Lumia 810 - EOL - What about Firmware updates?

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm..now I am torn between getting a Lumia 822 and an HTC 8X since they are both 16GB devices. Any pros or cons? I am still going to keep my Lumia 810 as a back up device.

worldspy99

Nov 10, 2013
Visit site
I've bit the bullet and upgraded. Good so far.....

Is there a noob guide for getting the account/phone registered with MS so that one can put GDR3 on their WP8 phones? The MS website instructions were a bit daunting and I only have Windows 7 laptops so...

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm..now I am torn between getting a Lumia 822 and an HTC 8X since they are both 16GB devices. Any pros or cons? I am still going to keep my Lumia 810 as a back up device.

Except for the 720p resolution of the HTC 8X, all of the advantages are to the 822: external SD memory, AMOLED display, NOKIA/NOKIA/NOKIA.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site

Paul Verizzo

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
Hmmmmm........45 flipping pages of angst. The 810 is dead-ola. Yes, there may be yet another firmware update in the future. OTOH, maybe not.

Deal with it at your own emotional level.
Yes, I would very much like huge, continuing upgrades for my 810. I think the failure to include Wifi Calling with the last upgrades is inexcusable. OTOH, what am I going to do about it?
Looking down the road, my biggerst issue is that Nokia and TM seem to be fixated on low end and high end phone, little or nothing inbetween.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
T-Mobile has multiple issues, but one issue is pretending that the 925 is a high end phone. If they had a 32gb variant and sold it for a higher price then I would suggest that variant would be the high end version. As it is the 925 creates a dilemma in the minds of quite a few enthusiasts who are concerned with the 16gb no external memory issue.

I've had my HTC 8X for about two weeks now. I got it at $205 with tax, new. While there's some differences between it and the 925, there's just no way in hell that I would pay over double for a phone that like the 8X, has 16gb of memory.

RANT, OVER.....

P.S. I am happy as all hell being on WP 8 again.

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm with you on that one... When the 925 came out, it could have been considered 'higher end' but not by today's standards. Even as bad as the spec race is with the devices is the fact that T-Mo still requires the 1700/2100 AWS bands for most of their network coverage. This means a special version of every device just for themselves. Now, they have 45 million subs as of this month, so there's no small potatoes for actual numbers, but when compared to VZW and AT&T at over 100 Million each, the carrier that only controls 15% of the market doesn't get many favors.

When you combine the lower sub count with the new "pay by the month" non-subsidy pricing, you need to have plenty of aggressive handsets in house - like the 521 for example - because nobody wants to shell out $500 or add $20 to their bill every month for the next two years. T-Mobile will get more and more devices like the 521, the Moto G, or the Alcatel Evolve that will sell for the $100-200 range. People will buy this outright and avoid the higher cost of the expensive devices like the One, GS4 and 925. T-Mo is just setting itself up to be the value carrier and right now, they are winning. People get the low bill and an iPhone in their head and that's what they are buying.

As far as deals go, the MS stores have the 8X (8GB unlocked) for $249.99 right now, which is a pretty sweet deal despite it's small memory, that will work in the major metro areas, but not in outlying areas. Same story with the Aio Wireless Lumia 620 deal... Needs to be unlocked, but for $99.99 for a new device and $20 to unlock it, it's a pretty fantastic device for the price. Of course, going low end doesn't mean losing much performance wise - the Lumia 521 is a really solid device for $100. It could really use a FF camera, but other than that, it does a nice job and it's dirt cheap!

I would still like to see T-Mo bring in the 1300 series (whatever they want to call it) and sell it right at the $300 mark. That would work out to $15 for 20 months or $300 outright. The $15 a month pins your 2GB plan bill at $90-100 a month depending on taxes and puts you about $30-40 a month less than a comparable plan on Verizon or AT&T. Being able to walk out the door with a low powered phablet for $300 cash would also make a dent in the GN3 sales and cut financing costs for the company. It would be a win-win for both Nokia and T-Mobile.

