Seeing no one complaining about the 8S..

Sityos Vin

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
HTC 8x has no sd card, you need to put photos, music, videos and documents, apps on 16 GB storage.

on HTC 8s we have 32 GB+ on SD card for music, videos, photos.... and 1.6 GB for apps.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Just one ridiculous question...

The 4" doesn't look small right? And, also..though this happened a while back, I asked my lady colleague how a white phone looked for a guy and she smiled and said it looked girlie....but 8S doesn't look...you know...I mean it looks manly right? Shouldn't look pansy or anything...

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

richard_c

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
The 4" screen is just right. The phone fits in one hand. Trust me its good.

As for looks. Its a nice well design aesthetically pleasing phone. Its neither girly or manly. Its just a good looking phone :)

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The 8S is a great little phone and it does fit into one hand perfectly.
If HTC would make a 8Gb variant it would be perfect to fight the iPhone4S and iPhone4.
The memory is limited, but just enough for most people that just need the apps they need and just a few maps.
I live in Switzerland, so I added the Swiss map, the map of tiny Liechtenstein which is all I need on that 8S.
Not every country is huge.
$ for $ the 8S is great!
It is great for people who need just the basic stuff, great for companies that need a basic smartphone for their employees, great for every day use.
The battery on the 8S is excellent I find.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
As someone else who is watching his pennies, I am sorry we in the US do not have this fun little option. Sure, the smaller app count might be a deal breaker, as might the no Front facing camera. But for the price you get a fun looking (arguably the best looking WP 8, including other unrealeased ones like the ATIV S and the 620), decent performing mid-sized device. (Is 4" officially small now, or is it still mid-sized? Might just open that up in the forums for debate.)

I think for your purposes Professor X, this little guy would fit the bill. It is quite a different animal from your current monster phone, but I think to use for a while and see how you like WP 8 it would be fine and a joy to use.

I see no reason not to wait and play with the 620 as well in your position, but I am willing to bet you won't regret the 8S.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
As someone else who is watching his pennies, I am sorry we in the US do not have this fun little option. Sure, the smaller app count might be a deal breaker, as might the no Front facing camera. But for the price you get a fun looking (arguably the best looking WP 8, including other unrealeased ones like the ATIV S and the 620), decent performing mid-sized device. (Is 4" officially small now, or is it still mid-sized? Might just open that up in the forums for debate.)

I think for your purposes Professor X, this little guy would fit the bill. It is quite a different animal from your current monster phone, but I think to use for a while and see how you like WP 8 it would be fine and a joy to use.

I see no reason not to wait and play with the 620 as well in your position, but I am willing to bet you won't regret the 8S.

Thanks Snowmutt. As usual, your opinions are much respected. I am looking forward to simplify my life as much as I can. And it is going to start with this phone.

Wont run higher-end games? Good. Neither can I afford it nor am I a gamer.

Doesn't have FFC? Good cause I barely talk to my loved ones, let alone video chatting.

Low internal memory? Good, that means few apps, and THAT in turn means better battery life and a faster OS.

But what I most definitely will need it for:

MS Office.
Need to work from home or while commuting. And this is No. 1 reason I am investing in a MS product.
"The Office apps on Android suck", would be an understatement.
(Also pursue my dream of writing a novel.)

Social Networking.
Twitter/Facebook/Tech websites. Need to interact with people, need to exchange views, need to share.

Music.
I like to be alone, in my world. And Beats Audio is the perfect companion while I commute.

That's about it. If it falls short on these 3 very essential aspects, then I may have to look elsewhere. But I doubt it will.
Lately, I've seen many reviews about how WP is waayyy better than any Android out there. That's what a phone should be like. Out of the box, it should work like a charm.

Last edited:

ivomc

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
HTC 8x has no sd card, you need to put photos, music, videos and documents, apps on 16 GB storage.

on HTC 8s we have 32 GB+ on SD card for music, videos, photos.... and 1.6 GB for apps.

You don't have 1,6 gb for apps... you have about 600mb, since the stupid "other category" grows as much as to 1gb of useless space. It's an absolute waste.I have one 8s and I'm so disappointed because of this.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
You don't have 1,6 gb for apps... you have about 600mb, since the stupid "other category" grows as much as to 1gb of useless space. It's an absolute waste.I have one 8s and I'm so disappointed because of this.

You wouldn't recommend it right? Also, I am not going to install 3000 apps..let alone high end games..it would still be an issue?

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I got one of these for my partner here in NZ. Gave it to her for Christmas. Lasted for about 3 hours before it became too hot to touch. Switched it off to cool it down and it wouldn't start again. None of the usual restart tricks worked so took it back to Vodafone who replaced no questions asked. Turned the replacement on and it wouldn't recognise the sim card. Vodafone tried multiple sims with no luck so junked that 1 too. Lost faith in them to be homest so ended up stumping up another $300 for 820. (That's the off contract price dif here in NZ).
Based on the 3 hours of use on the HTC it seemed like a nice phone but not much storage at all left over after OS etc installed (less than 2 GB). 820 is noticeable faster and has a better camera and more storage but so it should for the price tag. Bottom line was happy with HTC but just lost trust in the device after 2 units with a combined lifespan of half a day.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Virtually no room for apps and only 512 mb RAM. I don't know.. As long as you don't need anything other than the apps it comes with and maybe a handful of games I guess it would be adequate.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss