Buy Lumia 800 or htc 8s

Warui_bad

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Hi,
My phone broke this moth, a LG c360. I only have a budget of 300/350 € to buy a new one, I was planing to get a windows phone cellphone.
At first I though buy lumia 800, love the nokia software, nokia drive and the good camera, but with the release of wp 8 i was thinking to get htc 8s, but the memory 4 gb is low :\.
Don't know what to buy now, can you help me?

Warui_bad

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm from Portugal and the Lumia 820 is been sold for 599€, complete out of my budget >:, because if could I would buy lumia 820.

Last edited:

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
It depends on your usage and your "app requirement".
I'm buying the 8S as my app appetite is super low.
Basic apps like FB, Twitter, Torch and currency converter and I am home.
8S is perfect for me. Just having a utility isn't enough. Ask yourself if you are ever going to use it. Like, 8S doesn't have a front camera. Fine by me, as I hardly use it.
On the other hand, I am not liking the Nokia lower end device designs. Look like plastic toys to me.

Hence as they say, to each his own...

Sent from my RaZr on MIUI.

Warui_bad

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
It depends on your usage and your "app requirement".
I'm buying the 8S as my app appetite is super low.
Basic apps like FB, Twitter, Torch and currency converter and I am home.
8S is perfect for me. Just having a utility isn't enough. Ask yourself if you are ever going to use it. Like, 8S doesn't have a front camera. Fine by me, as I hardly use it.
On the other hand, I am not liking the Nokia lower end device designs. Look like plastic toys to me.

Hence as they say, to each his own...

You are right my only concern is the is the wp 7.5 and wp 8, because if wp was the same I would buy the lumia 800 with my eyes close love, What I'm afraid that MS and apps will move to wp 8 in a short time.

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
If I remember correctly the 8s comes with a slot for a changeable memory card. This means that you should be able to put in 32GB of memory or something like that. I'd ask about in the store but if it is as I described then that would solve the low memory problem in the 8s.

That being said I've had a Lumia 800 since February and I can definitely recommend it. It's an amazing quality and the Nokia software is very nice and handy. Remember that you will get Windows Phone 7.8 which will bring some Windows Phone 8 features (for instance the new star screen). ;) Your Call. :)

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
TBH, even I considered the 800. But one of the main things that changed my decision is WP8. I am sure they have made some really essential changes that can never come to WP7/7.8.

Since it is the latest, it will have several benefits over an outdated OS. IMHO.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
If I remember correctly the 8s comes with a slot for a changeable memory card. This means that you should be able to put in 32GB of memory or something like that. I'd ask about in the store but if it is as I described then that would solve the low memory problem in the 8s.

That being said I've had a Lumia 800 since February and I can definitely recommend it. It's an amazing quality and the Nokia software is very nice and handy. Remember that you will get Windows Phone 7.8 which will bring some Windows Phone 8 features (for instance the new star screen). ;) Your Call. :)

You are right. But that is for only music, pictures movies. Unfortunately, the 4GB has to accommodate the OS, AND the apps, AND the data AND the cache.

In the end, you are left with 1.6 GB or something for apps...

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
You are right. But that is for only music, pictures movies. Unfortunately, the 4GB has to accommodate the OS, AND the apps, AND the data AND the cache.

In the end, you are left with 1.6 GB or something for apps...

Are you absoloutely sure about that? I can't really see why you wouldn't be able to install apps on a memory card. After all, it's a memory chip as well as any integrated chip (I suppose). But if it is so, then I can see your concern though pictures and movies and such definitely take up more room than apps. I guess it comes down to how many apps you plan on installing, which I now can be very difficult to tell before you even have the phone. It really comes down to that. I guess you could also wait a bit for the prices to drop and the go with either the 8x or the 820, but I can tell you that Windows Phone 7.5 (and 7.8) are really great systems.

Warui_bad

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Are you absoloutely sure about that? I can't really see why you wouldn't be able to install apps on a memory card. After all, it's a memory chip as well as any integrated chip (I suppose). But if it is so, then I can see your concern though pictures and movies and such definitely take up more room than apps. I guess it comes down to how many apps you plan on installing, which I now can be very difficult to tell before you even have the phone. It really comes down to that. I guess you could also wait a bit for the prices to drop and the go with either the 8x or the 820, but I can tell you that Windows Phone 7.5 (and 7.8) are really great systems.

The space for apps in htc 8s is a one of the major draw back for me :\

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site

100% sure. That is worrying many potential buyers like me. Its some sort of Microsoft's policy that you can't install apps on the SD card.

Lumis90

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Buy Lumia 800 and then install WP7.8 rom with nokia care suite and you have that screen with 16gb memory. I installed this rom and it works perfect. I think this is the best variant.

Agent_Llama

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 800. I bought an 8S yesterday and have already put it up for sale. Most of the 4gb memory is taken up by WP8. I filled my phone in the space of half an hour.

X0LARIUM

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
Re: Buy Lumia 800 or HTC 8s

I'm guessing waiting a couple of months for the 620 is out of the question?

If u are in a hurry(unlike me), u can go for 800. But it has its limitations. Severe ones at that.
I would seriously ask u if u are not going to install 30000+ apps, the 8S will b perfect. But if that's going to b the case, 800 it is.
IMHO, the 620 looks like a kid's toy.

VDubb22

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I would say wait until the Lumia 620 is released or get the 8S. While WP 7.x is a solid platform, it's a near obsolete OS and you'll be feeling the pain within the next year. If you don't mind saving up, you should try to get the 8X or Lumia 820.

Warui_bad

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes that's the right move, I'm going to wait until Lumia 820 came out here :), a family member borrowed me his lumia 800 until i buy my new cellphone :D

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
The 8S has only 1.2 Gb free, you can only store pictures and music on the SD card. No way to install navigation. For everything else it is better than the Lumia 800. If you want a WP8, The Samsung Ativ S is being sold for Euro 374.- by www.digitec.ch (You get 8% discount as Swiss VAT is removed, but when you get it, you must pay local VAT and duties.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro