Music problems

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I was finally able to get all my music on my phone after yesterdays windows for mac update, although several songs were loaded over 30 times.

Whatever, better than nothing

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm having this issue now, too. I had nearly 800 songs on my phone when I first synched it in November, when I got it. The last couple of weeks, I added a few more albums, only to discover that the album art had somehow vanished. I deleted them but re-added one of those albums. When I did that, I noticed that another album (not one that lost its art) had also disappeared from my phone. I added that and everything seemed peachy. Next thing I know, during last week, I noticed that the album I re-added because the art had vanished was gone! Ditto for the one that originally disappeared, because it too is gone again. I have no idea what's up with that, but it's super annoying. :eck:

falsehopess

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
sorry to hear that metalchick i found using pankas method for loading music using the windows phone desktop app fixed that. Also through tinkering using media monkey to imbed the album art into the mp3 itself has fixed this issue as well. although doing that for a 16gb music collection is rather annoying

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
This is in fact an astoundingly annoying issue. Installed the syncing app/program. Hopefully this will solve my problems. Otherwise I'm going to do a factory reset on this thing, and work from there.

EDIT 1: Doing a reset now. We'll see if this does anything at all.

EDIT 2: For me... it appears the issue was in the way I unhooked my phone from the computer. Ever since I started ejecting the phone from the computer I've not had this issue any longer. I've also kinda given up on trying to get my album art to sync up. I don't look at my phone when listening to music anyway.

Last edited:

falsehopess

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Embedding the album art in the mp3's has worked for me. After that I used windows explorer and just deleted the artist and added the newly fixed files and the album art never disappears now and non of the other metadata gets screwed up either

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh ****,

I decided to try other methods of adding music, WMP, Windows Phone app and I made a huge mess of what's on my phone. I ended up with quad copies of my music (and photos for some reason). Trying to play music ended up with the phone locking up.

I ended up taking out the SD card, and formatting it (after copying off what I wanted to keep) on my PC. Then I copied back my music, photos.

Put the SD cad back in the phone, and the final kicker, rest the phone to factory with the SD card still in.

Have to say, the rest went faster with Portico. And all my music and photos are back to single entries :) Now I'm back to figuring out least painful method of making playlists. I might just upgrade my laptop to Windows 8 to experiment.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Nevermind. Issue is back yet again. Synced up a list. Look and all the albums are there. Restart the phone, and bam. Half my stuff is now missing. The songs are there, but the album data is not. C'mon Nokia/Microsoft. I expect better of you!

On a side note... I think this issues doesn't show when I skip the sync dance, and just copy paste the files directly. Odd, but I'm going to give this more thought. Hopefully an upgrade to Win8 will solve this.

Last edited:

falsehopess

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Nevermind. Issue is back yet again. Synced up a list. Look and all the albums are there. Restart the phone, and bam. Half my stuff is now missing. The songs are there, but the album data is not. C'mon Nokia/Microsoft. I expect better of you!

On a side note... I think this issues doesn't show when I skip the sync dance, and just copy paste the files directly. Odd, but I'm going to give this more thought. Hopefully an upgrade to Win8 will solve this.
Mushroom since you went through with a reboot and a wipe of your card try out what I mentioned above. I know that using the windows phone app can be a pain in the ass because sometimes when I tried to resync music or playlists for that matter it would delete them instead of add them. You may have to sync a couple of times. I fixed most of the album art issues using media monkey and imbedding the album art into the mp3 itself. After that I launched zune software and recreated most of my playlists. After doing all that I then used the windows phone software to add my playlists and music. That seemed to fix everything I can now reboot and not loose any metadata or playlists. That seems like a lot of work I know but it worked for me.

On a side note while using windows media player worked for me every reboot would wreck the metadata. Using the above method has kept this from happening. Also I can now turn on "connect with Xbox music" under the music settings (so I can use smart dj) and not have it wreck metadata. BTW that is the only option under music settings I have turned on.

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Chiming in.

12000 or so music files.

I have been a tech pro for about 25 years.

Previously managed by Zoon and synced a few play lists and albums to my HTC Trophy and synced all to my 80 GB Zoon MP3 player.

Album art was mainly intact.

Computer OS Windows 8
New phone Nokia Lumia 822

I tried syncing with Media Player
I experienced the problem of disappearing album art and play lists and so on.

Main thing that perked up my ears on this thread was >
1. Safely ejecting phone, I did not have to do for some time as Windows Phone 7 did not mount the phone as a file system.
2. MediaMonkey was a possibility, never used before.

I could not eject the phone until I changed the settings on some services relating to DEV software I had. Once I set those to manual I was able to eject the phone correctly. I found what services were interfering after eject failure by looking in the Windows system log.

My opinion was after downloading the free MediaMonkey was it was better suited to sync music than WMP. I am a long time user of WMP and I am not down on it.

Once I had MM (MediaMonkey) find the album art on the web and applied it to the album in the song list I found that it would remain on the phone even after a reboot.
This did not go without some bumps during this process. Before I got things squared away (not claiming I have it squared away now), twice MM crashed while trying to remove a playlist and corrupted the SD card. When this would happen the phone totally lost the card, did not think it had one. I could not logically remove what I did not have. Physically removed and replaced SD to no avail. When I put the card in the computer and ran check disk, it did not find any problem. The only thing that worked was reformatting the card on the computer, then the normal wp8 wizard came up and asked if I would like to save stuff on the card. After getting my eject stuff together I have only had one small hitch. I found that one playlist was listed with zero files. I went through the motions of removing and replacing the playlist twice with MM to no avail. After the 3rd removal I went into the play list wit MM on the computer and redid the find mp3 tags on the web, then resync to phone and all is well.

Summary

I do not understand all the reasons this seems to be too hard. I will continue to use MM, eject my phone properly and hope for the best.

This thread has been helpful to me.

Thanks

falsehopess

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
interesting that media monkey corrupted the card. I have not tested using media monkey to sync I have basically used it only to fix my mp3 collection. I switched to the zune software when the zune player was launched so it had been a while since I had messed with mp3s with other software Zune just worked nicely and found no need too. It wasnt until this music debacle that I realized zune had its own way of doing things that were out of the norm for most players lol

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Strangely, I noticed that one of the two albums I had disappear from my XBox Music collection has somehow appeared under Nokia Music. The other has vanished completely. Just don't get it. My SD card was also scanned and corrected for errors last week, so I'm drawing a blank on it.

Edwincnelson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
How about this. I erased everything on the card via WMP and redownloaded all my music through my pass. That was a pain but I figured I was done. Then I noticed that for albums that I had lost tags on before the new downloaded albums had copies of all my songs like the "lost" songs had reappeared. Very strange.

trouble210

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

That's what I did and everything seems to be working fine now (knocking on wood). Had the same problems (duplicate songs, titles/artwork with no music, etc.). Here's what I did/am doing now:

1. Wiped SD card with a fresh format.
2. Turned off Sync in Windows Media Player (only use copy-paste in Explorer now).
3. Rip mp3's with WMP.
4. Add/edit metadata/artwork using Mp3tag software (Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...))
5. Copy and Paste each mp3 file to SD card one at a time and wait about 20 seconds between each copy-paste. Slow, but it's working.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
That's what I did and everything seems to be working fine now (knocking on wood). Had the same problems (duplicate songs, titles/artwork with no music, etc.). Here's what I did/am doing now:

1. Wiped SD card with a fresh format.
2. Turned off Sync in Windows Media Player (only use copy-paste in Explorer now).
3. Rip mp3's with WMP.
4. Add/edit metadata/artwork using Mp3tag software (Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...))
5. Copy and Paste each mp3 file to SD card one at a time and wait about 20 seconds between each copy-paste. Slow, but it's working.

My God. Who has the time?

That's insane. Close to giving up on the phone.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
The syncing software was the reason I had duplicate songs issues. I think I've tracked the issue down to data being stored on the phone as well as the SD card. If you check your music folder on the phone via explorer you'll notice what appears to be metadata. Once I got rid of that the issues appears to have gone away. Who knows...

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
The syncing software was the reason I had duplicate songs issues. I think I've tracked the issue down to data being stored on the phone as well as the SD card. If you check your music folder on the phone via explorer you'll notice what appears to be metadata. Once I got rid of that the issues appears to have gone away. Who knows...

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "check your music folder on the phone via explorer."

trouble210

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
My God. Who has the time?

That's insane. Close to giving up on the phone.

Found a work-around (no saving one at a time anymore) that is working perfectly: Rip to the songs to hard drive. When you set your metadata with Mp3tag software (link in previous post), set Album Artist, Composer, and Discnumber fields to <blank> and save. (They are the bottom 3 fields above the artwork on the left side of the pane). Drag and drop using Windows Explorer. Been doing that for 2 weeks now without a single issue with dups, bad artwork, mis-labels, etc.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos