Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

bsipe9

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
AND where can I send you some beers ?

Let me know next time you're in NE Ohio and I might take you up on that.

As for tonight, I finally need to turn in and get some sleep. If you still have questions and they aren't answered by someone else, I'll be back tomorrow.

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
is that something different than Smart Shoot?

Googling a bit, it looks like Smart Cam is maybe just a modified version of Smart Shoot specifically for the Lumia 925. Lots of the same features, albeit Smart Cam seems to have more.

it is way better than smart shoot.. hopefully there is a work around for us to install it again..it was installed on me before the i installed the update..maybe it wasnt really meant as welll to 810 as some says Amber is not really meant to 810/822 and 820??? but MS says amber will be for All Lumias

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
So let me see if I understood this...

1. A Nokia representative says that the Amber firmware is not meant for the 810/820/822.
  2. But they made the firmware available (perhaps accidentally), anyway.
  3. Then after a few hours, they removed it to prevent 810/820/822 owners from installing it.

The question is: once this firmware is installed on the 810/820/822, do these phones get all the features that the newer phones are getting?

Congrats for all the people that successfully downloaded and installed these updates. It sounds like by-in-large the update is fine with no real reported problems.

Which brings me to the next idea. Do we have confirmation that the firmware is not meant for the 810? How did we get that confirmation? The next question is kind of rhetorical, if that firmware is not for the 810, then is the 810 going to get a firmware/GDR 2/Amber update?

Finally if that update really wasn't meant for the 810, but yet it seems to be working fine; then that kind of makes a potential mockery of all the time and effort and often failure in testing updates for the different phones. If for example I can flash a bios meant for another motherboard into my computer and it works fine (that's something I would never try to do), then what am I to think about various T-Mobile pronouncements about how this or that update did not meet their standards.

My take away is that update and firmware WAS likely meant for the 810, but I am very curious as to if we can confirm the idea that it was NOT meant for the 810.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Glance doesn't work well with a LCD screen some say it does but it's not very sensitive but you can have the clock on all the time with battery saver off

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
My guess is it was intended for the 810, just wasn't intended to be made public yet.

Yes, that's my thought too, but I am curious as to the original statement that the update was not meant for the 810 at all, and where that comment supposedly came from. But overall, yea I bet that update is intended for the 810 and I will be very curious as to when T-Mobile deems it suitable for release, given it clearly seems to work fine....

WPhoney

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, that's my thought too, but I am curious as to the original statement that the update was not meant for the 810 at all, and where that comment supposedly came from.
Here's the source. Maybe he can give us more details about the conversation he had with the Nokia rep.

Weird I called Nokia and they said that the Nokia Updater does not work with Lumia 810 and should wait for OTA

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Here's the source. Maybe he can give us more details about the conversation he had with the Nokia rep.
I called them and asked about the Amber Update ( will we get it, when etc) and realized that the 1250 was the only one showing so I mentioned that the Amber update had been downloaded before Nokia got wind of it ( they didn't comment on that) and it was installed without issue on 810's. They said after a 5-6 min "can you hold" that Amber update wasn't created for the 810 ( they were pretty emphatic about that) and one shouldn't download (any) updates from NSU but instead wait and get them OTA. From what I've read the SMART CAM app is supposed to be included with the AMBER update so maybe this isn't the final version and we can only wait to see if it is when it's sent OTA.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I called them and asked about the Amber Update ( will we get it, when etc) and realized that the 1250 was the only one showing so I mentioned that the Amber update had been downloaded before Nokia got wind of it ( they didn't comment on that) and it was installed without issue on 810's. They said after a 5-6 min "can you hold" that Amber update wasn't created for the 810 ( they were pretty emphatic about that) and one shouldn't download (any) updates from NSU but instead wait and get them OTA. From what I've read the SMART CAM app is supposed to be included with the AMBER update so maybe this isn't the final version and we can only wait to see if it is when it's sent OTA.

Thank you. I guess I should be used to obscure communications from the tech companies. I expect that those who've already updated, will still probably get an OTA notice when the "official" version is ready to go. Have fun people with the "new" shiny!!

froi francisco

Apr 11, 2013
Visit site
its quite interesting that this update leak has YET to be in any news/article..... hmmmm..is this makes it more probable that lets, say amber was not really meant for L810? :smile: super guessing here heheheh.. but any way the update seems good..

-- tremendous effect on the OTHER storage issue. mine now is less than 512mb., (can someone confirm, mine was 800+ last night now is it <500mb., was it auto now? :) )
-- no FM though :crying:
-- guys can you say that cam quality seems better? theres alot of noise the screen when trying to take a photo, but the actual photo taken has no noise .. and in the screen, the image seems bright (but lot of noise) but the actual photo way darker...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Been following people's exploits here. I'm on the fence about flashing this to my phone. Maybe because HTC hasn't launched it to the VZW 8X yet, so I want to test it out the new update first on that one before I manually upgrade my 810. Hopefully t-mo does the right thing and OTAs it soon, but I'm not holding my breath completely.

shadohh

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
This is all licensing nonsense, that is what I see.

Nokia did their part and made the Amber update for the Lumia 810.

BUT....

It is T-Mobiles decision if it sees the light of day. So when they say "its not ment for the lumia 810" they mean yes it was leaked by we dont want to be sued by T-Mobile for leaking it.

So all this proves is T-Mobile is slow in releasing it and/or they are following the ATT/Verizon hand book as to not update the phone and force us to buy something newer.

Dr_8820

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy for those that flashed and keep us posted, but my phone flashing days are over...I shouldn't have to flash unapproved software just to get my phone to work properly.

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
This is all licensing nonsense, that is what I see.

Nokia did their part and made the Amber update for the Lumia 810.

BUT....

It is T-Mobiles decision if it sees the light of day. So when they say "its not ment for the lumia 810" they mean yes it was leaked by we dont want to be sued by T-Mobile for leaking it.

So all this proves is T-Mobile is slow in releasing it and/or they are following the ATT/Verizon hand book as to not update the phone and force us to buy something newer.

tsk tsk tsk.. hate to dispose my 810 as it gave me a solid experience with WP8 platform as a first time user coming from Android... but since it received a crack screen over the weekend - i no longer give a "WHOA" about it.. sucks to see it laying around lifeless.. maybe try and get it fixed and hang on to it but that'll only happen if it gets updated to GDR2 / Amber. Til then, waiting patiently for my newly acquired 920 to come in the mail :)

Angry_Mushroom

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Looks like this thread will be reaching an end soon. Question is... Will it be a climactic end with TMO giving us everything, or will it be an anti-climactic end where we have to do it ourselves?

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I was also thinking that is this the last update we will get IF T-Mobile releases it and wow if only been gone 3 days and already I missed a lot :shocked:

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Looks like this thread will be reaching an end soon. Question is... Will it be a climactic end with TMO giving us everything, or will it be an anti-climactic end where we have to do it ourselves?

Didn't MS lengthen the support period for WP8? It was eighteen months, what is it now? I have this weird thing about expecting appropriate support for the items I buy. The 810 has had one software update since release, and that was back in January. Why shouldn't we expect updates all the way through GDR 3 and Blue? Yea, yea, I know the answer that some always give, because T-Mobile doesn't care about the 50,000 that bought the 810. It's still a cheesy answer...

So I guess people that have low expectations are not disappointed. But I don't like to have low expectations, because to some degree it makes me feel like a sucker. Like I let people stomp on me and what am I supposed to say "Sure, I'll buy another phone from you so you can f*ck me again."

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99