Seeing no one complaining about the 8S..

flierman

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty satisified with my 8S, since I dont use alot of apps...maybe 10-15 I have no problem with the storage. The quality is really great and it is really thin and nice to hold, and looks great.

Audio is great with beats audio and the 4 inch size of the screen is just perfect for me, I think 4,5 is to big. The Nokias and the 8X are to bulky for my taste. I do belive the Nokia 620 is a better phone compared to 8S since you get more internal storage and so on, but the size and feeling of the HTC is superior.

Camera is not that great on 8S but I use a real camera when out so no issue for me.

The 512 mb ram is enough for me, I think it is rapid and responsive all the time. I dont play games so have no opinion about it.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty satisified with my 8S, since I dont use alot of apps...maybe 10-15 I have no problem with the storage. The quality is really great and it is really thin and nice to hold, and looks great.

Audio is great with beats audio and the 4 inch size of the screen is just perfect for me, I think 4,5 is to big. The Nokias and the 8X are to bulky for my taste. I do belive the Nokia 620 is a better phone compared to 8S since you get more internal storage and so on, but the size and feeling of the HTC is superior.

Camera is not that great on 8S but I use a real camera when out so no issue for me.

The 512 mb ram is enough for me, I think it is rapid and responsive all the time. I dont play games so have no opinion about it.

Thanks flierman. I am more or less exactly like u...10-15 apps, not worried about the camera and gonna enjoy music...

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
The smart thing to do would be to stretch your budget to get a Lumia 820 so you'd get a much more practical 8 GB of RAM plus the same speedy 1.5 GHz processor as the 920 and 1 GB of RAM so you aren't left out of the best apps on WP8.

If that is not possible, wait for the Lumia 620. That way you get 8 GB of NAND memory at least so you will have a reasonable amount of internal storage for apps. All indications are that the 620 will have a similar price to the 8S and its far more practical.

You're never going to be able to run apps off the SD card, so if that's your back up plan, i'd let that pipe dream go.

Aliandren

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Not sure a out your market but we had free 822/810/820 lumias over the holiday season in the US. With this in mind I don't see how anyone could justify buying an 8s.
Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
The smart thing to do would be to stretch your budget to get a Lumia 820 so you'd get a much more practical 8 GB of RAM plus the same speedy 1.5 GHz processor as the 920 and 1 GB of RAM so you aren't left out of the best apps on WP8.

If that is not possible, wait for the Lumia 620. That way you get 8 GB of NAND memory at least so you will have a reasonable amount of internal storage for apps. All indications are that the 620 will have a similar price to the 8S and its far more practical.

You're never going to be able to run apps off the SD card, so if that's your back up plan, i'd let that pipe dream go.

Then I just have to say, Love at first sight. I just fell in love with the 8S. In fact, I CAN stretch my budget a little. The bad part is, I don't even have any plans to buy any apps. May be a couple of simple games, but that's it. And of course the news apps. No matter what, I just cant see 620 in good light.
May be Nokia 820, but definitely not 620. Thanks for ur suggestion though..gonna do some research on the 820.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Not sure a out your market but we had free 822/810/820 lumias over the holiday season in the US. With this in mind I don't see how anyone could justify buying an 8s.
Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Board Express

That's exactly what is angering the WP8 crowd here in India. People are either picking older devices or the 8Xs here...no word from Nokia either...

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
How are 8S owners finding the web browsing on the 8S? I'm a heavy web browser and have multiple web sites open at the same time. My BlackBerry Bold 9700 lags when it comes to web browsing which is why I want to upgrade. But I dont want just a minor upgrade. Is heavy web browsing decent on the 8S despite its meagre 512 MB RAM?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
How are 8S owners finding the web browsing on the 8S? I'm a heavy web browser and have multiple web sites open at the same time. My BlackBerry Bold 9700 lags when it comes to web browsing which is why I want to upgrade. But I dont want just a minor upgrade. Is heavy web browsing decent on the 8S despite its meagre 512 MB RAM?
On the surface, 512 mb of ram is not very much, considering my laptop is running 4gb and it's 2 years old. You need to remember that a mobile o/s is extremely light weight (or at least should be) so its caching requirements are nowhere even close to what a computer o/s is.

snaqvi91

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the 512 mb RAM is why the phone uses up so much 'other' storage? Do you think it might be the page file or whatever its called?

crystal_planet

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I think the "other" might be part swap file, or cache. There should be a user override that you could adjust it to a minimum level. Right now it looks like it's dynamic and it expands or contracts as it sees fit.

flierman

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I guess the final verdict is that if you will use alot of apps/games the 8S is not enough for you, get the 8X or wait for Lumia 620.

If you, like me dont use so many apps/games the 8S is really great, I am very satisfied with it and the 512 MB ram is enough to support the phone for normal use, I find it fast and responsive.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I got one of these for my partner here in NZ. Gave it to her for Christmas. Lasted for about 3 hours before it became too hot to touch. Switched it off to cool it down and it wouldn't start again. None of the usual restart tricks worked so took it back to Vodafone who replaced no questions asked. Turned the replacement on and it wouldn't recognise the sim card. Vodafone tried multiple sims with no luck so junked that 1 too. Lost faith in them to be homest so ended up stumping up another $300 for 820. (That's the off contract price dif here in NZ).
Based on the 3 hours of use on the HTC it seemed like a nice phone but not much storage at all left over after OS etc installed (less than 2 GB). 820 is noticeable faster and has a better camera and more storage but so it should for the price tag. Bottom line was happy with HTC but just lost trust in the device after 2 units with a combined lifespan of half a day.

Was the 4" too small? Just asking, as I was seeing it along with my RaZr, thought was tad bit smaller. But the web pages looked/felt perfect. Just over all, the size was a little small. Did u feel so?

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
I guess the final verdict is that if you will use alot of apps/games the 8S is not enough for you, get the 8X or wait for Lumia 620.

If you, like me dont use so many apps/games the 8S is really great, I am very satisfied with it and the 512 MB ram is enough to support the phone for normal use, I find it fast and responsive.

Correct..also, like I asked Stephen, do you think the 4" is slightly smaller? I have a a RaZr, 4.3". Though i just hate the Android font and everything about it in general, the web page on the 8S looked perfect, but wasn't huge. Did u think it was small?

flierman

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Correct..also, like I asked Stephen, do you think the 4" is slightly smaller? I have a a RaZr, 4.3". Though i just hate the Android font and everything about it in general, the web page on the 8S looked perfect, but wasn't huge. Did u think it was small?

Compared to my Iphone 3,5 inches I think 4 is perfect, feels alot bigger than the Iphone and perfect size for me, 4.5 is to big for my taste.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Compared to my Iphone 3,5 inches I think 4 is perfect, feels alot bigger than the Iphone and perfect size for me, 4.5 is to big for my taste.

Hmm...from 3.5" it looks big. And from 4.3" it looks small...also, I will be writing a lot on my phone as I work whilst commuting sometimes. So, is it comfortable to hold and stare at the screen for a long time. Or do the small fonts are an eye-strain?

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Was the 4" too small? Just asking, as I was seeing it along with my RaZr, thought was tad bit smaller. But the web pages looked/felt perfect. Just over all, the size was a little small. Did u feel so?

Sorry for the slow reply. Summer holidays over here so not in front of the screen too often. We both found the 4" screen a nice size but to put that in perspective my partner was coming from a Galaxy Mini and I was up until recently still rocking an E71 (It just went on and on and refused to die!) so 4" screen seemed kind of big to us initially. The bigger screen on the 820 seemed huge to my partner initially but she quickly got used to it so if you are coming from a screen of 3.5" plus you might not feel like it's much of an upgrade. Coming down in screen size you will notice the difference on web pages as the display isn't super sharp. If you put it next to my E71 on the otherhand it looks like ultra HD haha.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for the slow reply. Summer holidays over here so not in front of the screen too often. We both found the 4" screen a nice size but to put that in perspective my partner was coming from a Galaxy Mini and I was up until recently still rocking an E71 (It just went on and on and refused to die!) so 4" screen seemed kind of big to us initially. The bigger screen on the 820 seemed huge to my partner initially but she quickly got used to it so if you are coming from a screen of 3.5" plus you might not feel like it's much of an upgrade. Coming down in screen size you will notice the difference on web pages as the display isn't super sharp. If you put it next to my E71 on the otherhand it looks like ultra HD haha.

Hahah...no issues with the later reply at all. OK so basically its where u come from that matters...like from 4.3", it might look tad bit smaller (and it does). Hmm..wonder how long will that difference stay until I get used to it. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR on JB.

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Hahah...no issues with the later reply at all. OK so basically its where u come from that matters...like from 4.3", it might look tad bit smaller (and it does). Hmm..wonder how long will that difference stay until I get used to it. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR on JB.

If you are happy with the quality of what you are seeing on the screen then I don't think it would take more than a week or so to get used to a different size. In the half a day we had an operational 8S there wasn't a whole lot of web surfing done. All said and done my partner was really happy with the 8S and it was really just bad luck getting 2 DOA units. If the 820 or 920 or 8X push the budget too far and you can live with the few shortcomings already mentioned by others here then there is no reason you wouldn't be happy with the 8S :)

Cherryblawsome

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
HI there sorry im new here and im not sure where to post my phone issues, so i think i'll post my complaints on the 8s here.
So i got this phone on xmas, and i've noticed a few problems
1) when i am typing on the keyboard it randomly zooms in, and i DONT know how to get out of it except restarting my phone -.- this has cost me to lose quite a few of my work and emails. this has happened 4 times in the few weeks i've had it. first time on the 3rd day i bought it. Is that a windows 8 thing? or should i send it back to the store but i don't know how i would explain it to them. help?
2) Sometimes the volume doesn't work, it says it's increasing the volume as i press the buttons but the sound output remains the same. UGH. and then sometimes no sound even plays when the volume is 30!! (maximum)
3) Messenger can never connect to chat.

These are just few of the problems, man. Can anyone help me? or direct me to the right direction on how to solve the problems i've been having?

Thanks

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
HI there sorry im new here and im not sure where to post my phone issues, so i think i'll post my complaints on the 8s here.
So i got this phone on xmas, and i've noticed a few problems
1) when i am typing on the keyboard it randomly zooms in, and i DONT know how to get out of it except restarting my phone -.- this has cost me to lose quite a few of my work and emails. this has happened 4 times in the few weeks i've had it. first time on the 3rd day i bought it. Is that a windows 8 thing? or should i send it back to the store but i don't know how i would explain it to them. help?
2) Sometimes the volume doesn't work, it says it's increasing the volume as i press the buttons but the sound output remains the same. UGH. and then sometimes no sound even plays when the volume is 30!! (maximum)
3) Messenger can never connect to chat.

These are just few of the problems, man. Can anyone help me? or direct me to the right direction on how to solve the problems i've been having?

Thanks

I would get a replacement. Possibly hardware issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)