Never Buying a Windows Phone or Doing Business With AT&T or Nokia Ever Again

ridie1389

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
So I'm a 17 year old guy with Asperger's Syndrome and if any of you know what that is, than you probably know that people with Asperger's Syndrome usually hyper-focus on on area of expertise, mine so happens to be Smartphones and other Mobile Devices. So in April I bought a Nokia Lumia 900 so I could try Windows Phone 7 and expand my horizons, and there are major flaws with it, but over all I thought that getting Windows Phone 8 would remedy these problems. Well guess what? That's not happening, and to make matters worse, my Lumia is having major problems like constant freezing, rebooting, giving various errors when I attempt to download apps and part of the screen popped out for no good reason. So I contacted AT&T a month ago and they told me that they would excuse the Early Upgrade Fee and that I could buy another phone for normal 2-year contract pricing. And about a week or two later I called back because the upgrade eligibility had not shown up on the account, only to be told that I actually couldn't do that and that I would have to pay the $350 Early Upgrade Fee and that in order to repair the Lumia I would have to pay $200, and I'm a 17 year-old with a family struggling to pay bills and having saved up for a month only to have $50 for a new phone. I spend all the time I'm not in school on my phone because I do not have any social life whatsoever and no money for gas to even leave the house since mid-October besides for school. My phone is my entire life, and can't give me any kind of break, my phone has been the only thing keeping clinical depression in check and be able to cope with the world, because it allows me to feel like I'm actually stuck in my room every single minute that I am not in school.

Thanks Nokia and AT&T, you've helped so much -_-

Sorry WPCentral Users, but it is reasons like this that people hate big companies who don't care about there customers.:unhappysweat:

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
So you have windows phone 8 now? If so why would you not just exchange it? And if you just want out of your contract early.....why is it at&t's or Nokia's fault that you feel the need to break your contract early?

I'm not trying to be a dick but your rant seems a little unfounded. At&t and more so, Nokia have given me stellar support with my Lumia 920.

If your that ocd about your phone and wp7 didn't cut it for you then you should have researched the operating system a bit more to make sure it meets your needs.

Your post just sounds like you think your entitled to have special rules for you because of your disorder, sorry but the real world won't just cater to you, gotta do your homework, your only 17 though you have another year to learn. ;)

ridie1389

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
No, I have the Lumia 900 with Windows Phone 7, and they would not let me exchange without a massive fee, and I never said that I needed to break my contract early. But usually when somebody from a company tells you that something like that and then turn around and say no something like that is frustrating. I did do my research, but at the time, nobody new that legacy hardware would not be receiving the update, so there was no way I could have expected that to happen. And I'm sorry if it seems that I said that and it came across that the world revolves around me, but when a company makes a shotty product and then don't back up the support and the carrier lies to you and tells you one thing may happen and then go back on that word, it makes customers upset, no?

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
No, I have the Lumia 900 with Windows Phone 7, and they would not let me exchange without a massive fee, and I never said that I needed to break my contract early. But usually when somebody from a company tells you that something like that and then turn around and say no something like that is frustrating. I did do my research, but at the time, nobody new that legacy hardware would not be receiving the update, so there was no way I could have expected that to happen. And I'm sorry if it seems that I said that and it came across that the world revolves around me, but when a company makes a shotty product and then don't back up the support and the carrier lies to you and tells you one thing may happen and then go back on that word, it makes customers upset, no?

email at&t mobility CEO

That's how I was able to price match my 920 to the black Friday price after many unsuccessful attempts with at&t customer service.

Last edited by a moderator:

ridie1389

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
email at&t mobility CEO

That's how I was able to price match my 920 to the black Friday price after many unsuccessful attempts with at&t customer service.

Thank you, very much appreciated. It's unfortunate when a company doesn't keep their word, but now that I have vented. I realize that most every company does this unfortunately

Last edited by a moderator:

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
send a mail to Stephen Elop too. They may be able to help you.

But one thing i learnt when each rep has a way of handling things.. so when a person says that we will waive you this fee, ask him to do it right away and upgrade. Coz when oyu call bakc it is someone else and you end up getting a worse deal

irvin792

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
send a mail to Stephen Elop too. They may be able to help you.

But one thing i learnt when each rep has a way of handling things.. so when a person says that we will waive you this fee, ask him to do it right away and upgrade. Coz when oyu call bakc it is someone else and you end up getting a worse deal

Last edited:

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
You're 17. Get off the electronics once and a while. Don't let your disorder hold you back from being outside, with people or not.

Klevis

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
A lot of negative people in this thread. It is almost disgusting when you hear people who protect AT&T and Nokia and Microsoft without caring that they step on people's heart and emotions. I am a big fan of Microsoft and especially Nokia and I hate Apple and Google (not professional at all, the most sneaky corporations in the world), but this is too much. The guy gives reasons why he is so attached to his phone and why it is a much bigger deal to him than other people. Instead of people trying to give suggestion and help (even if he might be wrong), they speak idiocies.
I, as Micheal, would suggest to write an e-mail to Stephen Elop. Don't expect too much because Nokia is not directly responsible for your situation, but there are some stories that contacting Stephen Elop has resulted in answered prayers. :p

MechanizedSunrise

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Try again with AT&T customer care. The ability to waive the early upgrade fee is at the discretion of the CSR and his/her supervisor. I talked to multiple CSRs before one was willing to provide me with an upgrade. They can be quite understanding if you explain the situation that the L900 came out this year with a push by AT&T, and shortly thereafter they announced that the L900 would not get updated to WP8, and that it would be outdated by the L920. We are all human, and some CSRs are more willing to work with you if they relate to the situation of feeling like you got screwed because of timing. My last CSR was so helpful to the point that I made it point to call her boss on her behalf for the help.

Having said that, this is a perk. To be perfectly honest, this is not something to be expected. When you purchased that L900, you signed a contract with no uncertain terms as to when your upgrade window opens. The contract makes no provision for "the latest and greatest." What you got at that time was an L900 with no guarantee that Microsoft, Google, or Apple would not drop the next great thing in the tech world. That is what your contract is for. There is no blame to AT&T or Nokia for trying to hold you to your contract. I hope you get the upgrade, but they do not owe you anything except continued wireless service as agreed upon.

SinisterDuck

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
You're 17. Get off the electronics once and a while. Don't let your disorder hold you back from being outside, with people or not.

You obviously don't know about Aspergers. Telling one afflicted with it to just go out and play is like telling someone suffering from depression to cheer up and smile more.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
You obviously don't know about Aspergers. Telling one afflicted with it to just go out and play is like telling someone suffering from depression to cheer up and smile more.

Probably easier for the person with depression.

Aspergers isn't a temporary thing. It's part of who you are.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I got my HTC Radar in April. Day after Black Friday I dropped and spider webbed my Radar's screen so horribly I had to tape on a screen protector to keep the glass in. I knew my $130 deductible to replace with a refurb. Eligible for upgrade in December '13, ETF of $200 I called T-Mo , and got a hook up on this sweet 8X I'm writing this on. I was going to help you in your approach, in fact I had all my text in, ready for submit, but a few something's caught my attention. Let's back up. Make sure to read all the way to the end now.....

Now first off, your 900 should be covered under warranty and exchange, as an unfortunate 17 yo such as yourself surely got your phone on contract, not, what $500+ on an unlocked 900. So yes, should definitely be covered if the screen did indeed pop out for "no reason". And here I thought the 900 was a TANK!! But then again, my Radar DID pop out of my hand for absolutely no reason when I was out partying. Yes that was tacitly sarcastic.

Now, I MAY be wrong here, but ....
Seriously, I've a theory, which IS THE basis for the rest of this comment. Its a story, as your self proclaimed "expertise" leads me, involving rooting, flashing, eventual bricking and an ill attempted self fix that voided your warranty and has you SOL now. Otherwise why no warranty swap? Because this isn't your fault, right? Just happened? Yeah..

That being said, I can't get down with your pity party. I don't care about 17 and Asperger's. You're putting out an aura of entitlement, of poor me and are actually playing to that for sympathy. You're claiming NO responsibility in this matter. You're trying to deceive the folks that YOU signed up with, to do them dirty to the tune of $300. Cause you got in over your head. And then whine about it because you're not getting your way.

People, now before you yell at me.. Know i only try to be helpful and respectful here. Now, I know I might, might be wrong, but the dots are . Connect them. Makes sense now, huh. Why didn't you see that?

Now....

I'll still tell you what to do and to say, because we help each other here on WPC. But only if you put on your big boy pants, and take responsibility for your part,if only to the audience you so tried to garner sympathy from, and not act like a 3year old girl who lost her lollipop. Like Judge Joe Brown says "Man up!!!"

I honestly hope I am wrong. I do. If not, you'll be glad one day I called you out on your BS.
Oh, and Ridie is right, go outside, do something. Walk, its good for you. Whether you have options or not. I walk an hour to work..

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I think you guys are being too hard on the guy. He's not upset because of a sense of entitlement. He's upset because an AT&T CSR told him that they would do something, and then when he tried to get it done, he was told he couldn't. Basically, he was misled by a CSR. That's horrible customer service, and it's perfectly normal to be upset.

Imagine planning a trip to a restaurant. You call ahead of time and negotiate a deal where they'll give you a discount on your order.

So then you go there and they say that you don't get a discount.

Wouldn't you be peeved?

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry but I don't see how on earth is this by any definition fault of Nokia's? It's AT&T's policies that are in effect here and Nokia has absolutely nothing to do with those.

And another thing: For the love of Zeus, stop e-mailing Stephen Elop. You're ruining a good thing by *****ing about every little problem directly to him. Word's gotten around that he's some sort of magical Santa Claus that can fix everything and I'm sure if he's not already ignoring these kinds of e-mails he will start soon simply because they will take all of his time. There might have been a couple of occasions when writing such an e-mail has been the correct choice, but this is not one of them.

When you have a problem with your carrier, you talk about that with your carrier, not Stephen Elop!

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
My cousin had a similar issue, emailed Stephen Elop, they upgraded him to the 920 from his 900 for free and sent him this crazy looking BT headset.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99