Qi Wireless Charging "Slim" Mod for Lumia 810

xtsubarublazin

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for this mod. It's great. I just executed it last night. Took me a few tries to get the charging pad perfectly aligned to the four pins on the phone but I finally got it. I also had purchased some cheap cases from eBay, but they only fit on the original shell, so now I can use them. The best part is, even with one of the cases on, I can still wirelessly charge the phone with the same charging rates as before.

PanthersDen

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
If anyone is interested:
The same thing works with the Lumia 820.
I transplanted the wireless charging elements of a thick cyan wireless charging shell onto a thin white non wireless charging shell.
Naturally the case has become a bit tighter now, but everythings works fine.

How did you fit the 820 onto the 810 shell? The 820 charging pins are on the bottom while it's on the side on the 810's. Can you post some pics of how you fit it? I'm thinking of doing this too using the 820.

*edit: oh, you mean you went from thick 820 to thin 820 case don't you?

Last edited:

pizzaboy192

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. I just won an 810 on eBay. Gonna miss my WiFi calling (gonna keep my 521 for that until someone finds how to sideload the WiFi calling from it)

Did some digging, the 810 charging shells are almost impossible to find, but there's These buggers for the SGS3, 4 and Note. I'm thinking of picking up one that most resembles the layout of the 810's charging pins, and slapping it in. Should save me a few bucks and won't make me feel bad about ripping apart a rare accessory.

Ideas?

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone. I just won an 810 on eBay. Gonna miss my WiFi calling (gonna keep my 521 for that until someone finds how to sideload the WiFi calling from it)

Did some digging, the 810 charging shells are almost impossible to find, but there's These buggers for the SGS3, 4 and Note. I'm thinking of picking up one that most resembles the layout of the 810's charging pins, and slapping it in. Should save me a few bucks and won't make me feel bad about ripping apart a rare accessory.

Ideas?

You can get Nokia Lumia 810 original charging shells here Nokia Repair Parts - Nokia Lumia 810 (T-Mobile Version) - Parts4repair.Com
about $30. incl shipping

pizzaboy192

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Looks like the only one with wireless charging is the one out of stock.

Can anyone with a wireless charging shell toss just the shell on the charging mat and probe it with a multimeter? I want to see if I can make my own QI one (seen people do the same mod with Palm systems, but I haven't seen a 4 pin one)

No they all do only the cyan is out of stock, I emailed them and asked if all have the Qi pad and they said yes,
it's just the picture that doesn't have it. Email them and ask.

But if you bothered to read you'd see:

Back Cover for Nokia Lumia 810 (T-Mobile) -Black
Need a good quality back cover for Nokia Lumia 810
This is a replacement for Nokia Lumia 810 (T-Mobile), When you have a damaged back cover,
you need it to replace. it comes with side keys + wireless charging
and
Back Cover for Nokia Lumia 810 (T-Mobile) -Gray
This is a replacement for Nokia Lumia 810 (T-Mobile),When you have a damaged back cover,
you need it to replace.it comes with side keys + wireless charging.

pizzaboy192

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
No they all do only the cyan is out of stock, I emailed them and asked if all have the Qi pad and they said yes,

This is a replacement for Nokia Lumia 810 (T-Mobile), When you have a damaged back cover,
and
This is a replacement for Nokia Lumia 810 (T-Mobile),When you have a damaged back cover,

Thanks for pointing that out. I checked the link last night before sleeping in preparation for my first day of classes this semester and didn't notice it. I'll see what I can do in terms of ordering it, depending on funds. =)

pizzaboy192

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

and

Placed an order yesterday. Got this email today.
"
This is Fiona from Cell phone parts one stop shop - Parts4repair.com. We are not sure the exact date of the Back Cover for Nokia Lumia 810 (T-Mobile) -Black would available. We are very sorry for any inconvenience. We would appreciate it if you could wait one more week. If it still not available at that time, we'd like to give you a refund. How do you think?

I will let you know, as soon as the goods is ready for shipment. Thanks very much for your patience and your understanding.

"

Wonderful. Guess I'll wait for a pinout from someone.

paperchasin

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Just did this mod and it should be noted that there is a noticeable bulge now where the charging coil sits inside the cover. It is also a little more difficult to snap the cover back into place because of the added bulge.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Just did this mod and it should be noted that there is a noticeable bulge now where the charging coil sits inside the cover. It is also a little more difficult to snap the cover back into place because of the added bulge.

Most don't put on the little foam insulation pad, did you ?

paperchasin

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Most don't put on the little foam insulation pad, did you ?

Nope. The insulation pad was not re-used. Overall, the mod works fine. I charged it overnight without any issue. But being picky about my stuff, I couldn't stand the bulge, so I removed the cover and re-installed a spare original charging cover.

Last edited:

pizzaboy192

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
Nope. The insulation pad was not re-used. Overall, the mod works fine. I charged it overnight without any issue. But being picky about my stuff, I couldn't stand the bulge, so I removed the cover and re-installed a spare original charging cover.

I'll buy the butchered one off you. I can't find these things anywhere! and my fatboy charging pillow is in today! =(

markdotinc

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I purchased the gray back cover; it has no wireless charging. I already moved and didn't get to check for a month because i had to replace my charger, so I won't bother calling them out on their BS.

I'm going to try to get a cheap 820 wireless charging shell and hack the coil onto my gray shell (I'm getting sick of cyan). The actual coil itself should be compatible as long as the pins connect at the right places, right?

and

pizzaboy192

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I purchased the gray back cover; it has no wireless charging. I already moved and didn't get to check for a month because i had to replace my charger, so I won't bother calling them out on their BS.

I'm going to try to get a cheap 820 wireless charging shell and hack the coil onto my gray shell (I'm getting sick of cyan). The actual coil itself should be compatible as long as the pins connect at the right places, right?

I had the same thing happen. I paid with PayPal and opened a dispute, took two months of back & forth between them, PayPal and me, they offered a $6 refund via email, and then a $3 refund via PayPal. I rejected both and escalated the case via PayPal and got a full refund from them. found black cases on ebay for $30 around the same time, so I jumped in those.

as for Modding an 820, it should work. the only pin that is a positive power pin is the "top" pin inside. the middle top is ground, and 2 communicating pins.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

Ands yes they did tell me if it says it, it does have it but...
I guess I would have considered that the picture clearly shows it without a Qi pad and contacted them and AGAIN said
I see a discrepancy in the photo compared to the description, could you clarify... The blue one I had until I sold it had the Qi pad.
Why not send them a email with a picture of the piece you bought comparing it to their copy ?

nokia_lumia_810_back_cover_01__89528_1370423670_1280_1280.jpg

mjaiteh

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Can anyone confirm that this is working with no side effects? Switching my case back and forth is getting kind annoying....

xtsubarublazin

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that the 810 wireless charging mod is still working perfectly for me about three months into use. Charges with the same speed, discharges the same, works the same, all is well. Hell, I even got it to charge wirelessly through my cheap eBay cases.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I hope to try this with my lumia 720 soon, anyone tried with 720?
No disrespect intended but
This is an 810 forum it's a T Mobile USA branded phone you won't have a lot of 720 owners if any here.
98% of 810 owners are from North America the 720 isn't even sold in North America, but your welcome to hope someone responds :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)