Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I got my e-mail on 4/30 from T-Mobile talking about the Washington Attorney general case, so I have thirty days to act. I think about two weeks out I'll start the move to likely Simple Mobile and back to my HTC HD 7. If T-Mobile simply stated that "we plan on supporting the 810 and coordinating firmware updates with Nokia for "X" amount of time", there's a fair chance that I would not give back the 810 and not go through the hassle of changing carriers. I love the screen and I like having WP8. However without Storage Check and without any assurances that the 810 will get the upcoming WP8 OS updates, my first inclination is to flip off T-Mobile. I don't want to lie, it's my second inclination as well...

Last edited:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm here drooling over the fact that one of my old websites that sells phones I used back in the day has the Lumia 920 at a sweet price. I do like my 810 and would love to keep it though, even if it is my spare...

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, I'm here drooling over the fact that one of my old websites that sells phones I used back in the day has the Lumia 920 at a sweet price. I do like my 810 and would love to keep it though, even if it is my spare...

That's exactly what I'm doing. The Rogers unlocked 920s are a little more money on Negri (over $500), but if you're in a refarmed area, it would be worth checking out the regular unlocked ones for $428 or so. I was going to give my 810 to my mother to use, but then I changed my mind because I want to keep it as a backup. She's getting a 620 instead now.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly what I'm doing. The Rogers unlocked 920s are a little more money on Negri (over $500), but if you're in a refarmed area, it would be worth checking out the regular unlocked ones for $428 or so. I was going to give my 810 to my mother to use, but then I changed my mind because I want to keep it as a backup. She's getting a 620 instead now.

I've seen that my corner of NJ/NYC is refarmed, as I did get 3G on my Focus S during the fall. I saw the regular unlocked for $450 so I'm thinking about it. Got some other priorities first but if I see that T-Mobile is shafting the 810, I will get a 920.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry to ask, but how much did you pay for that unlocked Rogers 920 and are you getting 4g (HSPA+)? I fear that it's going to be maybe a hundred less than what Catwalk will be. However I do tend to agree that the 920 should always be able to get updates (not that I have really done a lot of researching on the issue). Waiting for Catwalk means still potentially being exposed to the fickle whim of T-Mobile, which I can easily imagine being a bit gun shy. However one would think T-Mobile would sell Catwalk for some time and would support it.

T-Mobile really could head our discontent off at the pass by a clear statement of what their intentions are with firmware and OS support of the 810. That would likely stop a lot of us from jumping ship, as a number of us are apparently planning.

Being clear and open with your customers is usually wise...

Actually I bought a new one from Ebay for $325 + $15 shipping + $12 for unlocking, I am getting HSPA+ here in Columbus as it shows 3G most of the times but goes back to 4G sometimes (810 used to show 4G w/ full bars) but the data has been bad (when compared to 810 which was flawless), the phone heats up when using data but not when on WiFi, I guess its because of the 1308 firmware.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
It looks like the FB page for TMO is getting decent traffic. We might as well bug em there as well. Who knows. They might notice the amounts, and hopefully give us an answer.

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
How about well all go to Microsoft and ask them to push updates directly without carrier involvement:
Own the update process
My thoughts... firmware updates should NOT come from Microsoft, nor from the carrier. They should come directly from the manufacturer.
OS updates should come from Microsoft (from what I understand that's how it works now with WP8).
Firmware should come from the device manufacturer. Similar to PC's, you go to motherboard manufacturer's website, and check to see if there are any updates. Asking Microsoft to be the middle man for firmware is similar to asking the carrier to do it. It will get horked up.

The only thing the carrier should be updating is their own stuff. I.e. crap-app-ware, splash/branding screens, specific configs of the phone for what your service contract allows (example: tethering. If you pay for it, turn it on.).

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I am going back to the 810 now, this stupid 1308 on the Rogers 920 is not only having battery issues but also data connectivity issues on T-Mobile. I wish T-Mobile releases a new firmware to allow the storage check, I have less than a GB on my 810.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I am going back to the 810 now, this stupid 1308 on the Rogers 920 is not only having battery issues but also data connectivity issues on T-Mobile. I wish T-Mobile releases a new firmware to allow the storage check, I have less than a GB on my 810.

Oh, no, that's terrible news. I'm supposed to get my 920 today. I'm worried now, but I decided I would keep my 810 as a backup anyway. I loved my iPhone 4, though I prefer WP8 and wouldn't be too happy to end up having to move back to that. :unhappy:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Oh, no, that's terrible news. I'm supposed to get my 920 today. I'm worried now, but I decided I would keep my 810 as a backup anyway. I loved my iPhone 4, though I prefer WP8 and wouldn't be too happy to end up having to move back to that. :unhappy:
i don't have issues where the network is good, here in my office the network is not that great, 810 had an exceptional network as compared to the 920 on 1308. I have less issues at home though. Let me know how it goes for you...

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
i don't have issues where the network is good, here in my office the network is not that great, 810 had an exceptional network as compared to the 920 on 1308. I have less issues at home though. Let me know how it goes for you...

Actually, I'm more worried about the battery life than data connection. The data where I am I know will be decent because I started finally getting a 3G appearing on my iPhone 4 back in November. I'm really just concerned about having a phone that dies after only a few hours. I'll definitely keep you posted on how my 920 functions, though. In spite of no updates for the 810, I'm pretty glad I decided to keep it rather than giving it to my mother or selling it.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Actually, I'm more worried about the battery life than data connection. The data where I am I know will be decent because I started finally getting a 3G appearing on my iPhone 4 back in November. I'm really just concerned about having a phone that dies after only a few hours. I'll definitely keep you posted on how my 920 functions, though. In spite of no updates for the 810, I'm pretty glad I decided to keep it rather than giving it to my mother or selling it.

The battery life is decent, i am a heavy whatsapp user and it drains battery a lot faster than actually making a voice call. Without whatsapp i actually get more than a day's battery life

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The battery life is decent, i am a heavy whatsapp user and it drains battery a lot faster than actually making a voice call. Without whatsapp i actually get more than a day's battery life

Ahh, okay, that reassures me then that I won't have that problem. I did read about WhatsApp causing battery issues. I have an unlimited plan now, so I guess I should be good.

On another note, there was just a delivery here. I thought it was my new 920, but it was my mom's new 620 instead, lol. Shame that her SIM card hasn't gotten here yet.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, I didn't get my 920 today as FedEx claimed I would. Now the delivery has been pushed back to tomorrow. I'll definitely let you guys know how it works on T-Mobile's HSPA/HSPA+/4G network at some point tomorrow, if not Thursday. pankaj981, sorry you had to go back to the 810, especially when you have such limited storage available. I'm hoping my mom won't have this problem with her new 620, although that's doubtful because it's carrier unlocked and I assume she'll probably have the 1308 firmware out of the box.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077