Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
@b23h
Actually you are correct in the Boost comparison, but you have to remember that T-Mobile's prepaid division is different than their post-paid division... I would be like if you had taken a Boost number to Sprint and then asked for an unlock code. Both companies are Sprint owned, but they are separate entities. Frustrating yes, but it was a pretty accurate description by the service department... Not so much a good explanation of it, but a good stab at it... The basic problem is your 'Monthly 4G account' has one account number and your new 'Simple Choice account' has another. They are right though, once the number is ported, they can't pull up the old Monthly account. Of course, I'm more inclined to think that you are right with the second thought of that they just don't care right now, but that's why they have a new CEO, a new set of affordable plans and they are trying to change... The question is, can they?

@jgbstetson and Guzzler3
It's no Storage Check, download the Phone Storage Cleaner App from the Store... It works wonders on the 810's minimal storage. I usually run it when I get to 3GB and end up with a max of 2GB and usually end up closer to 1.5GB when it is done. Also check for Apps that use up a to of other space - multiple email accounts with 14 day sync, Facebook, Twitter, Nokia Music (with offline stations), Nokia Maps (especially offline content), Amazon Kindle or other e-readers, and the number of contacts synced. All of these drop content in to the "other" folder. By keeping them to a minimum, you can keep more space clear.
Phone Storage Cleanup | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (भारत)

@metalchick719
Good thought on the 1700 frequency thought, but the 920 doesn't have the same 1700MHz AWS frequencies that T-Mobile uses in the international unlocked version. They are the international 1700MHz LTE bands that nobody here uses. Your best bet is to just get an unlocked AT&T one or purchase a factory unlocked one off Amazon or something. The 920 is still under AT&T exclusivity in the US, so the international version may be a bit lower cost short term.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
@metalchick719
Good thought on the 1700 frequency thought, but the 920 doesn't have the same 1700MHz AWS frequencies that T-Mobile uses in the international unlocked version. They are the international 1700MHz LTE bands that nobody here uses. Your best bet is to just get an unlocked AT&T one or purchase a factory unlocked one off Amazon or something. The 920 is still under AT&T exclusivity in the US, so the international version may be a bit lower cost short term.

Yeah, I've been considering getting an unlocked Rogers version. Since I've had my 810, I definitely don't want to go backwards and get anything less than 3G speeds. I'm definitely thinking of waiting until after the 928 and/or Catwalk arrive and the 920 is no longer considered exclusive. Thanks for the tips.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
@b23h
Actually you are correct in the Boost comparison, but you have to remember that T-Mobile's prepaid division is different than their post-paid division... I would be like if you had taken a Boost number to Sprint and then asked for an unlock code. Both companies are Sprint owned, but they are separate entities. Frustrating yes, but it was a pretty accurate description by the service department... Not so much a good explanation of it, but a good stab at it... The basic problem is your 'Monthly 4G account' has one account number and your new 'Simple Choice account' has another. They are right though, once the number is ported, they can't pull up the old Monthly account. Of course, I'm more inclined to think that you are right with the second thought of that they just don't care right now, but that's why they have a new CEO, a new set of affordable plans and they are trying to change... The question is, can they?

My question remains, why not assign a customer number, so that switching between the divisions doesn't result in losing all that data? Even if they are different divisions of the same company, if I were the CEO of T-Mobile I would have done everything in my power to avoid setting up a system like that. If I remembered correctly I did need to reset up my website account information, when I switched. Losing data on your customers, making it so one needs to redo the website even though you ported the same phone number from one division of T-Mobile to another division is not the way to design an internal system. To say that Boost is owned by Sprint is different that if Boost was an internal division of Sprint. I expect the prepaid is an internal division of T-Mobile. If I was setting up T-Mobile I would have needed to be absolutely forced into making decisions like those, and that I do not know is the case.

The way that T-Mobile has organized things from their internal computer system, call in phone system, and of course the industry standard customer service silence reeks to me of bad decisions and amateurish policy and praxis. Unfortunately I find good customer service is unusual, but I have found examples of such. A couple of days ago I wrote a paen to the customer service at Iris USA Shop's facebook page. In the end, just because something is commonly done does not mean it should be, or needs to be that way.

Last edited:

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
@b23h
but you have to remember that T-Mobile's prepaid division is different than their post-paid division...

At the end of the day the entire problem is summarized right there, and the correct answer is no. No, the customer should not have to give that the slightest thought, a well organized internal system would make that often times infuriating statement unnecessary, as it should be.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I've been considering getting an unlocked Rogers version. Since I've had my 810, I definitely don't want to go backwards and get anything less than 3G speeds. I'm definitely thinking of waiting until after the 928 and/or Catwalk arrive and the 920 is no longer considered exclusive. Thanks for the tips.

The unlocked rogers version has the same speed as the 810 on aws.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
So, loosely put, if you bought your phone in the last 30 days you can return it for the $0 down that was paid in? Um, sounds like a deal? I guess....

You mean without losing a 50 dollar penalty for turning it in after 14 days, and without the tax on the entire cost that was paid up front (and with any luck without a activation charge that should not have been assessed anyway) and without paying off a phone that T-Mobile can't bring themselves to state "if/when" any support might be forthcoming. yea that's a deal and perfect timing at that....

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm still following this thread, but rather than post here, I'm still tweeting everyday and still getting the run around...I laugh at the apologist and excuse makers...the 810 will not get the storage check firmware, you can get the app and side load it, but it doesn't work without the firmware update. Some of you who haven't had it long, return it! Those of us who are early adopters have a pretty cool looking paper weight.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
This is just sad all around. I've got 57 apps that total less than 850MB. Only 12 apps run in the background constantly. Everything media wise is on my SD card. I only have 3 maps I need: NY,NJ and FL. Yet with keeping the phone so Spartan my Other is still more than my free space. I guess we aren't supposed to use the internal memory on this thing at all. I guess other WP8 users look at us and laugh.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
@jgbstetson and Guzzler3
It's no Storage Check, download the Phone Storage Cleaner App from the Store... It works wonders on the 810's minimal storage.
Oh yea! It worked great! It made things WORSE, by increasing the size of "other". I couldn't be happier now, that I most likely will have to do a reset of the phone to reclaim the space.

And yes, I increased the lock screen time out to 5 min and touched the screen so it wouldn't time out.
And yes, I rebooted the phone before and after.
And yes, when the phone complained about running out of space, I pressed "continue".
And yes, I ran it THREE times, just to make sure. Each time it grew the "other" size.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Those storage cleaning apps never helped me much. And I also tried the trick of adding as much music as you can to internal storage. Supposedly it starts to reclaim memory. Yeah, it didn't work any better than these storage apps.

wiseguywood

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
b23h,

I decided to keep the Lumia 810, how about you? I figure I will find a way to make it do what I want no matter what. Made my HD2 run Windows 7 and Android, what a wonder unlocked bootloaders are.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Make no mistake, the 810 is a fine phone that can probably do well of it never gets another update, as along as the apps that get added us the current firmware as a minimum requirement. I may keep mine because I HAVE to. But it still doesn't excuse the $%&#;! customer support we will get from T-Mobile because the 810 is a carrier variant.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm still following this thread, but rather than post here, I'm still tweeting everyday and still getting the run around...I laugh at the apologist and excuse makers...the 810 will not get the storage check firmware, you can get the app and side load it, but it doesn't work without the firmware update. Some of you who haven't had it long, return it! Those of us who are early adopters have a pretty cool looking paper weight.

thank you for keeping up pressure. I really don't think we are being a^^holes for asking what I view as reasonable questions about support. That the various tech companies refuse to even express their intent in any detail is fairly inconceivable to me. It is a customer service paradigm that I would adopt only as a last resort. If I had to give an "answer" like "we don't know if or when a update will be available", I would instead be saying either "I will ask for that information and reply" or I would make explicit why I cannot communicate that "due to NDA we cannot specify."

However I really don't think it is about NDA's or about the occasional wrong thing one said, I think those are like you emphasize, the excuse, the rationalization.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh yea! It worked great! It made things WORSE, by increasing the size of "other". I couldn't be happier now, that I most likely will have to do a reset of the phone to reclaim the space.

And yes, I increased the lock screen time out to 5 min and touched the screen so it wouldn't time out.
And yes, I rebooted the phone before and after.
And yes, when the phone complained about running out of space, I pressed "continue".
And yes, I ran it THREE times, just to make sure. Each time it grew the "other" size.
plus one. Storage shrink doesn't work either...this is a known issue and most people don't realize it until they can't update anything because of the storage...but then you have to delete the app you need the update on just to free up storage...Nokia did something about it by releasing the storage check app, but T-Mobile passed on the update...meanwhile, Microsoft is MIA....(quoted for name recognition 😊). And just to add to the frustration, I went from Cleveland Ohio to Charleston South Carolina, and had to uninstall and install Garmin 3 times because it kept crashing on my 810...had it for almost two years on my HD7 without a crash...

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Man, I just realized that I REALLY need the new firmware that allows Storage Check to function. I'm getting close to 3 gb of "other" and can't clear it out, even with the other apps that say they can clear it.

I have not tried those other applications because I am not quite to that point. It is interesting to hear you say they don't work so well. I am a little interested to see how well Nokia's Storage Check would work. I absolutely agree that it is likely necessary. Most of us are likely pretty technologically sophisticated, so asking us to make sure that we clear this or that cache or change this or that mail setting to ensure that we don't have all of our mail for the last fourteen days being stored, is possible. However overall these are fairly standard functions for the phone and to ask a normal consumer that they have to mess with this or that because their phone seems to be filling up due to regular use, is something that I would be very hesitant to ask. So I am a little unsure as to WP's with 8 gig of internal memory. I think at this point they may be simply a mistake and perhaps the standard should be ten or twelve gig.

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
plus one. Storage shrink doesn't work either...this is a known issue and most people don't realize it until they can't update anything because of the storage...but then you have to delete the app you need the update on just to free up storage...Nokia did something about it by releasing the storage check app, but T-Mobile passed on the update...meanwhile, Microsoft is MIA....(quoted for name recognition ). And just to add to the frustration, I went from Cleveland Ohio to Charleston South Carolina, and had to uninstall and install Garmin 3 times because it kept crashing on my 810...had it for almost two years on my HD7 without a crash...

Storage shrink worked for me.

But it doesn't work enough to make a big difference. I still have 2.8 in Other. Got a bit back, though

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
b23h,

I decided to keep the Lumia 810, how about you? I figure I will find a way to make it do what I want no matter what. Made my HD2 run Windows 7 and Android, what a wonder unlocked bootloaders are.

If I were to get a real statement of support, that T-Mobile and Nokia was going to release Storage Check and Blue for the phone I would likely keep it. I got the 810 cause I liked the look, the screen and I knew that Windows Phones running WP 8 would be able to be updated to Blue or WP9. Now I do not have any real conviction that the 810 will. At this point I am strongly tempted to go back to my HTC HD7 at this point and see what devices will be released in the future.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Those storage cleaning apps never helped me much. And I also tried the trick of adding as much music as you can to internal storage. Supposedly it starts to reclaim memory. Yeah, it didn't work any better than these storage apps.

reading all these comments about the various storage cleaning apps and methods of shrinking the Other folder is really reinforcing the idea that an 8 gig phone is really at the margin of usefulness. Has anyone read about how efficient the Nokia Storage Check application is? I hear it also would allow you to move maps to the SD card. I still hold, that if the Nokia Storage Check feature is efficient, then it is a necessity for our phone.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I had Shrink Storage and it worked the first time I used it, but it's been useless since. I uninstalled it just a couple of hours ago, actually. I think Phone Storage Cleanup is a better app but it doesn't seem to work for me anymore. What freed up more of my storage since was cleaning out my history in IE. But I think I'm in a better situation than most other 810 owners as I have 3.24GB free and 1.38GB in my "Other" section.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
So right now after having the 810 for just under a month, I have many of the applications that I want already installed. I have an external card and music & pictures are stored on the phone. I have three e-mail accounts, but my Google account never receives mail, my yahoo is all spam and I regularly clear it out, and my Hotmail is saved for the last seven days. I have maps for CA (213.8) and NV (55.1) downloaded.

Right now I am at 5.76 gigs used. My other is at 2.46 gb. Free 1.65 Not so bad. I don't have to worry in any significant way right now. I have a fair amount of programs and a number of smaller games that I really don't play. However I really do think that if you have a smartphone why not have a significant amount of programs and things to play with. What's the point of having such a tool if you are forced to just have a skeleton crew of applications and such?

But in any case my situation right now is satisfactory. However if I wanted to install lets say, Modern Combat 4, then immediately I am really starting to push the threshold of concern.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lolz1234