Is there free wireless hotspot for Lumia 822?

Ltauhmise

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone.

New to the forums. Just curious if there's a free wifi hotspot app to make the nokia Lumia 822 share its 4G connection to other devices. Currently on unlimited data plan for Verizon, not looking to switch to a share everything plan. Would anyone happen to know if there's a feature for this on Windows Mobile 8 like there is on Android and IOS? Much appreciated! thanks!

bigboy29

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Nope, don't think so. You need a plan from VZW for it to turn on. Not sure if there is a custom ROM out there that has it (shrug!)

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
That's a negative ghost rider. Your only other option besides the share everything plan with Verizon, is to pay them $20/month for 2GB of mobile hotspot.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Does Verizon charge to turn on the hotspot feature? I called them to turn on my Trophy as a hotspot and they never charged me any extra when I was on the unlimited data. Now I'm on a family share plan and I have it turned on with no extra cost.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Does Verizon charge to turn on the hotspot feature? I called them to turn on my Trophy as a hotspot and they never charged me any extra when I was on the unlimited data. Now I'm on a family share plan and I have it turned on with no extra cost.
Right, it's included on any of their share everything plans. If they didn't charge you before, it must've been a mistake on their part. Like I said, I had unlimited and had to pay the $20/month for the 2GB of hotspot.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Probably the only thing I like about the shared data plans is the included hotspot for each phone. I tether mine a lot so this makes the added cost of the plan worth it.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Yea with the trophy you were able to at no cost so I shocked when I was told that its $20 a month for the 822

The device has nothing to do with it. I had a BB Torch when I was paying those 20 bucks for the mobile hotspot. It's more a sign of the times where companies need to maximize profits to please shareholders.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
You can call VZW and have the hotspot turned on and off as you need it. They will prorate it if you tell them to. Example, we went to the campground the first week of April. I had them turn on the hotspot for the week and she put it in the system to turn off the following Monday automatically.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No, there is no usb tethering with WP. And the FCC doesn't determine whether it's free or not, with exception that it was part of the agreement Verizon has with one of the bands that they bought. They are, however, allowed to charge for tethering if you have an unlimited data plan.

Personally, I'd rather have USB tethering than WiFi tethering. Anytime I tether I connect the phone anyway - I don't want the battery going dead because I was tethering with it. Why make the WiFi radio work harder than it has to?

pgoat06

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
Verizon will run promos for certain phones that include free mobile hotspot. I had this a couple of years back when I had a Palm Pixi Plus.

Blkacesvf41

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Verizon will run promos for certain phones that include free mobile hotspot. I had this a couple of years back when I had a Palm Pixi Plus.

Those days are long gone my friend. Verizon won't give anybody anything for free anymore. When I still had a BlackBerry I could internet tether my PlayBook to it with Bluetooth. It worked, but it was painfully slow. And yes that was free.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
otispit