Strange 'Other' storage issue

EdmundJC

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
I just got a Lumia 822 the other day, and went to throw all my music on it. I plugged it in, and my machine (win7x64) detected it as a USB Mass Storage Device, and assigned it a drive letter. I ignored the 'Get the Windows Phone App' message, and proceeded to dump a load of music onto the freshly detected drive letter. I find out later, that the phone is not supposed to show up as a drive letter. I'm guessing this was a fluke. Not a big deal, or so I thought.

I now have an issue. The phone itself did not recognize the music I had placed on it, and it apparently is now quantified in the 'Other' category, taking up 3.9GB of space, with no apparent way to get rid of it.

Is there a way to free up this space? I'd rather avoid wiping the phone altogether if possible, but recovering that space is worth it if it must be done.

Thanks!

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
You won't lose your contacts and you won't lose your apps. You also won't lose your text messages or any pictures or documents saved to skydrive and/or SD card. You will lose your tile arrangement on the start screen, and you will lose a few settings - but most are saved. Your apps will automatically all redownload as soon as your phone comes back from the restore... any apps no longer on the marketplace will not restore. Those will be gone. You will also lose ALL configuration from apps and any saves you have in those apps - unless they connect to an external database to save them with a username/password or something. If you decide to go through with it, ensure to go into backup and create a current backup of your app list+settings, ensure everything else is turned on.

For my personal usage, a hard reset is only a very minor inconvenience. I've exchange my 810 three times and did an individual hard reset two times on my most recent one... that's five restores. The biggest impact to me was the loss of my banking app (USAA) since my bank has abandoned WP and pulled their app from WP8 marketplace... and the loss of iHeartRadio, since they are taking their sweet time updating their app since they pulled it from WP8 marketplace. Both those apps were pulled right before I got my last device :(

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
One other note for "Resetting" - make note of any games that you have/had. They do not reload when the phone comes back, although the store doesn't charge you again for what you purchased. Also, if you have "favorites" stored for where you Nokia Drive, they do not reload, so you may want to write them down as well. I did a bunch of screenshots of the Start Page and the App List. I actually did have a couple of apps that did not come back and they were still available in the store.
Music on this phone is a must fix - funny that Zune/WP7.x handled this far better. My wife got the Red 822 for Valentine's day and she is upset about having trouble loading her WP7 playlists.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a Verizon Nokia Lumia 822. Is it true that "Other" will free up space as space is needed? I have 13GB of internal memory used and 6GB of it is "Other". When will it free up? Are there other solutions for the 822 besides hard resetting?

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I have a Verizon Nokia Lumia 822. Is it true that "Other" will free up space as space is needed? I have 13GB of internal memory used and 6GB of it is "Other". When will it free up? Are there other solutions for the 822 besides hard resetting?

I have read it somewhere (not sure where now :S) that "Other" can be related to a ton of content on SkyDrive. In other words - let's say you have a lot of photos in SkyDrive camera roll. The phone actually downloads thumbnails for quick viewing. Supposedly the best workaround for that is to create additional albums in SkyDrive and organize your photos that way rather than having just a single folder for all of the photos, ever.

Even then, "other" might take a few days to clear. There is some sort of schedule when "Other" gets cleaned up.

I read it on the Internet so YMMV. :)

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I have read it somewhere (not sure where now :S) that "Other" can be related to a ton of content on SkyDrive. In other words - let's say you have a lot of photos in SkyDrive camera roll. The phone actually downloads thumbnails for quick viewing. Supposedly the best workaround for that is to create additional albums in SkyDrive and organize your photos that way rather than having just a single folder for all of the photos, ever.

Even then, "other" might take a few days to clear. There is some sort of schedule when "Other" gets cleaned up.

I read it on the Internet so YMMV. :)
One of the first things I did when I got my 822 was disable SkyDrive photo syncing. I also got rid of some of the maps for Here Drive/Maps and since then my "other" has stayed around 1 GB. I've also read that clearing the IE cache can help some if you use the browser a lot.

Edit: I've begun to notice that every time I take a video the "other" grows in size even though I have SkyDrive syncing disabled.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon