A little help here; opinions please...

jambaugh

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hi, Im new the forum and am coming back to windows phone (had the original optima). My phone experience ranges from blackberry, android (4 models) and a short stint with iphone4. My carrier is VZW

I know the 822 is not THE flagship phone but after doing research since the 920 is not available to us poor slogs on vzw, I decided to go with the 822 in large part due to expandable memory capability. I expect bugs in an OS this new and in first run phones. However, I am having the lion's share of the issues I have seen listed with these phones.

Data connection loss; both LTE and WiFi

Youtube video problems; it may be the app that sux but I also have problems when I go straight to the site. It has been years since I have seen youtube buffer (and no my broadband connection is fine) We have experimented with a nexus and iphone running the same video while the 822 is "opening" in the middle of videos. I also get lots of this device can't play this video errors.

headphone jack malfunction: at level 30 can barely hear. External speakers are plenty loud and I tried 3 different headphone sets all which work fine on othe devices.

Screen randomly freezes for short periods then corrects itself?????

pinch to zoom is laggy

back button is laggy (may be related to data/wifi issue)

about 1/3 of my text messages don't send. I don't have the greatest signal in the rural mountains of north ga BUT if I have 3 bars showing and can talk I should be able to send text yeah? This could be a carrier issue I know but it adds to the annoyance.

So my question is, are these things that plague newer windows phones or did vzw just send me a lemon? I have seen posts about the data issue enough to know this is a common theme with this phone. I am wondering if anyone has the HTC 8X and the 822 and if the HTC seems to operate more solidly. This phone is going back due to the headphone jack issue. I'm just trying to decide whether to give the 822 another shot or just bug out to a different phone altogether. Comments/recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,

Jamie

There are some things about the interface that drive me buggy like not being able to edit a contacts info that imported from FB.

Last edited:

EMan3100

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
The 822 is my first personal smart phone and have had it since it was first available. Here is my experience in regards to yours:

Data connection loss; both LTE and WiFi: Don't have this issue.

Youtube video problems; it may be the app that sux but I also have problems when I go straight to the site. It has been years since I have seen youtube buffer (and no my broadband connection is fine) We have experimented with a nexus and iphone running the same video while the 822 is "opening" in the middle of videos. I also get lots of this device can't play this video errors: I don't use the app, seen your issues but not enough for me to be an issue.

headphone jack malfunction: at level 30 can barely hear. External speakers are plenty loud and I tried 3 different headphone sets all which work fine on othe devices.: Funny I have the opposite problem. Headphones are great external speakers I can barely hear.

Screen randomly freezes for short periods then corrects itself?????: Never had a freeze, or I have never have seen it.

pinch to zoom is laggy: Not on mine, same as my works BB 9930, and my wife's iPhone 5.

back button is laggy (may be related to data/wifi issue): This one does frustrate me, it will some time zoom out to show all the "tabs / screens" opened.

about 1/3 of my text messages don't send. I don't have the greatest signal in the rural mountains of north ga BUT if I have 3 bars showing and can talk I should be able to send text yeah? This could be a carrier issue I know but it adds to the annoyance.: Don't have this issue.

There are some things about the interface that drive me buggy like not being able to edit a contacts info that imported from FB. Amen to that one I wish they could fix this.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
So you have every problem under the sun and that comprises your first post? I am sorry but I am always suspicious on any forum when this is the route to introducing oneself. If this is all true then the first response pretty much sums it up - you got a lemon and should exchange it. BTW, I have had none of the problems you describe....

jambaugh

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So you have every problem under the sun and that comprises your first post? I am sorry but I am always suspicious on any forum when this is the route to introducing oneself. If this is all true then the first response pretty much sums it up - you got a lemon and should exchange it. BTW, I have had none of the problems you describe....

Yes, unfortunately, my first post was all about the multiple problems with my 822. And, yes my phone is having all of those problems. I am really not a forum kind of girl. I read lots of them but rarely post and only when I don't see the answers I am looking for. (except in my old crackberry days)

I'm not sure what there is to be suspicious about. I didn't jump on here and say "horrible phone" or give some buyer beware warning. I listed my difficulties and asked if they were common or IF I GOT A LEMON. I in no way implied that ALL 822's were problematic. I see that some people are having data issues and many of the other things going on with my phone could be attributed to said issue. I thought I would check and see if anyone else had experienced some of the other issues as things like screen freezes can pop up after certain app instalations (on android devices anyway) and the fix is very simple.

I remember the original bb storm had so many little issues and it was a nightmare on the phones manufactured in certain areas (luckily for me, my storm was pretty much flawless until the mic died after 18 months) but I had many discussion with others who had "every problem under the sun" so I HAVE heard of phones being this buggy out of the box.

I do a lot of reading and comparing phones before I decide what to buy as a primary phone. I came back to Windows because I thought I would enjoy the UI and for the most part I do. The phone is still under warranty and I can simply do a warranty replacement if the feed back I get says you got a lemon but if I get a lot of "yeah I have this problem too" then I may opt for a different choice in phones. I asked specifically about the 8X because it is the other windows phone on my carrier and if I choose to avoid the data issue which does seem common, I would like to stay with the windows 8 UI. Someone please explain to me how that is suspicious?

I am grateful for the feed back so far. :)

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Your post isn't suspicious at all...I guess some people don't realize forums are for getting help as well as whatever else you want them to be. Nothing wrong with posting up the problems you are having.

I can't say I've had any of those problems myself, so I'd say return the phone for another.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I'd agree with those who say it's probably a lemon, but some of it may also be your location. I've had an 822 more than a month with none of the problems you're seeing, but I'm in Boston. Posts on this forum suggest some problems are more common when signals are weak or dicey, but that would be more likely to explain LTE dropout than WiFi.

jambaugh

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'd agree with those who say it's probably a lemon, but some of it may also be your location. I've had an 822 more than a month with none of the problems you're seeing, but I'm in Boston. Posts on this forum suggest some problems are more common when signals are weak or dicey, but that would be more likely to explain LTE dropout than WiFi.

I've had that thought about the text problem. Even though we don't get the greatest signal up here, this phone gives me the best radio signal I have seen in a long long time and up here that is something to do cartwheels over, I tried to blame it on my broad band until I couldnt duplicate it on any other device. I don't get 4g at the house. That priviledge is restricted to when I go to town :) I do seem to be having more trouble than the average bear and I know that with so many phones rolling out, a few of them are just gonna have some problems so I think my best recourse is to get a new one under warranty. I don't know if it makes a difference but this is my first "mid-level device" the hardware is certainly on par with a lot of flagship phones so I doubt it.

A new issue for me now is that because I ordered over the phone with VZW (there was an issue with my upgrade showing up) I can't do a swap at a store and am heading out on a 10 hour drive Christmas Eve and need a reliable phone for the trip with reliable navigation. VZW can't get a replacement phone to me before then obviously but I CAN go to the coporate store and exchange for a different model (how does that make sense?) So, I have to think long and hard about that one. Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Last edited:

scolab

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I'd go with LEMON too. I've had my 822 since two days after release and it's been flawless. I was demonstrating the incredible headphone sound to some people last night with a little AC/DC and they were blown away by the depth of the sound with enhanced audio...both iPhone users.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Lemon. Mine has not had any of those issues. Welcome to the forum!

As for exchanging, they won't exchange it in the store because you bought it over the phone? That's weird. Maybe exchange for an 8X for your time away and see if you can then re-exchange for the 822? I know that sounds like a pain, but it would give you a reliable phone and an opportunity to try the other phone available.

phantom404

May 14, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried a factory reset of the phone? It seemed like I was having odd issues here and there and then decided to do a reset and it seemed to clear a bunch of not all them up.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster