Verizon, Nokia, 822 & CES

MadDogFL62

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Over the past few days, I have been reading a lot about "Nokia teasing phone innovation...". While some of this news is both tempting and exciting, I find myself keeping my emotions in check by reminding myself: "The stuff I see from Microsoft and Nokia at CES this year will actually be tangible and real when my device and subscription are ready to be renewed in 17 months!" Perhaps not vaporware, but certainly not something that will be out next week - especially in Microsoft's case. (Funny how MS stuff gets leaked even without them at the show.)

Some of the talk about things like quad core processors, will only eat up battery life and not make the phone that much faster (as speed is always at the mercy of network connectivity). Other ideas like flexible screens, etc. are just nonsense to keep one focused on the brand.

Really nothing to be remorseful about in terms of early WP8 ownership and my new 822. Even after CES - I still see this device as the top of the heap. The downside is that the media will continue to kiss AT&T's backside and lick the shoes of the 920. The excitement has worn off and the biased press has gone from boring to annoying. (It reminds me of an election that was held in 2012!) IT WILL be interesting to see what happens this summer when Nokia and HTC give Sprint something to sell. And I am still anxious for specifics on the Surface Phone.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I've been paying loose attention. I stole my dad's upgrade eligibility to get the 822 when it came out and my eligibility is coming up in February. I was hoping for news of round two of WP8 hardware, but I'm tempering my expectations. Besides, if I hold onto my upgrade, I can set it so I always get my dad's and then I'll be able to upgrade every 10 months instead of every 20. :)

MadDogFL62

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I've been paying loose attention. I stole my dad's upgrade eligibility to get the 822 when it came out and my eligibility is coming up in February. I was hoping for news of round two of WP8 hardware, but I'm tempering my expectations. Besides, if I hold onto my upgrade, I can set it so I always get my dad's and then I'll be able to upgrade every 10 months instead of every 20. :)

My Trophy upgrade was up in February of last year. Had to wait until Christmas until VZW came up with anything worth upgrading to!

Raptor007

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I am not necessarily looking for quad core processors, but if MS and the OEM's cannot get real specs into the WP8 devices for round two this will be my last WP period. I like easy to use and how much information is right on the front screen. BUT, 1GB RAM when we should be seeing 2GB, 16GB of Storage when 32GB should be the norm and still more phones without microSD slots than with. I like the quality of the 822, and what Nokia tossed in for apps, but Verizon of course took stuff out. IF they can deliver on some serious hardware for the high end and not simply a Nokia 922 that is nothing more than a Nokia 920 on Verizon then I'm interested, otherwise done.

The OS is great, its easy to use, gets the job done, but they are just lacking in features like no predictive text, no swype keyboard, no high end displays, no big phones other than the rumored Huwawei but that won't come to the US.

MadDogFL62

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
822 is the best available on Verizon. Really hoped for an ATIV S options. NOT the ATIV Oddysey.

I think that the term "watered down" applies here. I believe that Verizon went for something a bit different than the Galaxy so that parts and inventory would not conflict. However, Verizon failed to push for a better phone in general from Samsung (bigger screen, better camera, etc.) for a few reasons. First, Verizon did not want to take away from their own Droid Galaxy sales. Second, I believe that within 90 days, Verizon is going to announce a Nokia phone that will market as a device better than the 920. I don't think they wanted to take away from those sales with a conflicting Samsung device either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs