Verizon trophy: Have you gotten 7.8 yet?

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I just ran the seven eighter and so far so good. I love my new start screen and no lockscreen or other issues. Will have to monitor battery life. This will ease the pain of waiting for my new phone in April.

rsdimba

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
I used Seven-Eighter app and now my 'lock+wallpaper' setting doesn't work. It just flashes and does nothing. The rest of the phone seemed ok. I restored it back to 7.5 until I figure out what went wrong.

Did you install Lumia update by mistake?

Also Verizon Trophy comes with English and Spanish and thus no need to install all other languages. It just chews up the remaining precious little memory. :)

On mine everything works well including Sound Enhancer.
..Ramesh

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Now that the Trophy has been marked for death (EOL..end of life) by Verizon, I urge everyone to vigorously tweet @Microsoft , @VerizonWireless , @HTC and @HTCUSA and "demand" that the 7.8 update be rolled out. There is power in numbers, we have a voice...use it! They can't slap us in the face like this with no penalty, there is no way that I will buy another HTC device if this is how they are going to treat it's customers.

I did my tweeting. Twitter is a rather effective way of getting a response from companies.

Anywho, the holdup seems to be mostly with HTC. I perused all of the HTC "Other Windows Phones" forums on here and I didn't find anyone that had gotten the 7.8 update through the official channel or even the Zune unplug trick. Only from cabs/seven-eighter.

My Trophy has been good, but it's one more reason I want to switch to a Nokia phone. They aren't slicing off a few resources from their Android machine, like HTC, to dabble in Windows Phone. Nokia is all in with WP and it will be nice to feel that love. :angel:

carfreak715

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Just used the Seven-Eighter application, everything is working great. Just make sure you have the most recent updates from Zune before you do anything, and select all the language packs. You should be fine. The first boot will take a bit, so be aware. Overall, nothing I'm having issues with. Will definitely report if I find anything.

Sent from a GNex.

blevok

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
so i ended up using a win7 computer at work to use seven-eighter. i selected all languages, and it worked perfectly. i played with calendar, ie, email, camera, and streamed pandora on wifi all day and didn't encounter any issues. when i got home i synced with zune and everything looks fine, except one thing... zune says i have 2.83gb free, while the about page on the phone says 4.03gb free, which is the same that it showed before updating. not sure if that could cause any problems though. and of course, the backup that was made during the update is on that pc at work, so i need to figure out how to copy it and put it into my zuna at home, or make zune do another backup.

on another note, i got a response back from verizon. there were instructions on how to check the current firmware version (no mention of os version), and this:
"During the software-testing phase, there are many channels of that which will receive them. Once they receive these updates, they are able to test them without affecting our customers' experience. This allows us, and the manufacturer to guarantee that there are no additional bugs, and that the software fixes things and does not cause other issues after implementation."
"Software updates are released in waves and not every device gets the update at the same time. If your device is in need of an update please allow a few days for this update to be pushed to your device."

i appreciate that they responded to me, but my message to them was specifically centered on the os update, and they responded only with firmware info, and what seems to be a cut and paste response about updates in general.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
So, no one has been able to connect their phone zune and get the update yet ? Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with that yet.. I have a family member who has a factory Trophy (not unlocked) so is the only way to get it the cab method now ?

calypsocowboy

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
Seven eighter seems to work fine for me. I only selected the English and Spanish languages. So far so good. It's amazing how much bigger the Trophy screen seems now without the alley on the side. It's been a good improvement.

brentgee

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
if it's EOL, then they aren't in any hurry to get rid of them. This morning the price on a Trophy with a 2 year contract is $179.99. However, I will let them know I want the 7.8 update since I'm not due for an upgrade for about a year.

chaotikchiken

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I've been checking this thread almost every day and I'm losing my patience lol. My upgrade is in 5 months and almost want to just jump ship to the HTC 8x and ditch this waiting game all together.

If they do release it relatively soon I think I could go a few months before wanting to upgrade again.

jmunchies1

Mar 23, 2012
Visit site
I did the seveneighter route and everything went fine, no issues as I can tell. I only selected US English and Spanish for the language packs.

Tethering was still available and if you are on unlimited data and did the tethering hack, I can confirm that still works.

No issues with the lockscreen either, Bing pictures load up fine.

TheArcaneFlame

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I also used SevenEighter and have updated two Trophy's with it successfully. These were standard Verizon Trophy's that were not unlocked or anything special. Both are working perfectly with 7.8 installed. I have the unlimited data plan on my phone and tethering (hacked) is working just as it did before. Bing wallpapers are working. I've also noticed that the phone seems more responsive. Doing things like turning wireless, Bluetooth and tethering on/off seems quicker than before. I have downloaded apps from the marketplace and that's working just fine as well.

I love the additional control over live tile sizes. This was my main reason for doing the upgrade because with 5 email accounts on the phone, having them all pinned to the start screen was a bit ridiculous before. Now I can have a bunch of my tiles in the small size which saves me a ton of space and makes getting information at a glance that much easier.

Another thing that I didn't really expect is that I lost nothing on the phone through the upgrade process. All my media, apps and settings remained intact which was a relief. I didn't want to have to reload everything.

I would highly recommend updating with the SevenEighter app if you are sick of waiting for 7.8 to officially get pushed out for the Trophy on Verizon.

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I couldn't wait anymore and did the CAB update using Easy Update from xda. Worked like a charm, the program backed up everything before it started, and I didn't lose any data. I couldn't use seven eighter as I don't have anything other than xp machines. Was very easy just had to download the 4 updates and 2 language packs. Everything seems to be working like it is supposed to. The screen does look bigger due to the tiles being larger. I'm very happy with it and will be upgrading my wife's phone tonight.

Edit: looking again, I don't have sound enhancer. Never used it before, but maybe I used the wrong cab. Can someone post a link to the thread with the trophy specific one?

blevok

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Edit: looking again, I don't have sound enhancer. Never used it before, but maybe I used the wrong cab. Can someone post a link to the thread with the trophy specific one?

i can also confirm that sound enhancer is gone after using seven-eighter. i never used it before, but i know that it was there before, and now it's not.

Gungzwei

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
i can also confirm that sound enhancer is gone after using seven-eighter. i never used it before, but i know that it was there before, and now it's not.

Sound enhancer is an HTC specific add on. The fact that it isn't in the 7.8 update leads me to believe that HTC hasn't and probably won't release an official version. :unhappy:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaviSmalle