Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
b23h, have you considered installing GDR3 from the preview program?? I installed on my 810 and have had absolutely no problems...

Preview for Developers | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States) (or anyone really)

I'm relatively patient and will wait for the OTA version with potential updated firmware unless T-Mobile abandons the phone.... If that happens then sure, I'll update by whatever means necessary, kind of like how I updated my old HTC HD 7 to 7.8.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
well I bet this was already established but a reminder is never bad :wink: but we already know MSFT will keep on pumping out updates and Nokia with their updates we know they will keep their promise on that subject but it all lies on the carrier and we just have to hope that tmobile gives the ok for the BIG update of 8.1

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I have a sneaky suspicion that the last update that the 810 will see will be GRD3. It's going to be much the same case as GDR2 though - where most of the changes are under the hood. We just don't have a device that takes advantage of enough of the new features to notice. Our screens are a lower resolution, our cameras aren't PureView, our 8GB of internal storage fills quickly... It just won't be all that awesome.

As far as 8.1 goes... I bet we will see GDR3 in February to March officially from T-Mobile. This gives them time to roll out the 1520 variant, mark down the 925's and move on to the next generation of devices. The 925 will see GDR3 right away - probably in time for Christmas. The 810 should follow in early 2014. This pushes the monstrous release of 8.1 to July/August of 2014 - or about the time that MS guaranteed support for current devices.

Now, here's the thing... 8.1 is going to be a big thing, not so much for the phones, but for WinRT. 8.1 will essentially merge the two platforms into one. Windows Phone will start supporting screens up to 10" and will run on more advanced hardware. It's the step we all wanted WP to make, but it wasn't quite ready. By July of next year, anyone with an 810 will be drooling over the newer devices and will hopefully have the urge to buy one.

Just my thoughts on the timing of it all...

howard mai

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
I have a sneaky suspicion that the last update that the 810 will see will be GRD3. It's going to be much the same case as GDR2 though - where most of the changes are under the hood. We just don't have a device that takes advantage of enough of the new features to notice. Our screens are a lower resolution, our cameras aren't PureView, our 8GB of internal storage fills quickly... It just won't be all that awesome.

As far as 8.1 goes... I bet we will see GDR3 in February to March officially from T-Mobile. This gives them time to roll out the 1520 variant, mark down the 925's and move on to the next generation of devices. The 925 will see GDR3 right away - probably in time for Christmas. The 810 should follow in early 2014. This pushes the monstrous release of 8.1 to July/August of 2014 - or about the time that MS guaranteed support for current devices.

Now, here's the thing... 8.1 is going to be a big thing, not so much for the phones, but for WinRT. 8.1 will essentially merge the two platforms into one. Windows Phone will start supporting screens up to 10" and will run on more advanced hardware. It's the step we all wanted WP to make, but it wasn't quite ready. By July of next year, anyone with an 810 will be drooling over the newer devices and will hopefully have the urge to buy one.

I am waiting it

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

sounds a little cynical in a way but it makes sense :cool:

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So...it's been a while so I figured I'd share an update. I'm never buying anther carrier branded phone (unless I go to Verizon) again. I paid my 810 off and because I was using my 8X (unlocked) more these days, t-mobile gives me this excuse "we cannot unlock your phone because you haven't used it on our network for the past 7 consecutive days".

Really.

So your going to bust my balls for a carrier variant that I fully paid off and you wouldn't have allowed me to unlock it before I paid it off? Really.

So I migrated to both a 8X & a 920. I still like t-mobile's rate plans for my area, but they've gotten crooked to fall in line like the others. One of my friends is buying my 810, and that's the end of it. Just sad, really...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
well I wasn't trying to refer it as being cool its just saying its cynical but the way he stated makes sense

its been a strong difference of opinion between those two for an long time in this thread, so it isn't anything you did/said so much. still, t-mo's tactic (you heard they passed on a version of the 1520 and the 1320 for now) may indicate that while the 521 may be selling ok, not sure how many 925s they're moving (may not be much). Seems like we're stuck with AT&T & VZW as leads here in the US...

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I think the problem with the 1520 is that the off-contract price pins it around $600 ($589.99 if I read correctly) and that is too much for T-Mobile to run up their "payment plan" on. You'd be looking at $100 down plus 20 months at $25 a month - or about the same as an iPhone or Galaxy S IV... They won't sell enough to have their HSPA+42 radios dropped in there (AWS bands) so I don't see that one happening until the second run through next year - or after AT&T sales drop slightly. T-Mobile still has a ton of the 925's to move first at $499.99 before they can bring in another big gun. Too bad the 1320 isn't slated to come stateside, as this would be the perfect T-Mo offering at that $350 price point. Nothing down, $15-20 a month? Decent deal right there... But alas, emerging markets win again!

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I think the problem with the 1520 is that the off-contract price pins it around $600 ($589.99 if I read correctly) and that is too much for T-Mobile to run up their "payment plan" on. You'd be looking at $100 down plus 20 months at $25 a month - or about the same as an iPhone or Galaxy S IV... They won't sell enough to have their HSPA+42 radios dropped in there (AWS bands) so I don't see that one happening until the second run through next year - or after AT&T sales drop slightly. T-Mobile still has a ton of the 925's to move first at $499.99 before they can bring in another big gun. Too bad the 1320 isn't slated to come stateside, as this would be the perfect T-Mo offering at that $350 price point. Nothing down, $15-20 a month? Decent deal right there... But alas, emerging markets win again!

I figured that the 925's sales may not have been as much as expected. I wouldn't be surprised if they go back to the one Windows offering. I agree - the 1350 would be like their 710, but with the lackluster sales, there is no reason to add that now, especially when 925 sales are so sluggish.

I'm not sorry for t-mo. I've got my unlocked 8X & 920 which I got at great prices, even though it is a year later. As much as the 925 32GB version was what I really wanted, there's no reason to buy a carrier variant from t-mo anymore.

sahib lopez

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't think T-Mobile will care about windows phones because since its the 4th largest carrier and most of their sales come from iPhone then android and since they are trying to make money why spend money on windows phones and I think the reason why AT&T and Verizon are having sales from windows phones phone is because they are the 1st and 2nd largest carrier which means more chances to make a sale form windows phone.. I don't know if that made any sense but its what I think T-Mobile wont be picking up windows phone anytime soon

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I figured that the 925's sales may not have been as much as expected. I wouldn't be surprised if they go back to the one Windows offering. I agree - the 1350 would be like their 710, but with the lackluster sales, there is no reason to add that now, especially when 925 sales are so sluggish.

I'm not sorry for t-mo. I've got my unlocked 8X & 920 which I got at great prices, even though it is a year later. As much as the 925 32GB version was what I really wanted, there's no reason to buy a carrier variant from t-mo anymore.

Similar situation here. I got the T-Mobile version of the HTC 8x from Cowboom for $205 with tax/shipping just a week and a half ago. For me there was absolutely no real reason to pay $475 plus for a phone with the same amount of memory and also lacking an SD card. I would have liked a Lumia and the support that you get from Nokia, but that wasn't worth it for me. Every time there is a discussion about the 925 people bring up the fact that it is a 16gb phone. I would have been MUCH more interested in a 32gb version of the 925 and I note MSFTisMIA was looking for the same. For us enthusiasts 16gb is not enough, and when you are pushing what is supposed to be a flagship product not having a 32gb version dampened sales.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Similar situation here. I got the T-Mobile version of the HTC 8x from Cowboom for $205 with tax/shipping just a week and a half ago. For me there was absolutely no real reason to pay $475 plus for a phone with the same amount of memory and also lacking an SD card. I would have liked a Lumia and the support that you get from Nokia, but that wasn't worth it for me. Every time there is a discussion about the 925 people bring up the fact that it is a 16gb phone. I would have been MUCH more interested in a 32gb version of the 925 and I note MSFTisMIA was looking for the same. For us enthusiasts 16gb is not enough, and when you are pushing what is supposed to be a flagship product not having a 32gb version dampened sales.

Nice to see you upgraded. If I knew you were making the jump, I'd have passed you over to ExpansysUSA for an unlocked 8X for $260 - including shipping. Hell, they have the Ativ S for $270 with shipping, and both Sprint & AT&T are robbing folks for the Neo - same phone in slightly different clothes. Smh...

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I have been on T-Mobile on and off for quite a few years. Most of the time I was on prepaid with a feature phone. Their prices and policies have usually been some of the best and back when I was one of their "Gold" members on prepaid I would consistently tell people about that plan.

These days I really don't have any brand loyalty to T-Mobile. They still have pretty much the best prices, but I question many of the decisions that they have made and absolutely despise their customer service regime. Unfortunately that style of customer service is common across tech companies, but that does not mean that it is good.

Their uncarrier/simple choice ideas are steps in the right direction; however I have doubts about the wisdom of their phone choice strategy and again I think they have their customer service regime on it's head, it disengages customers rather than engages them.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I have been on T-Mobile on and off for quite a few years. Most of the time I was on prepaid with a feature phone. Their prices and policies have usually been some of the best and back when I was one of their "Gold" members on prepaid I would consistently tell people about that plan.

These days I really don't have any brand loyalty to T-Mobile. They still have pretty much the best prices, but I question many of the decisions that they have made and absolutely despise their customer service regime. Unfortunately that style of customer service is common across tech companies, but that does not mean that it is good.

Their uncarrier/simple choice ideas are steps in the right direction; however I have doubts about the wisdom of their phone choice strategy and again I think they have their customer service regime on it's head, it disengages customers rather than engages them.

T-mo has to be aggressive. They know that for the next few years, wwhile they've got the benefits of the AT&T agreement, they need to build their network out. This will allow them to keep and attract new subscribers. The uncarrier plans are the start of things to that end.

They are the budget national carrier. Always have been. That's why their phone choices have always been so-so. Unlike AT&T/VZW, they cannot afford to have phones flop and write it off. The 810/820 was a US flop. Cannot blame t-mo for dropping it but why take that when you know what's coming down the pipeline?
As a consumer, your sole goal is to get the best bang for your buck, both economically and on principles. There is no loyalty in technology, except to the discovery of the next profitable idea. I went unlocked because as a consumer, I can live with certain trade offs...

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I've bit the bullet and upgraded. Good so far.....

I've got the real deal on my unlocked 8X. It is a nice update. Whenever I use my 920 (also unlocked) I realize how much I've adjusted to the new multitasking. Seriously though, it doesn't change the overall thought of the thread - carriers are more likely to update models that sell well. The poor sellers are sometimes actually the carriers' fault, but they will always have the option to cry "it didn't sell well", no matter the reason, as to why they can drag their feet with support. Yes, you buy a phone for what you can use it to do today, but if you buy one on contract, at least you want to make sure you get good mileage out of it. If we can get good support for things like cars, why not for phones too?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss