To 822 or not 822

smontoya2

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I am eagerly awaiting to experience the greatness of WP8. I have an upgrade available but rumors speculate of the 920 variant to arrive soon on Verizon but no official date yet. Now I'm questioning myself if I should buy the 822 off contract / upgrade to satisfy my hunger or continue to hold onto my upgrade until the "Laser" device is officially released.

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
If it were me I would wait. Back in November when I got my 822 it was free (at Walmart) with a $100 Walmart gift card, and that put me over the edge. I really like the phone, but I would wait if I was shopping now.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
I'd recommend waiting for the time being. Do not be surprised if something new hits the last week of March, right before Easter weekend. VZW tends to make a big sales pitch around that time.

The 928 is coming. The dates are never firm until they announce - and Verizon is making sure Nokia is providing plenty of stock because once they get this one, they are going to blow the roof off in the marketing department.

The 928 is the "IT" phone for Verizon going into the summer, moreso than the Galaxy S4. They'll carry that, but look for the displays in store and the website to push the 928 even moreso. The 822 will continue to get a strong push as well. Not sure when updated 8xx will hit - and Verizon may be getting the 41MP Pureview first as well.

The tiering may be $0 for the 822, $100 for the 928, and $200 for the Catwalk, all aluminum frame with high MP sensor.

Twice Born

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Ooh. I hope it's only 100 for the 928. I really didn't want to spend more than that, and I am really interested in getting the 920 variant.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I ended up getting one off ebay for really cheap (the screen has an edge-to-edge crack right above the capacitive buttons - basically where your fingers never go, and not impacting it's use at all). My upgrade is available 3/26 and I've had my eye set on the red 822. The one I have is now is white, and is a little slicker than I would like, but I haven't dropped it. My Pre 2 was starting to chew through battery power randomly (95% to 14% in 10 minutes on one occasion), so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I love this phone. With Proshot this camera takes very good pictures (point and shoot worthy). It's smooth, and I have an 8GB microSD card in it for music and pictures.

The phone just feels great in the hand and feels better in my pocket than the Pre 2 did. I will probably wait and see, though, what Verizon has up its sleeve before I get my upgrade phone and sell the white one on ebay. If I were you, unless you could do what I did and find one cheap to hold you over, I would wait just to make sure. I'm not sure if I would go with a 928 or not. I'd have to compare sizes and such, and I love the screen on this phone, even though it wasn't as sharp as the 8X.

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
It a personal preference on which one you want but as far as the 822 goes its a great device! Remember the 928 is a larger device compared to the 822.

ultralight23

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
It a personal preference....Remember the 928 is a larger device compared to the 822.

This is the reason I didn't get the 920, because of the size, which I would've gladly switched to att (I do have Uverse) just to get the 920...just too big for my hands. Screen dpi, floating lens and size are the main differences with 822 and the 920 (or the 928). I'm completely satisfied with my 822 (at least for the next 6 months - year).

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
and Verizon may be getting the 41MP Pureview first as well.

Guess it's good I've gone for the NL920 then! Since we'll be looking at a fair while before it comes out in the UK. I'm waiting for 18 months anyway (think I'm going to be moving to an 18-month upgrade cycle). But this is great news. We need a massive hit on VZW.

The 928 is coming. The dates are never firm until they announce - and Verizon is making sure Nokia is providing plenty of stock because once they get this one, they are going to blow the roof off in the marketing department.

Woohoo! So $1'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000 spent on marketing this device! In all seriousness though, I hope they do this. It would be great to see WP8 get a big push.

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Woohoo! So $1'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000'000 spent on marketing this device! In all seriousness though, I hope they do this. It would be great to see WP8 get a big push.

Verizon has done a fair amount on US TV with the 822 and a bit less with the 8X. That's a big reason why the 822 appears to have become the top selling WP8 device in the US. But they plan on doing an even bigger campaign in the future, coordinating with Nokia and MS. There are two big pushes prior to the Fall. One is during the Easter season - most of the month of April. The other begins in mid-June through July as a lot of students heading off to school get new phones and new computers then. Microsoft has worked with Verizon on the possibility of launching packages that includes touchscreen laptops/convertibles and WP8 devices with LTE access at reduced rates as part of their back to school push. Don't know if that'll happen, but the VZW people are talking with them about it.

smontoya2

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all for your insight. After alot of self inflicted grief I'm willing to hold on to my upgrade until the 928 releases & maybe buy a used inexpensive 822 on eBay if nothings announced by the end of this month. Thanks WPC Peeps.

Shantanu Kongara

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
If a high res screen and better camera are something that you would prefer along with paying 99$ to 149$ for the 920 variant, then you should probably wait.
I suspect a April to May availability based on the exclusivity deal ATT has with Nokia for the 920.
Based on my usage patterns and expectations from a device, the 822 was the perfect fit for me. Plus I dint want to pay for a phone either.
Free on contract for a 822 is just a stellar deal in my opinion.

gzlesk

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Hold off and wait. Youll be really happy when you get that nice new aluminum body lumia thats one of the best smartphones on the market.

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I am eagerly awaiting to experience the greatness of WP8. I have an upgrade available but rumors speculate of the 920 variant to arrive soon on Verizon but no official date yet. Now I'm questioning myself if I should buy the 822 off contract / upgrade to satisfy my hunger or continue to hold onto my upgrade until the "Laser" device is officially released.

Just to give a different perspective, I would pass on the 822 regardless of whether there is another phone on the horizon. This is the first phone since the HTC Touch Pro that I actively advise people to avoid. It and the Touch Pro are the two worst smartphones I have ever owned. About the only thing I list in its favor is battery life. Portico fixed some of the crashes and the Bluetooth no longer freezes when I get in my car, but Bluetooth is still more primitive than even the implementation in my old HTC Trophy. Dropped connections, other signal problems, reception that occasionally has people telling that it sounds like I am talking from the other end of a hallway make up only a condensed list of flaws. I am also not alone in making these complaints. Yes, some have handsets that work very well but others list all the same issues as I have it. Since I do not like the 8x form factor and I would never buy an Android device, if I had a chance to choose again, I would bite my lip and buy an iPhone. Portico did bring some improvements but from my perspective, it pulled the phone up from embarrassing and borderline useless to just really bad. Individual mileage will vary but you do run the risk of getting one of the dogs, and then getting locked into the wonderful world of VZW refurbished replacements....

Mr. MacPhisto

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
Just to give a different perspective, I would pass on the 822 regardless of whether there is another phone on the horizon. This is the first phone since the HTC Touch Pro that I actively advise people to avoid. It and the Touch Pro are the two worst smartphones I have ever owned. About the only thing I list in its favor is battery life. Portico fixed some of the crashes and the Bluetooth no longer freezes when I get in my car, but Bluetooth is still more primitive than even the implementation in my old HTC Trophy. Dropped connections, other signal problems, reception that occasionally has people telling that it sounds like I am talking from the other end of a hallway make up only a condensed list of flaws. I am also not alone in making these complaints. Yes, some have handsets that work very well but others list all the same issues as I have it. Since I do not like the 8x form factor and I would never buy an Android device, if I had a chance to choose again, I would bite my lip and buy an iPhone. Portico did bring some improvements but from my perspective, it pulled the phone up from embarrassing and borderline useless to just really bad. Individual mileage will vary but you do run the risk of getting one of the dogs, and then getting locked into the wonderful world of VZW refurbished replacements....

I am one of three people in my family that have an 822. We use the phone with Bluetooth in our vehicles - no problems. No issues with restarts, etc.

I don't see this forum filled with people having problems. It has a rating equal to the Galaxy SIII and a higher rate of recommendation on Verizon's website. I believe that it and the S3 are tied for second place behind the iPhone as the best reviewed phones and the 822 is the second highest when it comes to percentage of people recommending it.

The phone is excellent. No dropped connections or signal problems. If you have a lemon then I see no reason why you don't ask Nokia to replace it. You don't have to go through Verizon giving you replacements. Nokia has been excellent in supporting their products, at least from the reports of those who have had issues.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site

In all honesty...please stop "actively" telling people to avoid this phone. I've seen people who got iPhones that had tons of issues. All makers have duds. Just because your luck was bad doesn't mean everyone will have this luck. Mine plays and syncs to my car radio without issues. Very smooth and better than either of my webOS devices. This phone has worked flawlessly for me, despite being bought off ebay with a solid edge to edge crack, meaning it was dropped at some point.

I just don't understand how a handful of defective units, which turns into a chorus on a forum, equals a bad phone. I'd like to know one phone that doesn't have forum threads, somewhere on the net, where there aren't a bunch of people complaining about how bad their phone is for some reason or another involving actual functionality.

shloime

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I'd recommend waiting for the time being. Do not be surprised if something new hits the last week of March, right before Easter weekend. VZW tends to make a big sales pitch around that time.

The 928 is the "IT" phone for Verizon going into the summer, moreso than the Galaxy S4. They'll carry that, but look for the displays in store and the website to push the 928 even moreso. The 822 will continue to get a strong push as well. Not sure when updated 8xx will hit - and Verizon may be getting the 41MP Pureview first as well.

The tiering may be $0 for the 822, $100 for the 928, and $200 for the Catwalk, all aluminum frame with high MP sensor.

a question 4 mr. mc phisto: the 41 mp pureview is coming at the end of march together with the 928?

mlcooper54

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
stephen_az - You've been badmouthing the 822 a lot. I'm sorry you had a bad experience. The overwhelming customer response, me included, is that its an exceptional phone. I had some problems with it at first...lock-ups, re-boots, etc. that happened after I installed a 64 GB Sandisk card. I replaced the card and all my 822 problems went away. I don't want people reading this thread that are thinking about getting an 822 to think its a bad phone. Its not. You had an unusual experience. Just read the reviews on wpcentral, Verizon, and Amazon. The L822 is exceptional. The only thing missing, for some, is the IS camera. I personally have a Nikon D300 with a bunch of high-power lenses for my photography. I don't need an exceptional phone-camera.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes