Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
You're telling the wrong person, my rhetorical "How?" was in response to his how did you all get to Justin bieber...

I know how, I started it all.
Ahhh that makes sense if I knew it was rhetorical I would of answered differently and I guess it's the old whispering in the ear to someone a message and at the End of the line it's all different but sorry for me Misunderstanding you

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Ahhh that makes sense if I knew it was rhetorical I would of answered differently and I guess it's the old whispering in the ear to someone a message and at the End of the line it's all different but sorry for me Misunderstanding you

No biggie
nuances aren't easily recognize on forums posts and I was also being deadpan in my reply
I implied a wink but left it out to be even more cryptic. :wink:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Oh yes of course we have the right to poke fun at tmobile's inability to communicate to its customers that bought the 810 about it being eol'ed and about future updates :mad:

Yup, so even if it means we've got to get Jesus to pull out His 810 to rep our cause and to **** on Justin B. as well, we will do it because we're all inclusive like that...

dave0538

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
Yup, so even if it means we've got to get Jesus to pull out His 810 to rep our cause and to **** on Justin B. as well, we will do it because we're all inclusive like that...

Lol yeah I agree.

I think t-mobile is just BSing 810 users because we have the "ULTIMATE WP8 device" ever made, and if they support it, it would hurt stock of new and upcoming devices.

Think about... One of their first devices has it all, WP8, MicroSD support up to 64GB, LTE capabilities (which it has and don't believe there crap or others who post), Wi-Fi Calling Ability ( from past experience since windows mobile 6.0 to 6.5, they stated wifi calling would be system level default for os due to its great success on windows mobile, which was a no brainer, those who don't believe should really go digging to back in the days when they were transitioning from windows mobile 6.5 to windows 7 will find what they are looking for) AMOLED Display better than LCD and IMO IPS LCD and a decent camera with enough ram. We also have NFC and who knows maybe Bluetooth 4.0 under the hood. WHAT MORE CAN WE ASK FOR?

So to see, if they support our 810 its would be the only phone someone who wants wp8 would ever need in todays world, until something ground breaking would be released.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I think t-mobile is just BSing 810 users because we have the "ULTIMATE WP8 device" ever made, and if they support it, it would hurt stock of new and upcoming devices.

If they decide to let the phone die slowly without any further updates, is there anything we can do to shove either Amber or GDR2 into the phone? I'm guessing the platform is locked enough to make it impossible....

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
If they decide to let the phone die slowly without any further updates, is there anything we can do to shove either Amber or GDR2 into the phone? I'm guessing the platform is locked enough to make it impossible....

nothing is impossible..the prob is the people willing to take time to crack it

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
nothing is impossible..the prob is the people willing to take time to crack it

It boils down to how MSFT encrypted the OS in the first place. There is an old article on this on WPCentral that was released last year. If I find it I will post the link. The big issue is that MSFT went the OTA route for WP8, which still leaves in on the carriers to push out the update.

t-mo iisn'tgoing to admit it made a mistake with the 810. They'll just bury it with the 925 and 521 in the same way they buried the 8X. As we said before, they both were overpriced and under promoted and had the ****ty sales numbers to prove it.

dave0538

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
It boils down to how MSFT encrypted the OS in the first place. There is an old article on this on WPCentral that was released last year. If I find it I will post the link. The big issue is that MSFT went the OTA route for WP8, which still leaves in on the carriers to push out the update.

t-mo iisn'tgoing to admit it made a mistake with the 810. They'll just bury it with the 925 and 521 in the same way they buried the 8X. As we said before, they both were overpriced and under promoted and had the ****ty sales numbers to prove it.

Indeed Microsoft went OTA they also introduced secure boot which is the main problem for dev to break it, Chinese/jap dev are working on making something like hdspl for the phone but can't get past secure boot, at least on the nokia phones. Reker who hails from darkforcesteam (they are kinda famous in the windows mobile and windows 7 era along with chainfire and oli.)

And yeah like MSFTisMIA said T-Mobile will try to bury the 810 existence. Unless we all find a way to fight back and not let it happened. And as far as my BBB complaint is going, its going rather good than getting no where calling t mobile and yelling at them. So hopefully others will file a complaint and force t-mobiles hand in the matter.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
What if:

1. a person unlocks his 810.
  2. then signs up for a no-contract plan at AT&T.
  3. waits patiently for a month or two....
Would AT&T push GDR2 onto that unlocked 810?

Another question. I've been thinking about this whole 810-GDR2 debacle.... Given the poor vote of confidence everyone here gives to T-Mobile on this issue, what are the chances of the device ever receiving GDR3? I mean, if you guys get fortunate enough to be given GDR2 this month, that will, in all likelihood, be the last update the 810 will ever see, anyway. Again, based on how little faith you have in T-Mobile.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
1) if you do unlock it and take it to AT&T your updates will still come from t-mobile because its a phone that is controlled by t-mobile
2) and as for your question about getting GDR3 well as you can see how I put this ... I think I can speck for myself and say the day we get GDR3 is the day we see pigs and cows driving to the store to complain about Selling their milk and bacon to us ;)

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
1) if you do unlock it and take it to AT&T your updates will still come from t-mobile because its a phone that is controlled by t-mobile
2) and as for your question about getting GDR3 well as you can see how I put this ... I think I can speck for myself and say the day we get GDR3 is the day we see pigs and cows driving to the store to complain about Selling their milk and bacon to us ;)

Better yet, those pigs and cows will drive to the supermarket complaining how expensive eating human meat has gotten...sigh...

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

I'm not so sure since you'd have an AT&T SIM card and it (SIM) wouldn't be tied to TM even if you kept your number
the only network that you'd be tied to is by the SIM -no ? TM contacts you because you have one of their SIM cards.
Doesn't unlocked mean it's not tied to any network ? Years ago I had a Moto Pebble and I bought it from TM but it died out of warranty and
it I bought an unlocked replacement and it had a logo at start up from some network in the south -South Carolina area I think, and never got anything from them, & I couldn't access some links on the phone from that network -I didn't have one of their SIM cards. And TM won't contact you unless you have a TM SIM and the update is OTA and it's linked to the SIM and that phone and TM doesn't control it anymore since it's unlocked... if that is wrong then OK but I don't think so.

Last edited:

dainla

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Checked about swapping my 810 for a 925 using my Assure Insurance. I would have to pay $300 for difference in phone price and the $45 for using Assure (I was not informed there would be $45 fee when I bought assure.)

I can wait until early November, so hopefully 925 price drops or update comes.

If not, I'll be off to Android or iOS.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

I doubt that a phone with an AT&T SIM inside would ever receive any data (much less updates) from T-Mobile. Sounds very implausible, bordering on senseless.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm not so sure since you'd have an AT&T SIM card and it (SIM) wouldn't be tied to TM even if you kept your number
the only network that you'd be tied to is by the SIM -no ? TM contacts you because you have one of their SIM cards.
Doesn't unlocked mean it's not tied to any network ? Years ago I had a Moto Pebble and I bought it from TM but it died out of warranty and
it I bought an unlocked replacement and it had a logo at start up from some network in the south -South Carolina area I think, and never got anything from them, & I couldn't access some links on the phone from that network -I didn't have one of their SIM cards. And TM won't contact you unless you have a TM SIM and the update is OTA and it's linked to the SIM and that phone and TM doesn't control it anymore since it's unlocked... if that is wrong then OK but I don't think so.

Don't take my word for it it's important to do research ;) but the way I learned is if a phones is requested by cellphone Carierr the oem makes it so its compatible on that network then the carrier makes a custom rom and addes it's own stuff. Then if a person decides to unlock it to take it to another carrier they would unlock it but that rom would still be there and the updates would come from the origial carrier that is responsible of selling that device. But what you say is true then people would not be trying to get a rom an unbraned rom so they can forget about the carriers about updates . And also I hope I didn't miss understand you again because that would be ackward and feel free to correct me because I rather be told they I am wrong right now and have the right info later than saying the incorrect things to other peeps :)

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Don't take my word for it it's important to do research ;) but the way I learned is if a phones is requested by cellphone Carierr the oem makes it so its compatible on that network then the carrier makes a custom rom and addes it's own stuff. Then if a person decides to unlock it to take it to another carrier they would unlock it but that rom would still be there and the updates would come from the origial carrier that is responsible of selling that device. But what you say is true then people would not be trying to get a rom an unbraned rom so they can forget about the carriers about updates . And also I hope I didn't miss understand you again because that would be ackward and feel free to correct me because I rather be told they I am wrong right now and have the right info later than saying the incorrect things to other peeps :)

I'm not 100% sure but it would seem odd to TM to contact you if you are on AT&T -they (att) would just offer the update OTA they support WP8 too. But WPhoney has doubts too.
call AT&T and ask...if I unlock my phone and sign up with you would I....

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
What if:

1. a person unlocks his 810.
  2. then signs up for a no-contract plan at AT&T.
  3. waits patiently for a month or two....
Would AT&T push GDR2 onto that unlocked 810?

Another question. I've been thinking about this whole 810-GDR2 debacle.... Given the poor vote of confidence everyone here gives to T-Mobile on this issue, what are the chances of the device ever receiving GDR3? I mean, if you guys get fortunate enough to be given GDR2 this month*, that will, in all likelihood, be the last update the 810 will ever see, anyway. Again, based on how little faith you have in T-Mobile.

*GDR2 was pushed out to 2014 last I read.

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
*GDR2 was pushed out to 2014 last I read.

Wasn't it coming in August? I thought some Lumia devices on AT&T were already getting it. The new 520 ships with it for $99. Plus the HTC 8XT on Sprint is getting too. Did you mean GDR3?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786