That said, people claimed the 810 was a high end device when it came out... Same was said of the 925... At least the 925 shipped with a PureView camera and will run Black... You're right though... 32GB on board is almost a must - especially for those that use their devices for music/video/camera needs.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
I just looked up the specs for the 1320 and one of the things that struck me is the 8gb internal memory. I think that one of the conclusions that people should have from the 810 experience is that 8gb is simply too low for anyone that is somewhat an enthusiast. I'd like to suggest a general framework; 8gb devices are low end, 16 gb with no external memory are midrange, 32 gb and possibly 16gb with external memory are high end.

If WP had the ability to move applications to external memory that would make for different conclusions.

As it is right now my HTC 8x has six gigs free. I have all the programs installed that I really care about. There are a few programs I could delete if I really needed to, but overall there's not a lot of junk programs installed. My games are a different story. I have more games than I really would likely play with thirty one total including Xbox things like smartglass and extras. However I probably don't have much in the way of huge AAA games installed. I have no music on the phone and just a few ringtones. I do have some pictures saved to the phone, but not an incredible amount (seven). The pictures are mostly there to provide eyecandy for the rotating photos tile. That seems to be an argument that 16 gb is plenty, but I do not confuse my situation with the ranges of behavior for all or most people.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm with you on that one... When the 925 came out, it could have been considered 'higher end' but not by today's standards. Even as bad as the spec race is with the devices is the fact that T-Mo still requires the 1700/2100 AWS bands for most of their network coverage. This means a special version of every device just for themselves. Now, they have 45 million subs as of this month, so there's no small potatoes for actual numbers, but when compared to VZW and AT&T at over 100 Million each, the carrier that only controls 15% of the market doesn't get many favors.

When you combine the lower sub count with the new "pay by the month" non-subsidy pricing, you need to have plenty of aggressive handsets in house - like the 521 for example - because nobody wants to shell out $500 or add $20 to their bill every month for the next two years. T-Mobile will get more and more devices like the 521, the Moto G, or the Alcatel Evolve that will sell for the $100-200 range. People will buy this outright and avoid the higher cost of the expensive devices like the One, GS4 and 925. T-Mo is just setting itself up to be the value carrier and right now, they are winning. People get the low bill and an iPhone in their head and that's what they are buying.

As far as deals go, the MS stores have the 8X (8GB unlocked) for $249.99 right now, which is a pretty sweet deal despite it's small memory, that will work in the major metro areas, but not in outlying areas. Same story with the Aio Wireless Lumia 620 deal... Needs to be unlocked, but for $99.99 for a new device and $20 to unlock it, it's a pretty fantastic device for the price. Of course, going low end doesn't mean losing much performance wise - the Lumia 521 is a really solid device for $100. It could really use a FF camera, but other than that, it does a nice job and it's dirt cheap!

I would still like to see T-Mo bring in the 1300 series (whatever they want to call it) and sell it right at the $300 mark. That would work out to $15 for 20 months or $300 outright. The $15 a month pins your 2GB plan bill at $90-100 a month depending on taxes and puts you about $30-40 a month less than a comparable plan on Verizon or AT&T. Being able to walk out the door with a low powered phablet for $300 cash would also make a dent in the GN3 sales and cut financing costs for the company. It would be a win-win for both Nokia and T-Mobile.

That said, people claimed the 810 was a high end device when it came out... Same was said of the 925... At least the 925 shipped with a PureView camera and will run Black... You're right though... 32GB on board is almost a must - especially for those that use their devices for music/video/camera needs.

Um, ExpansysUSA has the international 8X unlocked for $255 - including shipping - and that's the 16GB model with shipping to you in under 4 days. That's a better deal as most would trade the possible LTE band on that phone for more storage, and the HSPA+ isn't terrible.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a Nokia again with 8GB internal. By your analysis, the 925 has no chance of selling because people see it as hgh end. Then t-mo should have done the right thing and gotten the 32GB version. I like the idea of them selling the 525 and the 1320, but if they did that, people will complain that they don't haven a high end model. The best fit for them would be to sell the 525 and a 32GB internal model or a 16GB with card slot (a 1325 with that and their LTE bands for $350 outright). Either way, the 925 was a miss on their part, with them taking the 16GB variant.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I just looked up the specs for the 1320 and one of the things that struck me is the 8gb internal memory. I think that one of the conclusions that people should have from the 810 experience is that 8gb is simply too low for anyone that is somewhat an enthusiast. I'd like to suggest a general framework; 8gb devices are low end, 16 gb with no external memory are midrange, 32 gb and possibly 16gb with external memory are high end.

If WP had the ability to move applications to external memory that would make for different conclusions.

As it is right now my HTC 8x has six gigs free. I have all the programs installed that I really care about. There are a few programs I could delete if I really needed to, but overall there's not a lot of junk programs installed. My games are a different story. I have more games than I really would likely play with thirty one total including Xbox things like smartglass and extras. However I probably don't have much in the way of huge AAA games installed. I have no music on the phone and just a few ringtones. I do have some pictures saved to the phone, but not an incredible amount (seven). The pictures are mostly there to provide eyecandy for the rotating photos tile. That seems to be an argument that 16 gb is plenty, but I do not confuse my situation with the ranges of behavior for all or most people.

As for,my needs, I can make due with the 16GB on my 8X because it is not my only device. So on mine, I've got 2.78GB free, with 6.5GB of music. I do have a few pictures on it, but that's because it as my primary once I bought it - I sold my 810 to a good friend of mine. My 920 has a little bit of music on it, his t most of the free space is dedicated to pictures and videos - that's why I bought it.

But for people have one device - if you ball in the high end bracket, 16GB may not be enough if you have one device. No offense but I know iPhone users who dislike being tied to iTunes for content management because their 16GB is full and they have too much stuff that it is hard for them to delete stuff. I think WP8 users are more inclined to putsh their music and camera features, especially if you've got the good camera like the PureView. Heck, even the 8X's camera is not bad (better than the 810 to me) once you got the settings how you want it. It is all,a sham,in interns of internal memory. 8GB + card slot is low end, 16 GB is midrange and anything above that is high end. Google the 525 and tell me what differences are there between that and the 810.

LumiaNation

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
8GB + card slot is low end, 16 GB is midrange and anything above that is high end. Google the 525 and tell me what differences are there between that and the 810.

810 SMOKES anything that starts with a 5..........

810 is a better phone.

Believe me I did my research as I was thinking of getting a 52x

Why the 810 is better hardware:

1) front cam(and a good one at that 1.2MP)
2) better back cam with zeiss optics
3) bigger screen +.3 inches
4) better screen - nokia clear black amoled found on higher end models
5) Nokia City Lens compatable(520 is no - no compass)
6) Double the RAM(than most 52x...not the new 525)
7) 1.5GHZ vs 1GHZ on 52x
8) camera flash/flashlight(apps)
9) 1080p video recording
10) NFC
11)Gorilla Glass
12)Proximity hardware(aka Glance)

So thats why I chose 810>52x - it's worth the money guys...

The 52x's are still nice little phones though.

810 is good, be smart with your space and use that SD slot for maps... etc..

IMO its high end aside from the lower res, but pushing less pixels will usually lead to better performance anyway ;)

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
@LumiaNation

You've made a compelling case that the 810 is better than a 52x, I will grant that. I realize that you are happy with your 810, I owned one and it is a nice phone. However even if it was one of the two best phones on T-Mobile at one point, it would be a mistake to ever call it high end. I am sorry but whether it is T-Mobile or a happy user of the device, no 8gb phone is high end. I am already using 8.5 gb of space on my HTC 8X and was close to stuffing the 810 when I owned it. No high end device requires one to be concerned about a reasonable installation of programs. A smart phone is a great tool with many different capabilities. What type of smart phone is it that requires that you always be concerned as to if you will be able to install that next program or take that next shot or video? A cheesy one.

I know that a few of us never really had problems with running out of space with the 810, but I think that was the minority. Many of us were concerned about getting close, and a few of us reset the phone a number of times. I never ran out of space, but I only used it for about a month or so, and I ended up getting close.

Memory on a WP device is a critical feature. Anytime T-Mobile or another carrier markets a phone they need to consider their target, and if they try to target the mid or high range with a 8 or 16 gb device respectively, then they should not be surprised if their sales are not as high as they would hope.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Happy Thanksgiving. Yes, the 810 is better than the 521/525, but if the carrier overpriced the 810, how would it sell? The sad thing is that t-mo will pick up the 525, and it will sell. Which is great, but it just goes to show you how businesses are searching for the next big thing to keep their hands in our pockets.

Again, I cannot blame them because that's the accepted business model. But at the end of the day, those businesses that show a little bit more consideration for their customers do well. t-mo has lost some of that.

Last edited:

LumiaNation

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
@LumiaNation

You've made a compelling case that the 810 is better than a 52x, I will grant that. I realize that you are happy with your 810, I owned one and it is a nice phone. ...... What type of smart phone is it that requires that you always be concerned as to if you will be able to install that next program or take that next shot or video? A cheesy one.

Happy Turkey Day Everybody!!!

First off Thank you for the compliment and response. I just wanted to be clear to the guy who asked whats the diff btwn 810 and 525. However I woudnt call the same phone a good phone and a cheesy phone in the same post.

I like the HTC8X for its nicer screen, but I also like having a lumia for the nokia apps and I like the removable storage sd option as well. I think the 810 is a very solid phone, and hate to see it bashed for lack of APP space, afterall - I can take that next shot or video as you say and store ALL my pics and movies on a 32 or even 64 GB micro card and have zero worries about upload services to trying and unload off the phone storage plus I am now way over the 16GB on the HTC. In fact, with the deals on 32 and 64GB card AND the added flexibility of having a card of that size for use in other devices - it is well worth it, so your space argument can be contested - I have a possible 72GB worth of storage(given its 8GB less APP storage - I will take that tradeoff over a 72GB CAPABLE device over a 16GB Capable one)

Also to add to my list above vs the 52x's - toss in

13)Qi wireless charging capable as well as a
14)better battery life over those guys.

810 Gets more slack than it deserves, its a GREAT phone and I love the smooth black rubbery matte finish as well. Its easier to snap pics with than the round edged glossy ones that tend to be slippery when holding like a cam.

b23h

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
The 810 is a nice phone and has some good qualities and I am happy that you have found peace with it. However I will never buy a 8gb phone again, external memory or not.

JM_T

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Awesome, that is what I wanted to know! :)

Anyone else running the GDR3 dev update on 810?

My 810 is doing great with GDR3 dev. No problems so far on the software/OS/apps side.

The only problem it had is with the user -- me! Had a 4ft drop on a concrete sidewalk... unprotected (I was showing off it's nice red wireless charging shell I bought two weeks back. Who would cover up such a pretty thing!). It surprisingly survived with just a small nick on the corner. This is one tough brick!

LumiaNation

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
My 810 is doing great with GDR3 dev. No problems so far on the software/OS/apps side.

The only problem it had is with the user -- me! Had a 4ft drop on a concrete sidewalk... unprotected (I was showing off it's nice red wireless charging shell I bought two weeks back. Who would cover up such a pretty thing!). It surprisingly survived with just a small nick on the corner. This is one tough brick!

NICE! GDR3 preview has been out over a month now and all i heard is great things, so I think I am going to grab it.... I have asked around and 3-4 people all said its good to go on the 810.

That isn't the only time I have heard about how tough this phone is either. I will probabaly have mine for years so that is good to hear :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb