Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I think there is a serious problem comparing the 8.x updates to the 7.8 update in any fashion... The 7.8 update was buggy from the start and the initial releases didn't pass T-Mo's testing. Face it, T-Mo would have rather left people holding the bag on 7.5 with working live tiles and devices that functioned rather than getting the ability to change tile sizes and add a few colors.

When you get down to the Focus S, debranding it was the way to go there. It was a simple XML execution and the device was wide open to any updates that Samsung pushed out. I'm hopeful that this will be the case going forward with all WP devices as MS pushes out the 8.x updates. Try it and if it works great, if not, get a new phone...

Guess you weren't around for the days during the Mango to Tango updates when folks had to do the disconnect cable trick? Where you had to manually update because the firmware was left on AT&T's servers until 7.8 was available? Lol. While I get that it's in the carriers' best interest to use the most stable firmware (which isn't always the latest available firmware), at least with Zune you had a vechile where you could push the update to the device directly. Clearly, that option isn't available to WP8. We've seen what life is like during the Portico update for devices supported by the carriers. Let us see if T-Mobile will show love to its 8X and 810 users when the new updates get announced.
So forgive my skepticism.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
A little off-topic break from the current discussion, I thought I would share my story/experience tonight with my fellow 810 refugees here (rather than start a new thread).

I <3 Microsoft Store.. seriously.. :love: :love: :love:

I went in there today to preorder an Xbox One. After a very lengthy discussion over me and the sales rep's mutual excitement over the Xbox One (and getting his thoughts on the 24 hour check-ins and DRM stuff), I inquired about the state of the Lumia 810 there at the Microsoft Store. They're out... there is no 810 being sold at the Microsoft Store anymore. It was T-Mobile's phone, so it makes sense if T-Mobile decided to stop ordering them that it would die. Anyway, so I directly asked how it would work with the 2 year warranty I purchased for my 810... they would have no problem getting me any other brand new phone in the store, including the new Nokia Lumia 925 when it comes out. Yes! Official confirmation!!

Not only that, I stated that the problems I am having are related to tons of freezing type issues. He then corrected me, stating I would NOT have to use my warranty, since they would count that as manufacturer's defect. Still, even though I bought it many months ago, they honor that exactly as they would with a purchased warranty - replacement with a brand new device. Even for a manufacturer's defect outside the 30-day return window! WOAH! On top of THAT, they could replace my device with a Lumia 925, then transfer my unused 2-year warranty to the 925 and start the 2 years over on that brand new device (since I haven't made any claims, that is possible). WOAH!!

If you bought your device at a Microsoft Store, you can thank T-Mobile for EOL'ing this POS if you're having issues and want a 925. I'm stoked :cool:

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
A little off-topic break from the current discussion, I thought I would share my story/experience tonight with my fellow 810 refugees here (rather than start a new thread).

I <3 Microsoft Store.. seriously.. :love: :love: :love:

I went in there today to preorder an Xbox One. After a very lengthy discussion over me and the sales rep's mutual excitement over the Xbox One (and getting his thoughts on the 24 hour check-ins and DRM stuff), I inquired about the state of the Lumia 810 there at the Microsoft Store. They're out... there is no 810 being sold at the Microsoft Store anymore. It was T-Mobile's phone, so it makes sense if T-Mobile decided to stop ordering them that it would die. Anyway, so I directly asked how it would work with the 2 year warranty I purchased for my 810... they would have no problem getting me any other brand new phone in the store, including the new Nokia Lumia 925 when it comes out. Yes! Official confirmation!!

Not only that, I stated that the problems I am having are related to tons of freezing type issues. He then corrected me, stating I would NOT have to use my warranty, since they would count that as manufacturer's defect. Still, even though I bought it many months ago, they honor that exactly as they would with a purchased warranty - replacement with a brand new device. Even for a manufacturer's defect outside the 30-day return window! WOAH! On top of THAT, they could replace my device with a Lumia 925, then transfer my unused 2-year warranty to the 925 and start the 2 years over on that brand new device (since I haven't made any claims, that is possible). WOAH!!

If you bought your device at a Microsoft Store, you can thank T-Mobile for EOL'ing this POS if you're having issues and want a 925. I'm stoked :cool:

good stuff :D but as for me that didn't buy it there im stuck with this phone im not saying I hate this phone :p but I don't get much options :/

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
good stuff :D but as for me that didn't buy it there im stuck with this phone im not saying I hate this phone :p but I don't get much options :/
My hate stems from the issues I am dealing with while waiting for the dang 925 to release (that alongside three exchanges in the past for battery issues). It's not a truly bad device in its own right, but the value drops to the floor if T-Mobile can't support it with fixes Nokia knows that it needs... obviously we're all waiting around to find out how that one is going to play out.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
That's the issue. I'm skeptical as a 810 user, even though my phone has worked great since I got it...except for the "Other" issue of course. I hope they support the 810, but I wouldn't be surprised if it go kicked to the curb.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Off topic, but have you guys tried internet sharing on your 810? I have the unlimited, no throttling plan, yet my internet sharing is working....maybe T-Mobile is trying to make it up to us...

Guzzler3

May 4, 2012
Visit site
Yea, T-mo turned on tethering on their new plans by default. But if you still have the $30 plan(s) you have to pay extra for it.

But, for some reason, some Android devices from T-mo will allow tethering on their old $30 plans without paying extra. Someone said that if you mess with creating a new access point profile on other Android devices they too can get tethering to work on the old $30 plans. I just can't find the settings to try in the 810.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Off topic, but have you guys tried internet sharing on your 810? I have the unlimited, no throttling plan, yet my internet sharing is working....maybe T-Mobile is trying to make it up to us...
They unlocked something like 500mb of tethering for the unlimited/no throttling plans. In stark contrast, the limited plans can tether for the entire amount of their data plan - which is odd, because if you're paying for the most expensive plan, you should be able to AT LEAST tether up to the amount of the highest available limited plan. I understand why they would limit tethering for the unlimited plan, but why limit it to the level of those who pay for the lowest plan? Hmph.

As Guzzler mentioned, internet sharing is now included with their new postpaid plans. Out of luck if you have a grandfathered plan though. You'll need to use an older device to get around that restriction, one that doesn't validate whether or not you have access.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Nice. It was interesting that for a while I couldn't tether with my 810 it could with my G. Nexus easily. So I just switched over to the plan that allowed tethering so it doesn't bother me as much.

I hope we move to the Euro model where all their phones are unlocked but the carriers here won't do it until they have another way to make money of us...

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I know this a off topic sorta I think ...anyways I wanted to share my observation. have anyone noticed that when you would go to the field test and then see the little 3 dots and then go to settings you would see network type and under there there would be 2g, 3G, and 4G, now If I go to see I only get to see 2g and 3G no 4G I guess they took it off anyways that was what I found i don't know if that was already found or not.

jbfe

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
long time wpcentral follower, finally got around to creating an account. saw this thread and figured i'd join in to show my support. i have an 810 as well, and i'm hoping for some updates!

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Nice. It was interesting that for a while I couldn't tether with my 810 it could with my G. Nexus easily. So I just switched over to the plan that allowed tethering so it doesn't bother me as much.

I hope we move to the Euro model where all their phones are unlocked but the carriers here won't do it until they have another way to make money of us...

I just got my Lumia 810 two weeks ago and asked T Mobile for an unlock code and they sent it, it's now unlocked-
perhaps because I've been with them for 6 yrs made a difference.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
long time wpcentral follower, finally got around to creating an account. saw this thread and figured i'd join in to show my support. i have an 810 as well, and i'm hoping for some updates!

Welcome aboard! We all are hoping for updates, but some are more skeptical than others about us getting them... There is also another thread for the 810 where if your "Other" storage folder is too large, you can upload your screenshot as a part of the petition...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I just got my Lumia 810 two weeks ago and asked T Mobile for an unlock code and they sent it, it's now unlocked-
perhaps because I've been with them for 6 yrs made a difference.

I've been with them that long too. I may ask for one to increase my 810's potential resale value...as cruelly funny as that sounds...

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
No disrespect to anyone, but we 810 owners have been waiting for an update and not spamming twitter...anyone else get the update yet....?

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
...any updates! We were told to chill and good things were coming...I'm starting to run out of storage and patience...

I bet IF the 810 gets any updates it will be during the GDR 2 release time period. If that cycle goes through and the 810 has no update, then I expect that it will not get any other updates....

Do we know when GDR 2 will be released? It should be fairly shortly no?

The lack of a Storage update/fix is certainly not what I would call excellent customer support....

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
No disrespect to anyone, but we 810 owners have been waiting for an update and not spamming twitter...anyone else get the update yet....?

There aren't enough 810 owners to make a difference. The number of 810 owners who own phones and know their is an issue with updates is even smaller. The same small group spamming does not make a difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss