-Mobile guy refused to give a discount (even though I knew the code) without seeing the graphic for himself. So, while in store, I ran back through to an old T-Mobile email from September which also had a 30% off statement in there. Odd, though, in my receipt it shows to be an invalid offer/discount code, but I feel the guy just gave it to me anyway. So, if you PM me your email address, I could forward you the old email (if you can't find one) and you can see if it works for you.

Yes, their wireless charger is a standing wireless charger, but it looks like you may be able to remove the plate that stands and put it wherever you want and lie it down flat. Basically, to me, it looked like the $99 plate that Nokia sells, but with a circular base you can put it into, and is cheaper ($69.99)

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I was able to locate the coupon code ACCOFFER20 at 30% Off Accessories At T-Mobile Stores Or Online - xda-developers. I heard about these a while back but was unaware they were still circulating. Thank you!
UPDATED
So, I picked up the shell and stand. Ditto to MT's review above. Also, if you like the 810, but not how it feels in your hand so much, the thicker shell may help. I wasn't sure what bothered me about the grip, but I'm pretty sure it was the sharply angled back edge. The thickness of the qi shell makes for a more gentle curvature.

Last edited:

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I couldn't find a way to order online. And chatting with tmo online is useless, so I just started calling local corporate stores.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Word of advice: print it off and bring it. Forgot to and the rep was a ass about it. I remembered the code and everything...said he needed to attach it to the receipt. I'm calling bs because a rep at another store gave me a 30% discount a month ago without even asking.

Update: I gave tmo a bad rating on a recent retail store survey. A rep followed up and apologized. They gave me a $10 statement credit for the hassle.

Last edited:

PLGomez

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Will cases still fit with the slight bulk the shell adds? or should I not put a case with the shell. I also want to get a screen protector but don't know which one would not make the screen look bad.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I tried to post a response in this thread a couple of days ago but had issues with my Firefox browser. Alas, here I am again, this time on IE. On Thursday, I walked into the same T-Mobile store where I attempted to buy an 810 last month but was told because of my grandfathered plan I would need to buy the 5GB data plan *rolls eyes*. Anyway, I went in there not expecting much, but I asked the customer service rep if they'd gotten the cyan back and the wireless charging stand yet. She literally didn't have a clue as to what I was asking and showed me some cases. :straight: I had to explain to her twice that she didn't understand what I meant and repeated what I was looking for. Just ugh... So, that's two T-Mobile stores near me that don't have the wireless charging accessories yet. *sigh*

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Part of me wants to buy up a few cyan shells and ship them off to a few of you - Merry Christmas! haha. I wouldn't be able to afford gifting them though :unhappy:

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
What other colors will the charging shells come in?

I actually like the black, it matches my Thinkpad in color an texture.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Only black and cyan have been announced right now. There may be other colors planned for the future, but none officially announced.

My cyan shell creaks a little, on the left side of the phone (opposite the buttons) about an inch below the T-Mobile logo :( Now that I am aware the creak exists, even though it may have been there the whole time, I can't ignore it and I'm being very OCD about it. I hope the store I went to is still in stock because I'm going to try for an exchange. [I placed my original shell back on and can confirm there's no creaking at all - so it's not the phone or the way that all shells work.]

Update: For anyone reading this post later than when I posted it, just want to say that my cyan shell stopped creaking when I got a new 810 (exchanged due to some pesky battery issue). I have no idea why, since the black shell never creaked.. oh well.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss