Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Vbvz, I was going to suggest a hard reset if all else failed. Let us know if you get the new firmware by doing so.

Mystic, Too late to the party Mobile will only trot the 925 out at a time when people will go: "why didn't they put this out 6 months ago?"...

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I've only kept my phone because it hasn't cost a penny for almost three months...but I'm jumping ship to AT$T and the EOS, since T-Mobile did the EOL on the Lumia 810.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I've only kept my phone because it hasn't cost a penny for almost three months...but I'm jumping ship to AT$T and the EOS, since T-Mobile did the EOL on the Lumia 810.

Dr, i picked up VZW 8X as a project phone and I swear, if I could have afforded their rates, I'd be satisfied in making the jump to them. I still like my 810 because it fits the bill for why I bought it initially, but I tell you, if I can get my hands on a 920, I'd happily trade in the 810 and use the 8X as my daily driver. I still think WP8 looks beautiful on an AMOLED screen though.

Too-late-to-the-party Mobile just does some stuff that makes you scratch your head. You know it is rough when their parent company has been trying to sell them off for YEARS.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Not to mention that the Lumia 925, with only 16gb of memory, is priced higher than the other carriers with 32gb...they say you get what you pay for...it might cost more, but I'm ready to pay for better service and support. If it doesn't work out, I'll pay the ETF and try another carrier...maybe Sprint will have a viable network soon.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
No offense to those Sprint owners out there, but for me, going to Sprint would be like moving from one t***y bar with working girls who are 75 y.o. + to another where their ages are 65-74. Not discriminating against anyone here, but if I'm leaving T-Mobile, I have to get better bang for buck coverage wise...VZW fits the bill in my area.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
That's the thing...I had Sprint but joined T-Mobile just for the HD2, T-Mobile customer service has taken a nosedive since then...Sprint started out the same way, they have lost so many people that maybe they changed...I just know that, even with free service, I'm done with T-Mobile...what good is free when you can't use it?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
That's the thing...I had Sprint but joined T-Mobile just for the HD2, T-Mobile customer service has taken a nosedive since then...Sprint started out the same way, they have lost so many people that maybe they changed...I just know that, even with free service, I'm done with T-Mobile...what good is free when you can't use it?

All valid points. I'm at a stage where I'd rather be unlocked again and contract free. The US carriers are as annoying as the humidity on a August day in Arizona. Perhaps if I move and my income goes up, I will tab VZW, but for now I'm stuck with t-mo. I was almost tempted (all but 1 minute) I spent thinking about the 925. Don't want one unless it is the 32GB model.

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The 810 got abandoned worse than that Paula Dean gal, at least she got a few years of support unlike the outcasted 810 which got fired after 5 months. This will be my first and last contract phone, never again will I buy a post contract phone through tmob. The OS still needs serious fixes regardless of firmware I just hope somebody will be accountable for this step child of a phone from tmob. Looking forward to a small claims suit if they really drop this completely off the grid.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
The 810 got abandoned worse than that Paula Dean gal, at least she got a few years of support unlike the outcasted 810 which got fired after 5 months. This will be my first and last contract phone, never again will I buy a post contract phone through tmob. The OS still needs serious fixes regardless of firmware I just hope somebody will be accountable for this step child of a phone from tmob. Looking forward to a small claims suit if they really drop this completely off the grid.

Paula Dean out her own foot in her mouth, so no sympathies from me there.

My issue with t-mo was that they KNEW what was coming down the pipeline. There was no way that the 810, and their 8X could sell on contract at those prices. At least with the 8X, HTC knew it may sell ok and was looking more at VZW and AT&T to carry most of the US orders. Whatever sold from t-mo...eh. t-mo had this paw prints all over the 810. You realize that they only released one wireless shell? They didn't even put LTE in the 810 either. Some people on this thread have said that the few folks who bought the phone don't count in the grand scheme of things as far as t-mo's bottom line goes, but I say we still should get updates and support.

No sympathies from me for 925 users if the t-mo version doesn't sell and gets EOL'ed quickly.

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Hopefully the 925 launch will justify the launch of the firmware updates we need for the 810. I doubt it, but a unified up to date OS seems worth it to me. Either way... if TMO doesn't give me my Amber or 8.1... I'm complaining until they do something. (Hopefully exchange for a 925... so I can have that EOL'd before it's time as well.)

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully the 925 launch will justify the launch of the firmware updates we need for the 810. I doubt it, but a unified up to date OS seems worth it to me. Either way... if TMO doesn't give me my Amber or 8.1... I'm complaining until they do something. (Hopefully exchange for a 925... so I can have that EOL'd before it's time as well.)

If T Mobile doesn't update the phone, I'm out. I've done WebOS and am suffering through months of inadequacy on the 810. I don't like the iPhone but I'd rather have something that is updated by the manufacturer and the music functions correctly on. Microsoft blew it by not directly updating phones.

Last edited:

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
@Angry_Mushroom - I'm not going to say you are right... but you are certainly on to a timing thing here... The 925 test units have 1316 installed on them... The 521 have 1316 installed on them... The latest test model in T-Mo's system for the 810 is... 1316... :)

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
@Angry_Mushroom - I'm not going to say you are right... but you are certainly on to a timing thing here... The 925 test units have 1316 installed on them... The 521 have 1316 installed on them... The latest test model in T-Mo's system for the 810 is... 1316... :)
well that is good news :) but lets see when we get it :) but other than that its good news

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
waazzupppp, t-mo could win a lot of goodwill back if when they launched the 925, they put out the Amber update to the 810 either the same day or a few days afterwards. Not sure if they'll so that because they may end up focusing on pushing the 925 & Xperia Z. It would be nice though...

smurfercom

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The latest test model in T-Mo's system for the 810 is... 1316... :)[/B]

I think the only thing they are testing is our patience, what's to test? They have had more than enough time to release the fw for the 810. Again tmo is over pricing the already gimped 925 and am sure this phone will fail to sell due to tmob over pricing it just like the 810. The 925 as nice as it may be would never work for me due to no sd card for storing my movies 16 gigs just aint going to cut it without the sd card. Heck even the 32 gig model still wouldn't fit my needs, the 810 could be a winner if they would just update the damn thing.

Hopefully Nokia will still be around next year if they don't sell off the mobile division, but I feel they are going to have too.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Exciting news for people who want to trade up (spoiler alert - tons of sarcasm coming) ...here's an article on Nokia's new US trade in program:

http://m.gsmarena.com/nokia_sets_up_a_tradeup_program_for_your_used_phone_in_the_us-news-6294.php

So of course I checked to see what our 810 is worth to trade up and it is valued at....$120 for mint condition models! WHAT A DEAL! I need to go wipe my phone and sell it now before it gets to be less than worthless than what it already is at this point!

All sarcasm aside, t-mo better hopes that the 925 sells or if it gets killed, I'll be the first in line to laugh at disgruntled 925 users. While I'm hopeful for an update, I'm using my 810 like it has been forgotten.

dave0538

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Exciting news for people who want to trade up (spoiler alert - tons of sarcasm coming) ...here's an article on Nokia's new US trade in program:

Nokia sets up Trade-up program for your used phone in the US - GSMArena.com news

So of course I checked to see what our 810 is worth to trade up and it is valued at....$120 for mint condition models! WHAT A DEAL! I need to go wipe my phone and sell it now before it gets to be less than worthless than what it already is at this point!

All sarcasm aside, t-mo better hopes that the 925 sells or if it gets killed, I'll be the first in line to laugh at disgruntled 925 users. While I'm hopeful for an update, I'm using my 810 like it has been forgotten.

Heh yeah I saw that while browsing nokias site lol, but I don't think ima going to take the offer and get a 925 because the 810 imo is the best windows phone 8 made so far, it has hidden LTE, SD card Reader, Decent camera, Great battery life, and Superb OLED screen, other phones get shafted with either small storage 16gb or 32 gb when 810 can go up to 64gb, good camera or bad camera trade off for some design feature, and before they use slcd instead of oled which they r going mainstream with now. So I think I got the better built of lumia with the 810 has everything I need, just hope I guess for a cracked bootloader soon to enable the last thing I need which is LTE. and as far as camera is concerned I have a Nikon 5200 so if I need to take serious photos, that will be my choice and not my phone.

So yeah I don't think it be smart for me to upgrade from 810 to 925 just for somewhat better camera and less storage space with bigger price tag.

adg5

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I thought about the 925 but I have had the 810 since december and I have had almost no issues with it. I does everything that I need it to do. I hear so many people complain about their 920 and hear so many issues with the 925. I have been a loyal nokia user for years now but it seems like they have lost sight of who they used to be. Nokia used to make revolutionary phones that were lightyears ahead of the competition and were a success as a result of their designs and ingenuity. Now it seems that they have lost sight of the quality and become driven by economics rather than innovation. The 810 might end up being my last nokia phone but for now I am satisfied with its performance.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise