Comparing My 822 to My GS3

gpstrucker

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
After using my shiny new Lumia 822 I have some impressions comparing and contrasting the 822 with my Galaxy S3. Firstly, the obvious: the screen on the 822 is smaller. Not enough to make a huge difference, but it's noticeable. I won't bother with the obvious app differences.

That aside, here are some things I have noticed. Bear in mind that these are only my personal impressions and observations and impressions and not a technical review.

Build quality: The GS3 has always seemed a bit fragile to me. It's tall and fairly thin. I surrounded it with a heavy duty case to protect it. The 822, on the other hand, feels solid in my hand. I put a basic blue silicon case on it.

Screen: The screen on the GS3 is larger, but the screen on the 822 just looks better to me. The colors on the 822 are brighter, as is the screen in general. I have a hard time seeing the GS3 screen in sunlight, but have little trouble seeing the 822 screen under the same conditions.

Sound: This is a huge difference, Playing music or a speaker call on the GS3 sounds like crap and can be hard to hear; not so with the 822. I was playing songs on the 822 today and it was nice and loud, easy to hear, and sounded reasonably good, Music through the GS3 speakers was always a waste of effort.

Bluetooth: Wow, what a difference! As I drive a truck, which can be really noisy, I use the loudest Bluetooth headsets available, and are made especially for the trucking industry. That said, the sound from the GS3 via Bluetooth was always not quite loud enough. With the 822, I find myself having to lower the volume as it comes through the same headset at a MUCH louder volume.

Radio: Here is the one thing where the GS3 seems to be better. In places where the GS3 gets a very solid LTE connection the 822 gets a weak connection or none at all. It needs a better radio.

Keyboard: I really, really miss Swype.

Battery: The 822 battery lasts a bit longer than that in the GS3.

The operating systems are obviously different. They both have their positives and negatives, but I am really liking the overall feel of WP8. I love the live tiles. I can't understand people complaining about the need for a central notification area as the lock screen and live tiles do a great job of that.

I do miss getting G+ notifications, but I can check those easily enough via the browser. It is a bit of an adjustment.

All in all, there are far more positives with regard to the 822 than negatives, as compared to the GS3. I am, so far, very pleased with the 822.

Teeb omus

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Great to hear. I would agree that:
1. the sound is excellent(if the 8X is supposed to be better I can't imagine how good it sounds),
2. screen is much better than one would expect from it "specs". Shows how much that really matters.
3. My wife's android has Swipe and I cannot bring myself like it. maybe I am using it wrong.
4. Regarding the notification center, I think there are some who legitimately would like to have it, while others want it to satisfy their "spec war" needs.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
We all have different experiences but I personally find the 822 to only be outdone by my old HTC TouchPro in terms of being the worst phone I have ever owned. Other than the screen and battery life, my experience would be negative across the board when comparing even to the HTC Trophy (rather than anyone's current generation phone). I'd call Bluetooth in particular an Achilles heel since there are so many complaints on that front but that would imply it had some strengths on some other front. Just my opinion but this is the first phone since the old TouchPro that I have gone out of my way to tell people not to buy.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
We all have different experiences but I personally find the 822 to only be outdone by my old HTC TouchPro in terms of being the worst phone I have ever owned. Other than the screen and battery life, my experience would be negative across the board when comparing even to the HTC Trophy (rather than anyone's current generation phone). I'd call Bluetooth in particular an Achilles heel since there are so many complaints on that front but that would imply it had some strengths on some other front. Just my opinion but this is the first phone since the old TouchPro that I have gone out of my way to tell people not to buy.
everyone is entitled to their opinion. There happens to be alot people who love the 822. Please do not generalize your experience. Just because you didn't get a good experience doesn't mean no one else will.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
The 822 is a solid phone. The only reason I don't have it still is due to bugs and glitches. I now have an 8X and I like it better. In my opinion both phones are quality devices, even though both have their flaws.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
After using all the different platforms except Apple I found WP to be the most productive IMO. The runner up would be my old BlackBerry Bold 9930 but as we all know they are on their way out.

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
the sound is excellent(if the 8X is supposed to be better I can't imagine how good it sounds)

The 8X's sound quality is the best I've ever heard on any device. I use it as my main music player because of it (replaced my Zune HD). However, it would help if Xbox Music was better 😪

HillBillJr

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Agree with the OP comments on GSIII although my WP8 is a Lumia 920. Also, I like the email on Windows Phone 8 better than GSIII. People hub is sweet too.

ultralight23

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
Yup, I miss you Swype. New to wp8 and took me about a week to realize no 3rd party keyboards. No problem after reading up on the shortcuts though funny I still find myself dragging my finger starting to spell words.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
Great write up. :) I'm about to go the other way myself. I'm getting a Razr Maxx to replace my 822. Of course it will all be moot as soon as I get my Z10 from BlackBerry. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos