Differences between the regular Vivo Tab RT and the Intel Atom Vivo Tav RTs? (Also a POLL!)

Which Windows 8 RT tablet are you most interested in? (If Other sound of in the comments!)

• Microsoft Surface for Windows RT

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Asus Vivo Tab RT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jchapman01

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys! I'm trying to figure out what the differences between the VivoTab RT TF600T and the VivoTab ME400C Intel Atom version? Also why someone would choose one or the other? Also do all Vivo Tab RTs come with LTE or just the ones you purchase through AT&T? Also which tablet are you most interested in and why?

Thanks!
jchapman01

Anthonyfear

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
Hey There

I can help with this question. Because I originally had the Vivotab RT, but 'upgraded' it to the Vivotab Smart.

Specification differences are:
Faster, the dual core atom is significantly quicker that the Tegra processor in the RT version. Programs load much quicker and the overall windows expeience is improved with the extra power.
Memory, the Smart comes with 64Gb whereas the RT comes with 32Gb - but both can be upgraded with a micro sd card - but it will appear as a separate drive so it's not just plug and play.

Other differences are cosmetic:
In my opinion the Smart is finished nicer, it has a rubberized back which I think looks nicer and is less likely to scratch than the plastic RT version.

The RT version physically connects to a docking keyboard which also gives you extra battery life (purchased separately - if you can find one), whereas Smart uses bluetooth keyboard so no physical connection - thus less connectors on the bottom of the device.

The RT has a dongle in the box for connecting USB and your charging cable (it's kinda clumsy to use because it sticks out of the bottom) - the Smart uses micro usb which is on the side (better position) and is used for charging. BUT if you want to connect anything USB you'll need to buy a dongle separately (amazon $6).

Of course the biggest difference is the version of Windows:

(in case you don't already know) Windows 8 RT is a version of windows for Arm processors so it WONT run any x86 programs, including things like Windows 8 games in the Xbox Game Store.
But it DOES come with a version of Office (even though that version of Office runs in desktop mode not Metro so it's not ideal on a tablet anyway).

The Smart comes with full Windows 8 so it's fully compatible with all your regular desktop apps from windows, but it doesn't include office so you have to buy that separately.

As a footnote, in my opinion a Windows tablet really NEEDS a case because if your going to use desktop mode for things like Office, then you're going to want a keyboard and possibly mouse too. so you need the case to hold it up. I've had trouble finding anywhere to buy the official Asus Transleeve Covers and Keyboards so that may be a problem.

Also compared to the iPad 3 the Vivotabs are much lighter and thinner, but they do creak and groan a bit as they are not as well made.

Hope my rant helps? DO let me know if you decide to get one - it'll be nice to know I'm no longer alone!

Jeffrey Seymore

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I've had trouble finding anywhere to buy the official Asus Transleeve Covers and Keyboards so that may be a problem.

Hope my rant helps? DO let me know if you decide to get one - it'll be nice to know I'm no longer alone!

The sleeve keyboard thing is said to be in the next month or two from an ASUS rep :(
makes me sad, but better then none.

asus_usa

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Anthonyfear did a great job comparing the main differences between the two tablets. I would say the main, and most important difference, is the processors and what it limits the device to. The ARM based Vivo RT, is limited to programs and apps from the Microsoft App store. You will not be able to download anything from a software CD, USB drive or eve a website. Think of it like a closed-off ecosystem, like the iPad.

The Smart, on the other hand, uses the ATOM processor. The ATOM processor is a little faster, but because it uses this, the tablet is able to install and run legacy software and full Windows 8. You can download and install anything that you would be able to on a regular computer/laptop running Windows 8. It does have an available keyboard, although it is not as nice as the VivoTab RT's hard-connected keyboard that extends the battery life.

There is regular VivoTab (TF810C), that is sort of a combination between the Smart and the RT. It is a little bigger than the RT, and runs full Windows 8 from an Atom processor. Unlike the Smart, there is an available keyboard/docking station available for it.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
the Vivo Tab ME needs all that extra hardware to run full blown Windows 8. The Vivo Tab RT runs Windows RT. Because of this, even though the ME has much more powerful hardware, the two will run about the same speed due to Windows 8 being much more resource needy than Windows RT. RT devices tend to have slightly better battery life, run cooler, and be thinner and/or lighter. The advantage of going full Windows 8 (like on the ME) is that you can run legacy Windows programs while RT devices can only run apps from the included Windows App store.

Jeffrey Seymore

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Are they physically the same? As in could I get a skin/screen protector made for the RT and put it on my Smart? I REALLY want one and no one is making them yet.

livingenzyme

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
Anthonyfear did a great job comparing the main differences between the two tablets. I would say the main, and most important difference, is the processors and what it limits the device to. The ARM based Vivo RT, is limited to programs and apps from the Microsoft App store. You will not be able to download anything from a software CD, USB drive or eve a website. Think of it like a closed-off ecosystem, like the iPad.

Not necessarily. There are people who have already jail broken win rt and succesfully run some legacy apps on rt. It's an ongoing effort. I'm a former programmer, so I'll start helping out with the effort after I've learned a few things.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

The Smart, on the other hand, uses the ATOM processor. The ATOM processor is a little faster, but because it uses this, the tablet is able to install and run legacy software and full Windows 8. You can download and install anything that you would be able to on a regular computer/laptop running Windows 8. It does have an available keyboard, although it is not as nice as the VivoTab RT's hard-connected keyboard that extends the battery life.

There is regular VivoTab (TF810C), that is sort of a combination between the Smart and the RT. It is a little bigger than the RT, and runs full Windows 8 from an Atom processor. Unlike the Smart, there is an available keyboard/docking station available for it.

The Smart should have the keyboard.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb