My Review of the OtterBox for the Lumia 822

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I copied this from the review that I submitted to the OtterBox web site:

I've never used an OtterBox before, so this was new to me - a case with a built-in screen protector? I was hesitant, but I was glad to see that the Verizon store had it in stock, so I could see it on the phone before buying it. Otherwise, I probably would not have bought it.

First off, there's a hard plastic case that goes around the phone. That has the screen protector built-in. Make sure the inside of that, and the outside of your phone are CLEAN. You don't want anything between them. Especially the screen. I even went so far as to put a screen protector on the phone first. Once that snaps on, you put the rubber outer case on. The trick that I've learned is that you have to put the side on with the buttons first, otherwise you WILL have trouble lining up the buttons of the case with the buttons of the phone, and you will end up missing that once-in-a-lifetime photo.

I wish they'd done a better job of design on the buttons. It is a pain getting the buttons of the case lined up with the buttons of the phone. Seems to me like all they needed to do was make the rubber of the inner side of the "button" wider so it won't slip off or miss the phone's button, as does seem to happen at times, and it can be quite frustrating. The question comes up, "Does my case need to be realigned, or did my phone freeze up?" (When you're an early adopter, and get a phone before that first update comes out for a new OS, this can happen!). Once you have it on, and the buttons lined up, the case is great. The buttons do occasionally become misaligned, but for the most part, they stay.

As for protection, Wow, it's great. My phone has hit the concrete and asphalt of my driveway and parking lots numerous times, as I've gotten in and out of my car, and there isn't even a mark on the case. Not a mark. You can't tell at all. This case is awesome when it comes to protection.

The downside of this scenario is that if it weren't for the design of the belt clip, my phone would have never hit those parking lots. I came from a smaller phone, with a smaller case on it, that I was able to drop into a vertical pouch-style belt case, and dropping my phone has never been a problem. But this case won't fit into one of those. It has a belt clip that came with it. It has taken me some getting used to, but rotating it the 360 degrees that it rotates, trying to figure out the best way to carry it, and the best way for ease of putting it on and off the clip as far as how I grab the phone, meant trying a number of positions. In most of those positions, getting in and out of the seat of my car caused the side bolster to knock the phone off the belt clip.

In my opinion, this is not acceptable. If it comes off this easily getting in and out of the car, how easy is it going to be for someone to steal my phone in the mall? Finally, I was able to find a way to hold it securely and still be able to easily grab it and replace it with my hand, and that is horizontally, with the curved hooks down. Not my favorite way to hold a phone, but it works. I think they can still use some work on this, but given how popular they are with the iSheeple, I doubt they're going to listen to a little old Windows Phone person like me..... But if they do, and want me to test new designs in real life, I'm willing.

Overall, I love the case, I'm getting used to the belt clip, but I still think the belt clip could use some improvement. If it's only going to hold the phone securely in one position, I think they should eliminate the 360 degree rotation on the belt clip, as that is just one more point of failure that could occur, and in the past, with other rotating belt clips, that has been a common point of failure. I've even been known to take the rotating belt clip off of a corduroy nylon belt case that I liked, and put on the Niteize heavy duty belt clip from a case that I didn't much care for, but loved the belt clip. Now if Niteize would make cases I liked, or others would start using their clips..... ;)

Pros: Durable, protects like no other
Cons: easily removed from belt clip

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
That being said, last night I ordered an Incipio Feather case for it, and when I get that, I'll go on down to Fry's or Tiger Direct to see what belt cases they have that the combo will fit into, as I really prefer the vertical drop-in style, with a flap over the top. It's just more secure feeling to me, and it's what I've been using for years.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I got the glacier colored otterbox for my 822 this week. I've had no problems with it. The fit is good and I've had no issues with the belt clip holding the phone securely. Hopefully my experience with the otterbox is how it goes for others.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I just picked up the Otterbox myself. I had looked at one on the Verizon website. I found it when I got to the store. I was really torn between the Ott and the Verizon case. I decided on the Ott, since I'll use it without the holster while I'm at work. This is not my first Ott. I love the case, but I do think the holster could have been a bit better designed. The four corner clips the case snaps into is a bit weird to get lined up and snapped in.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I got the glacier colored otterbox for my 822 this week. I've had no problems with it. The fit is good and I've had no issues with the belt clip holding the phone securely. Hopefully my experience with the otterbox is how it goes for others.

I like the look of the glacier colored one myself, but I didn't want to wait on getting one by mail, once I learned that they had one in the store, so I did settle for the black. While I like the white/gray better, I'm not so concerned about color to bother waiting on it. LOL

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I like the look of the glacier colored one myself, but I didn't want to wait on getting one by mail, once I learned that they had one in the store, so I did settle for the black. While I like the white/gray better, I'm not so concerned about color to bother waiting on it. LOL

My phone is white so I wanted to stay close to that color. I hate having to put any kind of case on the phone, to me that defeats the purpose of getting a white phone, but the 822 is so slippery I don't think it would make it two years without a disastrous drop. The glacier otterbox is really nice looking. I am quite pleased with the case overall.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I think the glacier case is pretty attractive looking. I just ordered on of the blue Incipio Feather snap-ons. Less protection than the OtterBox, but I want to try to get back to the vertical belt-case style that I like and have used for years, and with the size of the OtterBox, there's no way that would happen. And I'll be sure to get a belt case with a bit of room in it because when Verizon comes out with a higher end Nokia in the spring, My wife will be getting this phone (I'll have to get a different color battery cover - white - or a pink Feather case for her, though), and I'll be getting the new Nokia, so it'll have to fit that, because I'm too cheap to want to be replacing that again. The one I used for my Trophy is one I had for my Touch Pro II and my Touch Pro, so thankfully when I had the Touch Pro I bought one that had plenty of room in it. LOL.

I don't remember the brand, but I didn't like the rotating clip on it, and I had a Nite Ize case that didn't fit the phone, but I loved the clip, so I took the clip off of the Nite Ize case and had the quality guy at work sew it to the case that fit (I worked in a factory where we built seats for the auto industry - Kia in this case - so the quality department had a heavy duty sewing machine). I'd still be using it, but this phone is just big enough that it doesn't fit.

pavlovscow

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
I have the otter as well. I don't use the clip. The case is great for handing off to the kid. On the flip side any time I show my phone to anyone, they exclaim, "oh it's so big!" Ends up being a bad starting point for converting others to windows phone.

definitely interested in the incipio feather case. Not good for the kid test, but probably less bulky day to day.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I have the otter as well. I don't use the clip. The case is great for handing off to the kid. On the flip side any time I show my phone to anyone, they exclaim, "oh it's so big!" Ends up being a bad starting point for converting others to windows phone.

definitely interested in the incipio feather case. Not good for the kid test, but probably less bulky day to day.

I'd be interested in a side-by-side comparison of the size and bulkiness of the OtterBox and the Trident Aegis. The Trident looks like a good protector, but looks a bit thinner, and a bit more stylish. To be honest, if they'd had the blue in stock at Amazon I probably would have ordered it because I was using a gift card from my boss when I ordered the Feather. I would have ended up with the Feather anyway, because that's what I'm after, but that Trident is rather intriguing.

zigalayho

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I picked up my gray/white otterbox yesterday (three different Verizon stores before I could find one that color), and so far I like it. I, too, was torn between the Verizon holster case and Otter, but finally went with the Otter for max protection. The case does add quite a bit of bulk to the phone, I admit, but it also feels a lot better in the hand. Like others, I knew that the slick back of the white 822 could possibly spell disaster for the future. I may pick up an Incipio in the future just to have something to switch out to and if I get tired of the heft of the Otter for a while. It is mighty bulky on the waist band, too. The holster design does leave a bit to be desired with the four prongs and you have to snap it in just right. I think I'll get used to it in a few days; we'll see.

Edward_g

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
I returned my otterbox. It might be great protection but so is a brief case. I'm back to the Verizon holster and the phone feels so much better to me. Plus it has a kick stand which I like.
This is the only accessory that I've returned and I've got about everything now.
I also picked up an anti glare screen protector from a Verizon Authorized store and its really great. The company stores don't have them.

Last edited:

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just FYI, the Otterbox does have a kickstand - the belt clip latches in the open position if you pull it back far enough. It will work with the phone in landscape or portrait if you turn the clip the right way. I don't have my phone in the OtterBox right now, but I'm thinking that by rotating the clip, you could vary the angle in landscape.

mbar9607

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
i really like my otterbox case, but i do wish they had a commuter case or even get some different color options other than black or glacier. i would like the black shell and gray silicone to match the factory look of my gray lumia, but i think the case is a keeper overall

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss